Its been a long time coming, but... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its been a long time coming, but...

...my Chaos list is nearly complete, just requiring a couple of DPs and three Vindis (which are currently in the meks workshop), so my thoughts are turning back to my first love, ORKS!

I've been reading various articles and this list is the result although there are some bits of it, where I'd appreciate the input of other Warlords. First though, I'll make a couple of points on which I'm not going to be shifted:
    1) Its a footslogging, green-tide, no-wheelz army; I'm too fond of converting and scratchbuilding vehicles and I'm not very quick at painting, so for the moment its a footslogging list and I'll start carving up tanks 'n trukks once all the boyz are fully painted.
    2) I don't like PKs on Warbosses; highest initative in the army and we'll slap him down to I1 so he'll get targeted in CC. I'm sorry, but I'm just not going to be moved on this one...

So the list:

HQ: Warboss with Big Choppa, 'Eavy Armour, Bosspole and either a Shoota or Kombi Shoota/Skorcha (80pts) - can't decide on the gun, but will be running him most of the time (need help here)

HQ: Big Mek with Kustom Force Field (85pts) - cover save when in the open!

Elites: 10 Lootas (150pts) - sit at the back, shoot stuff an' kontest objective

Elites: 10 Kommandos with two Burnas and Boss Snikrot (215pts) - stayin' in reserve, den leapin' out an' kausin' havoc (by the way, is Snikrot in addition to the 10 kommandos? e.g. is that skwad 11 orks strong?)

Troops: 5 Nobs with PK, Waaagh! Banner and Painboy (170) - Da Bosses kommand skwad (as it stands I've got 25pts left over for some extra kit for these guys, but what to take? I do want them all armed differently to keep 'em alive an' useful for longer)

Troops: 30 Boyz with Nob with PK and Bosspole (220pts) - unsure whether to take sluggas or shootas after reading Grax's article...

Troops: 30 Boyz with Nob with PK and Bosspole (220pts)

Troops: 10 Gretchin with Runtherd (40pts) - sit on objectives or act as a sacrifice in Annihilation.

Fast Attack: 5 Deffkoptas with TL Big Shootas (175pts) - Da ova distraction, outflankin' an' shootin' da rear ov da 'eavy stuff

Heavy Support: 3 Killa Kans with Big Shootas (120pts) - mainly to treat myself to some convertin'

Total: 1500pts (with the spare 25pts spent on kitting out the nobs)
    Total Kill Points: 10

NB: If I lose a Kan and drop the two mobs of boyz down to 20 boyz + Nob with PK and Bosspole, I can take a third mob of boyz + Nob with PK and Bosspole. In this case, one mob will be sluggas and the others will be shootas as per Grax's article.

So there we are. Thoughts and input from rival Warlords is much appreciated!

Last edited by EX550; April 20th, 2009 at 19:22. Reason: Damn those smilies, damn them all...
    If green power armour is good enough for the Fallen One, then its good enough for the rest of us...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x2)

Looks like a pretty solid list!
    Snikrot replaces the nob, so the kommandos would be a a ten man squad, or eleven if you like! They go up to fifteen after all.

Do your nobs have cybork bodies? 25 points will kit all five out with sum shiny metal bitz, which will keep them safe from nasty melta gunz and IG tanks!

I always take shootas when on foot, and sluggas when in trukks, since 58 Str 4 shots is brootul, even if it's only at eighteen inches!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

HQ: Warboss with Big Choppa, - well no PK is your loss. It's a bit silly to worry about initiative when you can kill everything in the game with this guy if you just give him a PK.

HQ: Big Mek with Kustom Force Field (85pts) - yeah okay, everyone does this too.

Elites: 10 Lootas (150pts) - crap

Elites: 10 Kommandos with two Burnas and Boss Snikrot (215pts) - these can be humorous....

Troops: 5 Nobs with PK, Waaagh! Banner and Painboy - you want 10 figures in this unit, some with choppas to soak damage.

Troops: 30 Boyz with Nob with PK and Bosspole (220pts) x 2 - beautiful! Sluggas are best for these huge mobs because you want to run and have no time for shooting.

