500 pts, first real attempt at an army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

500 pts, first real attempt at an army

HQ

Shas'vre 'Crisis' Battle suit, PR, MP, Multi-Tracker = 72

Elites

3 Stealth team w/ shas'vre equipped with FB and targeting array=116

Troops

10 FW w/ Shas'ui+ Bonding Knife + HWDC w/ 2 gun drones=135

12 Kroot=84

Devilfish w/disruption pod = 85

Total: 492

Please feel free to criticize. Being my first attempt I am sure I screwed something up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeev View Post
    HQ

Shas'vre 'Crisis' Battle suit, PR, MP, Multi-Tracker = 72

A Commander level XV8 is Shas'el minimum.

Elites

3 Stealth team w/ shas'vre equipped with FB and targeting array=116

Two things: 1) upgrading to Shas'vre is a waste of points since the T-Ldr upgrade can take all the same bits and pieces. 2) if you give the Team Leader a Targeting Array then you have to give the other two team members some type of battlesuit support system. Check out the wording again in the Stealth suit entry. However, you sort of "did the right thing" in that you upgraded the BS of the guy with the Fusion Blaster!

Troops

10 FW w/ Shas'ui+ Bonding Knife + HWDC w/ 2 gun drones=135

Ok, but normally I wouldn't be including Drones in a FW team as I prefer the pulse rifles on the FWs.

12 Kroot=84

No problems there

Devilfish w/disruption pod = 85

Good

Total: 492

Please feel free to criticize. Being my first attempt I am sure I screwed something up.
    That's not a bad effort for your first list. Whenever you're making out a Tau list though, always make sure to read the "small print" in the codex entries - battlesuit support systems/Shas'vre stuff for example as mentioned above.

Hope this helped a little.

E.
    Last edited by eiglepulper; May 6th, 2009 at 09:49.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright, here is my hopefully fully legal army.

HQ

Shas'el Battlesuit W/ PR, MP, MT, and HWTL = 92pts

Elites

3 Stealth Team, W/ TL + FB, TA, TL, and DC= 116

Troops

10 FW, w/ Shas'ui + BK (All have pulse rifles)= 115

12 Kroot = 84 pts

Devilfish w/ DP = 85 pts

Total = 492

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Well, we're getting there!

Your Stealth team members have taken Drone Controllers as their Battlesuit Support system. If you take a DC or a HWDC, you are obliged to take at least one drone of whatever breed. To be honest, in a 500pt list I would take the 3-man Stealth team and just give them a T-Ldr with a Bonding Knife. Fusion Blaster is fair enough, but I wouldn't waste the points on the TA as that is only opening up difficulties for you to find spare points to fulfil the rules for the Stealths and at the same time not decimate other units in order to scare up those points. Taking this set-up means it costs 102pts.

I also wouldn't bother with giving your Shas'el a HWTL. Those are only used if there is a unit of 2 or more suits, and even then I would be hesitant to choose them. The general theory of a Tau army is to choose an enemy unit and concentrate firepower on it to annihilate it. Splitting fire is all very well but it reduces the overall effect against a single enemy unit. I would rather hit a single unit with 10 shots and do serious damage than hit two units with 5 and cause minimal damage.

Target Locks *are* useful though in Broadside units, but since those units do not figure in this list there is no point in further discussion down that line.

Sooo.....you have now saved enough points to increase your Fire Warrior unit to its maximum 12-man status, or you could bump them up by 1 and do some alterations on your Commander. I would be looking at a Fireknife+ set-up: MP/PR/TA/HWMT = 97pts.

You still have 7pts, so if you have one more Kroot model, throw him into the pot. If not, take a TA on your Devilfish

Your list might now look something like this:
    Shas'el Fireknife+ 97pts
    3-man Stealth unit: T-Ldr + BK/Fusion 102pts
    11 FWs, 'Ui+BK 125pts
    Devilfish: DP 85pts
    12 Kroot 84pts

Total 493pts.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I only have 11 FWs
    tl
    Ill take off the HW off the Battlesuit

No more kroot

(im working from the Battleforce box only)

My Stealths are glued (/facepalm) so I will probably need to take the Fusion blaster because of the general WYSIWYG rule that seems to be the norm. So...yeah...that will probably work lol. Maybe I can mess around with it more after i get more piecies lol.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

596 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by zeev View Post
    well i only have 11 fws

sorry, i didn't remember the point about using the battleforce box. Stick with 11 fws, make one of them into a 'ui with a bk. My points were wrong for my original suggestion of 12 fws+ 'ui/bk anyway; i misread my own intentions!! The cost for the 11-man team with the 'ui/bk would still be 125pts. *slaps self for confusing zeev.*

tl
    ill take off the hw off the battlesuit
    good plan. As stated, it isn't needed here.

no more kroot
    okidoki. That gives you the points for that vehicle targeting array then.

(im working from the battleforce box only)

my stealths are glued (/facepalm) so i will probably need to take the fusion blaster because of the general wysiwyg rule that seems to be the norm. So...yeah...that will probably work lol. Maybe i can mess around with it more after i get more piecies lol.

stick with the fusion on the t-ldr. It won't do any harm to have a melta weapon available. Also, as you mentioned, the tournament rules about wysiwyg will probably come into it anyway.
    e.

+ Reply to Thread