500 pt combat patrol tourney - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

500 pt combat patrol tourney

Have a local tourney coming up - 500 points - combat patrol - 4 games on a 4x4 table...

some rather stringent tourney rules:

Total army points CANNONT exceed 500 pts.

No models allowed with a 2+ save of ANY kind
    No models with greater than 2 wounds allowed for any reason.
    No vehicles with a total armour value (F+S+R) greater than 33 allowed
    No creatures with a toughness above 6 allowed
    1+ troops choice must be taken rather than 2+
    HQ choices are 0-1. They do NOT need to be taken, and no more than 1 may be taken

So I've thought of a few options... narrowing it down to two very different lists....

List One - Genestealers!

Elite: Lictor
    Feeder Tendrils; Flesh Hooks; Rending Claws; Scything Talons
    Troops: Genestealers
    8 Genestealers @ 192 Pts
    Feeder Tendrils; Scuttlers; Rending Claws; Scything Talons
    6 Genestealers @ 114 Pts
    Scuttlers; Rending Claws
    6 Genestealers @ 114 Pts
    Scuttlers; Rending Claws

Total Roster Cost: 500 (plus nothing on the table on turn one - might have the element of surprise here)

List Two - Swarmy!

HQ: Warriors 4 Warriors @ 152 Pts
    Enhanced Senses +1 BS; Extended Carapace +1 Save; Toxin Sacs +1 St; Twin-linked Devourer; Synapse Creature

Troops: Gaunt Brood 8 Gaunt Brood @ 72 Pts
    Fleshborer; Without Number

Troops: Gaunt Brood 8 Gaunt Brood @ 72 Pts
    Fleshborer; Without Number

Troops: Ripper Swarm 6 Ripper Swarm @ 60 Pts

Troops: Hormagaunts 12 Hormagaunts @ 144 Pts
    Adrenal Glands +1 In; Adrenal Glands +1 WS; Scything Talons

Total Roster Cost: 500 (will have big problems with any armor. but there'd be lots of em!
    )

So what do you think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd go with swarmy, just for the fact that you have the versatility of ranged weapons and close combat in the gaunts. Looks like it'll be very bendable in combat. : D But ugh, do I hate fighting against Tyranids T_T Anyways, hope this helps!

Sincerely,
    Aaron

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How will your second list deal with AV11?

Or long ranged AV10?
    As of Tyranid 5th Ed. codex I have the Gaunts I wanted. I did, however, loose the sniperfexs I relied upon and they were more important then the gaunts.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

Well id actually take the stealer list and take a broodlord with feeder tendrils, which ends up cheaper and far more effective than a lictor. if you have the points, get toxin sacs, comes in at 83 points and far better than a lictor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem is... can't take a broodlord - as he has 3 wounds.... which is my dilemma as if I take troops that need synapse, all I can use is warriors (as Tyrants, Broodlords and Zoanthropes all violate the tournament rules)

Anything with an armor value will be immune to the second list, and I worry with the first list that although can penetrate armor - have a low model count

I think the first list will struggle against orcs / anything with massed shooting

The second list will be ineffectual against any armor (at least there won't be any landraiders with the AV 33 rule - but still, a devilfish shouldn't be impenetrable to my army or I'm gonna have troubles!!!)

So I'm kinda stuck - not knowing which will fare better in an all comers enviornment (which around here means about 50% of some marine variation - but maybe more IG with the new book?)

Was thinking the stealers could come in and make it to somewhere useful with fleet fairly easily with the outflank... however low models and no shooting, but don't need synapse and can crack armor if lucky

The swarm will have some shooting which on mass can take out normal marines (as there'll be no termies with the rules of the tournament) but can't scratch armor...

Oh, and the lictor was there more for theme and to give that all important re-roll to get those stealers outflanking (my worry with list one was that only one group would get in - which may equal them being nuked!)

....my brain hurts now.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why not throw a Venom cannon onto your warriors for your second list?
    You would have to shuffle some points (and thus remove a few models) and would consume your squad's shooting potential just for a few str7 shoots, but it would give you the punch you would be lacking.
    As of Tyranid 5th Ed. codex I have the Gaunts I wanted. I did, however, loose the sniperfexs I relied upon and they were more important then the gaunts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never had much luck with venom cannons on warriors, although to be honest I've only tried it a couple of times (as I had one modelled up anyway).... This is less to do with the stats of the warrior and more to do with my tendency to miss! (which is why I favoured the devourers to mitigate my rotten luck!)

my worry with the warriors is that they're a fairly big target due to the synape havoc if they were taken out... with only a few of them that would be pretty easy to accomplish I'd think - unless I can engage as quick as possible....

Has anyone had any experience with smaller stealer lists in these low point games??? are my worries about low model count overblown or realistic?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say go with the genestealers.

High number is a really good thing especially in combat patrol cause no one can really put out that mch firepower. However. You have 4 warriors for synapse 8 wounds total. If I were playing against you I would use ALL of my power to kill those and when they are down, you are out.

+ Reply to Thread