1750 pt Eldar vs Nids and IG - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1750 pt Eldar vs Nids and IG

Hey everyone, I'm a new player to Warhammer 40k and rather than waste time, effort, and money on a painfully inept army that will likely lie down and die on sight of an opposing army, I decided to attempt to enlist the help of some experienced players to get me on the right track.

It didn't take long for me to decide on building an Eldar army. I simply love the sleek weaponry, the "hard hitting yet fragile" concept , and most especially: the psychic madness. Me and a few buddies took up the game not too long ago and I will mostly be going against Tyranids and Imperial Guard (and rarely Chaos SM). I am totally at a loss on how to beat horde armies such as these, but I have attempted to create an army to face them. I eventually (for now) hope to reach 1750 pts and heres the list I have so far. Any constructive criticism/advice would be very welcome!

Hq: Eldrad Ulthran 210
    Farseer w/ doom, guide, runes of witnessing and spirit stones: 130

Troops: x9 Dire Avengers, Exarch, Power wep, shimmersheild, Bladestorm: 162
    x9 Dire Avengers, Exarch, Power wep, shimmersheild, Bladestorm: 162
    x12 Guardians w/ Warlock w/ conceal, scatter laser: 156

Elites: 5 Firedragons, exarch w/ fire pike, mounted on the Falcon 116
    5 Striking Scorpians, exarch w/ scorpians claw, shadow strike 143
    5 Howling Banshees, Exarch w/ executioner, warshout 123

Heavy Support: Wraithlord w/ wraithsword, brightlance, scatterlaser 160
    falcon (w/ scatterlaser, Pulse laser, vectored engines, holofields) 185

That brings the total to 1547 so far, I know I probably need serpents but I don't know what to do with them and what loadout to give them. What should I do to fill the extra points? Thanks guys for any advice you can give me.

Last edited by Rustymonkey; May 5th, 2009 at 01:19.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

hey man

first of all, the wraithlord can't have three weapons, it can only have two. Giving it the bright lance and wraithsword may be cool, as your primary tank buster in the guard he can shoot that thing has he moves up to engage, and the wraithsword should make him all the more effective in cc with tyranid zillas.

Most people will say this, so I'll just say it first. Drop the Shimmershild power weapon, leave bladestorm, max the dire avenger squads and throw them both in serpents. Zooming up to genestealers, tyranid warriors, any guardsmen infantry unit, bladestorm should devastate. If you can figure a way to fandango "Guide" or "Doom" from either seer, if not both for one bladestorm, you can carefully coordinate the destruction of units. Actually, since you won't be running a seer council, maybe leave one of the avenger squads at 9 and throw a farseer with one of them, to ensure maximum effectiveness. For the serpents, a lot of people take advantage of the twin linked lances, but it's really preference/point availability.

Dragons in the Falcon is a great combo. You should carefully use them to pick out whatever the biggest threat in vehicle/carnifex/monstrous creature is. The problem with them is a lot of times after they destroy their target, they are terribly vulnerable, especially with the nids. Using them to destroy things left alone is ideal. They normally pop anything in one go, 6 of them should ensure that. Again, guide and doom literally double or triple your chances. Firepike is preference, but if that's the only thing in range and the fusion guns aren't, you didn't put them in a good spot.

Vectored engines, eh I don't really know. Holofields and Star engines both seem to be more useful in it's use and survivability. Star engines are damn good to get that thing exactly where it needs to be, but you want it firing too, holofields are always a great choice, literally double the things survivability.

For the elites, I don't really see banshees as really useful for horde armies like guard or nids. Make them all scorpions, they get more attacks, better armor, and stronger. They will simply dish out more and last longer. the power weapon and str 3 of banshees won't be terribly helpful. Scorpions claw, as you've realized, is valuable if you get in with some bigger bugs.

For the rest of your points, some fast highly manueverable units like spiders or hawks could be fun. Guard have a tough time with that, and nids may get distracted. high rate of shots on both those units, good strength on spiders with really high deceptive movement, hawks have good range, lots of shots, big blast templates and anti vehicle capability. I'd be tempted to use some hawk treachery for the guard battle.

Make sure you have a well set out plan for exactly who eldrad is supporting and where, you will have the oppurtunity in this list to give two dooms, two guides + some fortunes here and there A TURN, and you're paying a lot of points to do it. this is incredibly useful and allows your precision strategy to work over twice as effectively. Just make sure you're accurate in your decision making, because your paying the points for luck to be on your side.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x4)

You need serpents. Put scatter lasers/missile launchers on them (versus IG pinning test can be usefull and missile launcher from Eldar is a pinning weapon plus is a secondary effective weapon against those pesky hellhounds/bane wolf/chimera

Depending on how much terrain you play you could need some flamers in your army. A storm guardian unit can sometime make wonders. Also remember the wraithlord that have 2 flamers

Take banshees out, maximize scorpions.

I would change the dragon exarch weapon with a flamer also. Is usefull when their tanks/monstuos creatures are guarded by gaunts, infantery. With correct placement you can fire the flamer at the tank and kill infatery behind, at a side.

Some hawks are also ok especially with an exarch with sunrifle(my personal love for pinning weapons against IG). They can also kill tanks, put a large blast on deep strike etc.

