Triple Cheese-Lord list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Triple Cheese-Lord list

I've been thinking about different 1500 point list make ups and love the old school Wraithlords, have 3 of them. Does this list make good use of them?

155pts Avatar

123pts Farseer, Singing Spear, Spirit Stones, Doom, Guide

155pts Wraithlord: 2 flamers, EML, Brighlance

125pts Wraithlord: 2 flamers, EML, Wraithsword

140pts Wraithlord: 2 flamers, Brightlance, Wraithsword

175pts 5xWraithguard

46pts Spiritseer w/witchblade and Enhance

152pts 10xDire Avengers, Exarch: Twin Shuricats, Bladestorm

125pts Wave Serpent: Twin Linked Scatter Lasers, Spirit Stones

103pts 11xGuardian Squad: Scatter Laser

200pts Vyper Squadron(2) Shuriken Cannons, Star Engines, Holo-Fields

1499 points

Farseer rides with the Avengers in the Serpent, get out, destroy, hop back in. Wraithguard and spiritseer center the army with the WLords nearby. Avatar slogs with guardian screen, while the Vypers fly full speed. Hoping there are too many targets to focus on. Any suggestions?

Last edited by mortifactor; May 10th, 2009 at 06:19.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

I run a three lord list, it's not really all that cheesy! Mainly because of what you sacrifice to get them, no prisms falcons war walkers or reapers!

regardless, I love the lords so i applaud your decision.

Personally, in your particular list, i would give every lord a lance. 3 BS4 lances is a pretty decent anti tank base. Then put on the swords or EMLS to taste.

3 lords with avatar and farseer is BRUTAL and good. I like the guardian shield with the avatar too. I am critical of the vypers and of the wraithguard unit. Firstly, in my opinion only, if you're going to take footslogging wraithguard with a spiritseer, you shoud give them conceal instead of enhance. I mean, if they are working in a slow unit with the 3 lords around, people that can avoid them are going to, and they are going to opt to shoot from far away instead with some big guns. The 5 cover save is actually going to be useful I think, and enhance I mean, they aren't a unit you really want to see combat..

Vypers...flaky as they are, I'm not a fan, and it just seems like investing two vehicle upgrades and spending 200 points is blah.

I would give the lords lance, but twinlinked lances on the serpent, and then use your monstrous creature fun to worry about the vehicles. consequently, drop the wraithguard unit and put a spiritseer with conceal in the guardian squad, maybe even beef that squad to 20. Other option...drop the guard and spiritseer and get harlies with a shadowseer. NOthing like a fat harlie unit with seer and kisses with wraithlord and avatar and guardian shield. pretty intimidaing center force for that serpent and maybe if you keep those vypers to scoot aroundthe sides.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    194 (x7)

Why do you only have one tank? If you only have the one Wave Serpent, it's going to get locked on to by all the heavy weapons your opponent can muster (if they have any sense) and is probably going to get destroyed in the first turn. Even two would be marginally better, but I'd say take three - one for the Guardians, one for the Farseer and Dire Avengers and maybe one for the Wraithguard as well.

I don't agree with the Vypers, they're just too easy to destroy and not really worth it, they can even be destroyed with a well-placed bolter shot if it gets some good rolls (two 6s in a row). I'd replace that unit with a unit of Warp Spiders, it'll be a lot cheaper and of far more effectiveness and it'll also clear some points away for the extra Wave Serpents. I personally don't think you have enough men for a 1500 point list but I suppose that's what comes of having three Wraithlords and an Avatar

DiW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, good suggestions. I am building the list from what I own. The Harlequins would fit great with the Lords, but I don't own any, yet. I switched out the wraithguard, even though I really want to find a place for them. Instead, for lack of a better choice, I put a guardian squad w/spiritseer in their place. Took out the Vypers, knew they would get flack, and replace them with a small squad of spiders. All three Lords have BL now. As for the serpent, I only included one because I only have one, plus if the enemy concentrates all fire on the serpent, my 3 wraithlords and avatar advance untouched. I'm hoping they will instead spread their fire out over too many juicy targets.

155pts Avatar

135pts 15xGuardian Squad w/ Scatter Laser

40pts Warlock w/witchblade and Conceal

155pts Wraithlord: 2 flamers, EML, Brightlance

46pts Spiritseer w/witchblade and Conceal

127pts 14xGuardian Squad w/ Scatter Laser

123pts Farseer, Singing Spear, Spirit Stones, Doom, Guide

152pts 10xDire Avengers, Exarch: Twin Shuricats, Bladestorm

125pts Wave Serpent: Twin Linked Scatter Lasers, Spirit Stones 1346

162pts 5xWarp Spiders: Exarch w/dual spinners, powerblades, Surprise Assault, Withdraw

1500 points exactly.
    I've got plenty of other models for replacement, scorps, banshees, vypers, reapers. I'm going to get a squad of Harlies w/shadowseer as soon as I can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    70 (x3)

yeah - I don't think all the fire will be concentrated on your Serpent because of the monstrous creatures you have.

Let us know when you've playtested it a couple of times, I'm interested - I really like wraithlords, but up until now my love for prisms has been too great to make room for any

~ L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x1)

I've been running fire prisms lately and I gotta admit that I prefer a wraith lord with a wraith sword to a fire prism. It's 15 pts cheaper, a whole lot more resilient, and more reliable a threat than that dang scattering template.

I'm a big advocate of only kitting wraithlords with either a single BL, a single sword, or shuricannon/scatter laser. If you cross kit 'em then something will always be poorly matched. If I put a sword on a BL'd wraithlord then if I get into assault to use the sword that's a bunch of points of BL that's gonna get wasted, but if I just sit and shoot em, then the sword is wasted. If you want it for anti inf, you can get 7 shots with the shuri scatter combo, but if you throw a BL in there then it's gonna be a very expensive single wound.

So i guess that my suggestion is make one of the wraith lord's a CC lord, one of em a BL lord, and the other an anti inf lord. With the points saved there you can throw a EML or BL on the wave serpent, or even a BL or two on the guardians if you are worried about anti tank, or you could use those points to get another small squad of DA's or bikes.
    Last edited by FartsMcGee; May 11th, 2009 at 20:46.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

One thing is for sure. Taking Eldar things in pairs or trios is pretty devastating...and it's pretty affordable points wise. I actually do something really similar to what farts suggested..I have a lord with lance only,lord with scatter laser and one i'm still debating, probably a shuricannon and wraithsword.

I just suggested the 3 BL lords because 1. it would look cool and 2. it kind of makes sense from a different tactical approach. If you put a TL lance on the serpent and keep the scatters in the guardian squad, that should be pretty balanced. Also, the addition of spiders I think works well in this list, especially for their versatility, they should ALWAYS be able to get to the back armor and mess up vehicles.

Bottom line, 3 lords and an avatar is what... 9 T8 wounds and 4 or 5 T6 wounds with an invul save? It's really pretty hard to stop.

+ Reply to Thread