Troops: 10 Gretchin with Runtherd (40pts) - fine

Fast Attack: 5 Deffkoptas with TL Big Shootas (175pts) - crap

Heavy Support: 3 Killa Kans with Big Shootas (120pts) - very nice, consider rokkits. These guys are BS3 and you may find yourself really needing a rokkit shot at some point in the fight. Split them into three different units if you're not already using slots. To hell with kill points.
    Last edited by Cossack; April 21st, 2009 at 16:41.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MethodicalMeat View Post
    Looks like a pretty solid list!
    Thanks!

...Do your nobs have cybork bodies? 25 points will kit all five out with sum shiny metal bitz, which will keep them safe from nasty melta gunz and IG tanks!
    Hmm... its a nice idea and I'll bear it in mind, but I'd have to convert the minis to show cybork bodies and after my chaos army I'm sick of converting infantry minis! Probably one to bear in mind for later...

Quote Originally Posted by Cossack View Post
    HQ: Warboss with Big Choppa, - well no PK is your loss. It's a bit silly to worry about initiative when you can kill everything in the game with this guy if you just give him a PK.
    Just out of interest (and I'm not getting at you Cossack), but aside from special characters, which other army outfits its Commander with a PF or equivalent? My other reason for disliking PKs on Warbosses is the dubious performance of PF on my Chaos Champions, which can be summed up as; They charge in with three attacks, hit once and fail to wound, not just once, but EVERY time! So yes, in theory my Warboss can kill everything in the game, just not when its me rolling the dice...

Elites: 10 Lootas (150pts) - crap

Fast Attack: 5 Deffkoptas with TL Big Shootas (175pts) - crap
    Why are they crap? I haven't used either yet, so some constructive advice would be helpful...

...I always take shootas when on foot, and sluggas when in trukks, since 58 Str 4 shots is brootul, even if it's only at eighteen inches!
    Troops: 30 Boyz with Nob with PK and Bosspole (220pts) x 2 - beautiful! Sluggas are best for these huge mobs because you want to run and have no time for shooting.
    Uh, some conflicting advice here guys! Anyone else want to add their thoughts?

Heavy Support: 3 Killa Kans with Big Shootas (120pts) - very nice, consider rokkits. These guys are BS3 and you may find yourself really needing a rokkit shot at some point in the fight. Split them into three different units if you're not already using slots. To hell with kill points.
    Not a bad idea regarding the rokkits... I guess it isn't a very anti-armour list really... Not too convinced about spliting them into three different units though.
    If green power armour is good enough for the Fallen One, then its good enough for the rest of us...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

140 (x3)

I totally subscribe to the concept that what works for me may not work for you, and vice versa. My Warboss seems to be able to claw his way into the Emperor's throne room, so I'm pretty impressed with him.

Maybe he has all of your warboss mojo too?

On the subject of Lootas I seem to be an island in a sea of loota-lovers. Maybe it's your theory in reverse? They are garbage when I use them and I would trade a loota for a 6 point boy with a choppa straight up. Mathhammer guys will give all kinds of nice stats, and sure that ONE TIME they fire 45 shots and hit half the time is great....but it just seems to be a weak point in my army.

Koptas are not so bad, but five is an incredible points sink. Take one with rokkits if you feel the need to mess with your opponent. Koptas are not game winners.

Sluggas vs. Shootas isn't really much of an argument, in my opinion. Both are good. I use both in my force. But if you have a huge 30-figure unit with no big shootas, it exists for one reason only - to smack stuff with a choppa. RUN RUN RUN every time you can, which of course gives you no opportunity to shoot. Toss in a shoot mob or two if you want...add big shootas but 30 is too many. Be sure to give the nob a PK because you will need it....

Kans have one huge weakness - they are HEAVY SUPPORT. Sometimes they walk on from the back of the table and really don't have a chance to get stuck in. That's when you need to shoot. Big shootas are fine, but having that rokkit shot is just...well, a nice option. It's the grot in me, I guess, being tactical and all. Three different units gives you FAR more options when using them. yeah, it's more kill points. I don't care about my kill points. My strategy is to kill everything that's not Ork and it seems to work pretty well.
    Last edited by Cossack; April 21st, 2009 at 18:55.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I totally subscribe to the concept that what works for me may not work for you, and vice versa. My Warboss seems to be able to claw his way into the Emperor's throne room, so I'm pretty impressed with him.

Maybe he has all of your warboss mojo too?

On the subject of Lootas I seem to be an island in a sea of loota-lovers. Maybe it's your theory in reverse? They are garbage when I use them and I would trade a loota for a 6 point boy with a choppa straight up. Mathhammer guys will give all kinds of nice stats, and sure that ONE TIME they fire 45 shots and hit half the time is great....but it just seems to be a weak point in my army.
    Ha! Yes, maybe your warboss is stealing the favour of Tzeentch whenever I'm rolling for my Chaos champion's PFs! Though to be fair, my Vindis must be stealing Tzeentch's favour from your Lootas whenever they roll to hit - only three bad scatter results in the last three games! In all honesty, I'll see how I get on with lootas - they'll be my ork equivalent of my ten-man-two-plasma plague marine squad, which stand around on objectives and shoot stuff coming too close

Koptas are not so bad, but five is an incredible points sink. Take one with rokkits if you feel the need to mess with your opponent. Koptas are not game winners.
    Hmm... I'll give 'em a go as they stand and see how I get on with 'em. Maybe swap 'em for some cheeky Stormboyz to act as a distraction instead...

Sluggas vs. Shootas isn't really much of an argument, in my opinion. Both are good. I use both in my force. But if you have a huge 30-figure unit with no big shootas, it exists for one reason only - to smack stuff with a choppa. RUN RUN RUN every time you can, which of course gives you no opportunity to shoot. Toss in a shoot mob or two if you want...add big shootas but 30 is too many. Be sure to give the nob a PK because you will need it....
    You insult me sir! Of course I'll be running both thirty-strong mobs of sluggas rather than shooting with them! I'm just leaning toward the two twenty-strong mobs of shootas and one twenty-strong mob of sluggas at the moment, since sluggas are alledgedly a complete waste of time in footslogging lists.

Kans have one huge weakness - they are HEAVY SUPPORT. Sometimes they walk on from the back of the table and really don't have a chance to get stuck in. That's when you need to shoot. Big shootas are fine, but having that rokkit shot is just...well, a nice option. It's the grot in me, I guess, being tactical and all. Three different units gives you FAR more options when using them. yeah, it's more kill points. I don't care about my kill points. My strategy is to kill everything that's not Ork and it seems to work pretty well.
    I can see what you're saying here, just not keen on giving my opponents easy kill points thats all. I'll be leaving the weapons removable in any case and it'll be easy enough to try the list with a kan mob or three individual kans so I can see which works best for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

140 (x3)

A couple of things...

Yes a 20-figure mob of shootas is good. I use one. I've also given the nob a PK after too many times of wishing he had one.

Sluggas are better because they WIN GAMES for me. Well, them and the Warboss with his Nobz....

Which leads me to Kans....they do not win games. They screw with your opponents' heads and cause them to make DECISIONS. Sometimes they are right, sometimes wrong, but in both cases they will run low on mental energy by the time you are beating the hell out of them with choppas. Kans are imposing and are harder to kill when you split them up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You've convinced me! Separate kans it is and to hell with the kill points!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

couple of points

1. warboss needs a power klaw

2. Lootas are good just take more like 14-15 and then you will kill something

3. if you are going to take a little squad of nobs give them a trukk, so you can be sure the warboss and the nobs will get to charge

4. take shootas as once you get to a objective you want them to be able to still kill something without leaving the objective

5. Deffkoptas should have rokkits

6. Killa Kans should have rokkits, the reason for all the rokkits is orks struggle with enermy armour so you need to maximise your chances of killing them
    ZODGROD WORTSNAGGA
    SNAKEBITE RUNTMASTER
    (were are my Super-Runts)

+ Reply to Thread