You will have to play your movements carefully and you need maximum mobility with this setup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm...I really like the sound of Hawk treachery...
    Thanks for helping me out, I now see a lot of mistakes and unnessesary units/upgrades in my army. I was pretty unsure about the Banshees but now I can see the fun in slaughtering guardsmen and guants with Scorpians heh heh, but when you (niraco) said max out the scorpians, did you mean have 2 squads of ten? And how should I use them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, so I made a revised army list using your suggestions and...well...here goes:

Troops: x10 Dire Avengers, Exarch, Duel Shuricats, Bladestorm: 152
    x10 Dire Avengers, Exarch, Duel Shuricats, Bladestorm: 152
    x10Guardians w/ Warlock w/ conceal, scatter laser: 135

Elites: 6 Firedragons, exarch w/ DB Flamer, crack shot, mounted on the Falcon 113
    7 Striking Scorpians, exarch w/ scorpians claw, shadow strike 159

Heavy Support: Wraithlord w/ wraithsword, brightlance, 140
    falcon (w/ scatterlaser, Pulse laser, holofields) 165

Transport: Wave Serpent w/ EML 120
    Wave Serpent w/ Scatterlaser 115

That makes it an even 1750 pts exactly

Any feedback on the revised list?
    Last edited by Rustymonkey; May 6th, 2009 at 03:34.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmm...
    i would only take one squad of scorpions, and i'd drop the wraithlord and get both DA squads a waveseprent, that means you cana zoom up on their flank, fortune the waveserpents/ falcon, as you can use it 3 times with eldrad, who i also use a lot, then your tanks are getting a 4+ save with re rolls against any glancing/ penetrating hits they take, then with 2 da and fire dragons you could literally obliterate one flank, plus with 4 tanks against nids, your faster then them, and their going to have alot of trouble shooting you down, and guards heavy weapons hit on 4's anyway, thats my opinion, against the guard n nids go mechanized on their ass, and then have the scorpions to come in and tie up a bunch of units, and i would have the 1 squad of ten. thats my opinion (:

Tj
    Death to the Alien!
    who likes cockroaches anyway.
    Ordos Xenos 4/0/3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, so I got a tenative list on the nid army...seems quite big but its what I might be up against if it helps those...er...helping me :

Hive Tyrant HQ Total: 213pts

Broodlord HQ Total: 87pts

Tyranid Warrior Brood Elite Total: 200pts

Genestealer Brood TroopTotal: 176pts

Genestealer Brood Troop Total: 176pts

Genestealer Brood Troop Total: 168pts

Genestealer Brood Troop Total: 176pts

Carnifex Heavy-Support Total: 120pts

Carnifex Heavy-Support Total: 120pts

Termagaunts Troop total: 144

Termagaunts Troop (total: 144

Termagaunts Troop total: 144

Total: 1750

...I admit I am intimidated...but I dont know really anything about the Nids so...
    Last edited by Rustymonkey; May 6th, 2009 at 23:40.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

first things first quickly remove those points costs for each item, it's a copyright infringement, and look at that list, NO long range tankhunting at all! refer to my last post on how to play on that, he has no range weapons above like str 4!
    Last edited by Talljester; May 6th, 2009 at 07:37. Reason: woops, typo
    Death to the Alien!
    who likes cockroaches anyway.
    Ordos Xenos 4/0/3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

dude rustymonkey man,

if that's really his last for sure, that is a CRAPPY tyranid list. if you go mechanized, you'll beat that list. more prisms, falcons,SERPENTS, even jet bikes the better. heck the only thing really mobile in his list is the tyrant and a couple TL bright lances on some serpents, pulse laser shots, prisms, will break that guy with no body guards.

I mean honestly, DA bladestorm will eat gaunts,genes and warriors. If you keep things mobile enough you can fly so fast and far out of his carnifex's way that you can make those guys obsolete.

Keep the scatter laser on the falcon, if it's in your cards I would just take a prism instead of wraithlord, that will devastate any unit it hits, guide it. put TL lances on your serpents and take out the tyrant, bladestorm genes, if dragons are staying then sacrifice them to take out tyrant (sure thing) or fex.

scatter lasers and bright lances. 36" range,take out thebugs and thebig ones. you got a shot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I think he must have had his list torn apart because he told me he'll change it, hmm, so maybe I can find a way to fully mechanize my infanty (except scorpians) with another serpent perhaps? Maybe a falcon as well to ferry Eldrad or something around if I really cut the points? Or should I instead go with the fire prisim? I also don't know what anti-tank Nids can field when he decides to fix his list.

K so here are my 4 possible lists:

The Original:

Elites: 6 Firedragons, exarch w/ DB Flamer, crack shot, mounted on the Falcon 113

Heavy Support: Wraithlord w/ wraithsword, brightlance, 140
    falcon (w/ scatterlaser, Pulse laser, holofields) 165

#2:

Heavy Support: Falcon (w/ scatterlaser, Pulse laser, holofields) 165

Wave Serpent w/ EML 120
    Wave Serpent w/ TL Brightlances 135

#3:

6 Striking Scorpians, exarch w/ scorpians claw, shadow strike 143
    6 Striking Scorpians, exarch w/ scorpians claw, shadow strike 143

Heavy Support: Falcon (w/ scatterlaser, Pulse laser, holofields) 165
    Falcon (w/ scatterlaser, Pulse laser, holofields) 165
    Fire Prism w/ Holofields 150

Transport: Wave Serpent w/ Scatterlaser 115

Total: 1753

#4:

10 Striking Scorpians, exarch w/ scorpians claw, shadow strike, stalker 212
    10 Striking Scorpians, exarch w/ scorpians claw, shadow strike, stalker 212

Heavy Support: Falcon (w/ scatterlaser, Pulse laser, holofields, spirits stones) 175
    Falcon (w/ scatterlaser, Pulse laser, holofields) 165

Transport: Wave Serpent w/ Scatterlaser 115

Total: 1751
    Last edited by Rustymonkey; May 7th, 2009 at 02:19.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast