Thinking of starting Eldar - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking of starting Eldar

Hello everyone!

As the title says, I really want to start Eldar. I've been playing 40k for about 5 years, and the whole time, I've thought about the sleek and devastating weaponry of the elite psychic-ninja-space elves.

I've wondered, how do they play? I'm looking for a force that I can tweak around a lot, I never stick with one list for long. And I prefer the cheap route when it comes to buying minis, I also really like plastics, and I'm a big fan of infantry with a few transports, and one or two heavy tanks. So before I go out buying, what are the best deals? Is the battleforce a good deal? I've heard Guardians aren't the best of troops.

So I guess I'm just looking for what works for you guys.

I couldn't think of anything funny, smart, or witty to say, so I said this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've just started playing with my eldar, and own just 750 points. Here are my impressions on the battle force units

I have mixed feelings about my guardians. With a mere 12 inch range, and paper mache armor, they are certainly hard to make thier points back with. Yet at the same time, they are by far one of our cheapest troop choice, comeing in at 85 points with a shuriken cannon. thier Shuriken Catapults can also do a suprising amount of punishment, but generally if they can fire thier catapults they can be charged next turn, so be careful. So while I have mixed impressions from my guardians, I'm thinking of getting Pathfinders instead of a second squad, so... yea.

Warwalkers however, are amazing. I've been running 2 with 4 shuriken cannons for 80 points. thats 12 s6 shots, for 80 points. It is very easy for them to make thier points back in spades. Especially against other light vehicles.

WaveSerpents are also great units. Our transports can move 24 inches, have special rules, and are the most reliable source of single shot anti tank in our army.

The biggest problem with the battleforce, is that Dire Avengers are so good and you only get 5 of them, which is an awkward number... since you'll generally want to run them in squads of 10. However with some good converting, you could buy 2 battleforces, convert one of the guardian squads into storm guardians, then you'd have 2 serpents, with a full avenger and storm guardian squad in them, 2 war walkers, and a guardian defender squad to hold objectives and give extra ranged support, and that would be a fairly competent army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

We play like a very complex game of rock paper sissors (sp?). Name an enemy unit and we have something that will trump it. Now getting a good mix of all those things into 1 army and getting them to the correct enemy unit is where the very complex part of it comes in. We are generally fast and pack alot of punch but are fragile and low in numbers.

As for what works for me I have found a fully mech army to be great. With our fast transports we out run most armies and several of our units can do drive by shootings (with doom from a near by psyker ).

We can play most styles of army from horde to MC spam, footslogging to mech. We do get a bit pricy though as most of our units only do one thing well so if you want to change your list often times it means changing a full unit not just the special weapons in squads.

The battle force is a fairly good deal the warwalker and waverserpent are solid units, the DAs are nice but as said you will probably want a full unit of them. The guardians get a bad rep and part of it is earned, but they are cheap come with a heavy weapon that can move and fire. Sit them on a back objective and when things get close set up and fire way with 2 shots each they can cause a good amount of hurt. The storm guardians are the backbone of my mech army but they need to be converted or you can get the kit from GW but they only come 8 to a set so you need multiples for 1 squad.

+ Reply to Thread