1500 tournament but friendly - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

1500 tournament but friendly

I want a list that'll be fun to play with (and against!), competitive, score well at tournaments, enjoyable to paint and model. I don't ask for much, huh?

Farseer - Doom with three Warlocks (two Witchblades, one Singing Spear) - 158

Striking Scorpions (x6) - Exarch, Scorpion Claw, Shadowstrike - 143
    Howling Banshees (x10) - Exarch, Mirror Blades, Wave Serpent with Shuriken Cannons - 282

Dire Avengers (x8) - Exarch, Dire Sword, Wave Serpent with Shuriken Cannons - 218
    Guardians (x10) - Scatter Laser - 95
    Guardians (x10) - Scatter Laser
    Rangers (x5)

Swooping Hawks (x6) - Exarch, Hawk's Talon - 148

War Walkers (x3) - Missile Launcher, 2x Shuriken Scannon, 3x Scatter Laser - 160
    Dark Reapers (x3) - 105

So, what do you all think? Strengths? Weaknesses? Any advice will be gratefully received.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x1)

You have a pretty serious lack of anti-tank, and running two different CC choices in a list this size may not pay off. Swap the scorpions for fire dragons in a falcon or WS and i think that you'll have a much better time of it.

The three man council ain't so hot. It's not enough hits in CC to be feared, and with out fortune they are gonna fall pretty quick. They will do a good job against vehicles in CC, but with only 5 wounds on a 4+ good luck getting em that close.

I personally think that swooping hawks are pretty terrible for their point cost. You could definately trade those puppies in for another WS, warp spiders, falcon, wraithlord, pretty much anything would be better than those suckers, especially in what appears to be a first try with eldar.

Dark Reapers are evil, but the exarch offers some really sick upgrades that you could definately gain with.

If you are going to take rangers, you need to up em to pathfinders, the nominal price increase per model takes them to a 2+ cover save and three chances for a AP1/rending wounds.

There isn't much point of putting the diresword in WS DA's, cause you really shouldn't be assaulting stuff out of the WS, but rather retreating back into it after you shoot. Bladestorm and dual shuricats will certainly serve you better.

Also you might want to think about specialing your war walkers a little bit more. Since they can only shoot at one thing per turn, the way you have em kitted now makes it so that some of those shots will be wasted with the ELM's, but that's just a personal preference. A mess of scatter laser shots are really fun but shuricannon shots aren't bad either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your list closely resembles my first list when i started eldar (and 40K, for that matter). It will look great, but unfortunately won't do that well competitively. I feel like you're trying to squeeze WAY to many different TYPES of units into a 1500 pt list. Any savvy player will quickly pick your army apart piecemeal. Sadly, redundancy is an important thing in a competitive list, and yours lacks this. Additionally, it lacks the mobility where eldar really shine.

>>Farseer - Doom with three Warlocks (two Witchblades, one Singing Spear) - 158
    Not sure how these will get within 24" of an enemy unit without falling to mass fire

>>Striking Scorpions (x6) - Exarch, Scorpion Claw, Shadowstrike - 143
    If you outflank, they may work, but if you infiltrate, it gives your opponent a good first target. They're tough by eldar standards, but 6 will go down pretty quickly.

>>Howling Banshees (x10 ) - Exarch, Mirror Blades, Wave Serpent with Shuriken Cannons - 282
    Nice, really the only way i play banshees... but i'd drop a couple banshees in exchange for more scorpions

>>Dire Avengers (x8 ) - Exarch, Dire Sword, Wave Serpent with Shuriken Cannons - 218
    Dire sword has lost some utility given how many charaters have Eternal Warrior, or tyrannids in synapse. Also, you want to max the bang for the buck, so either drop the exarch all together and add more avengers, or just give the exarch baldestorm and dual shuricats

>>Guardians (x10 ) - Scatter Laser - 95
    >>Guardians (x10 ) - Scatter Laser
    Got the redundancy here, but they fall back very easily. This is worsened by the fact that they are usually on an objective near a table edge, and fall right off

>>Rangers (x5)
    Eh, the pathfinders upgrade is usually worth the points

>>Swooping Hawks (x6) - Exarch, Hawk's Talon - 148
    Coolest looking models imo, but they rarely deliver the goods, and cost an arm and a leg

>>War Walkers (x3) - Missile Launcher, 2x Shuriken Scannon, 3x Scatter Laser - 160
    You have three different ranges here i believe. Most folks have success with all scatter lasers. Some people swear by adding two star cannons into the mix

>>Dark Reapers (x3) - 105
    Solid unit, protect them like they were your children

It seems like half your army is a firebase (war walkers, reapers, guardians, rangers) and the other half is close fire/ assault (avengers, scorpions, banshees). Most armies will out-shoot or out-assault eldar, this is where psychic powers become big.

My recs (which you are more than free to disregard, no offense taken) are as follows:
    1. drop the hawks (-148 )
    2. drop the scorpions (-143)
    3. drop the three warlocks and upgrade your farseer to eldrad (+50 )
    4. add an avatar to keep near your two guardian squads and reapers, making them fearless (+155)
    5. max out your dire avengers to ten and give the exarch TL shuricats and bladestorm (+ ~35)
    6. Throw scatter lasers on those warwalkers
    7. Use any points left over for various goodies/ upgrades

With the above changes, your firebase (war-walkers/ reapers/ pathfinders) is now guided (eldrad has three powers, able to use the same one twice), and you can cast any other psychic power (usually fortune) as needed.

Your banshees can mop up any mess the dire avengers don't kill via bladestorm, but more importantly they can act as counter charge units. If your wave serpents survive, throw a guardian squad in one to claim an objective. Good Luck!
    Last edited by MunDMC; May 12th, 2009 at 00:31. Reason: 0 ) looks like a happy face

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

Thank you to both, just the kind of advice I've been looking for. Some rep for y'both, methinks.

I haven't played Eldar since 2nd Ed and guess I'm probably be most guided by what I want to paint. I'll spend some time working on a revised list now, I guess.

---------- Post added at 13:57 ---------- Previous post was at 13:46 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MunDMC View Post
    My recs (which you are more than free to disregard, no offense taken) are as follows:
    1. drop the hawks (-148 )
    2. drop the scorpions (-143)
    3. drop the three warlocks and upgrade your farseer to eldrad (+50 )
    4. add an avatar to keep near your two guardian squads and reapers, making them fearless (+155)
    5. max out your dire avengers to ten and give the exarch TL shuricats and bladestorm (+ ~35)
    6. Throw scatter lasers on those warwalkers
    7. Use any points left over for various goodies/ upgrades

With the above changes, your firebase (war-walkers/ reapers/ pathfinders) is now guided (eldrad has three powers, able to use the same one twice), and you can cast any other psychic power (usually fortune) as needed.

Your banshees can mop up any mess the dire avengers don't kill via bladestorm, but more importantly they can act as counter charge units. If your wave serpents survive, throw a guardian squad in one to claim an objective. Good Luck!

Actually, this one paragraph could well be the best advice I've been given or read since deciding to take up Eldar. I've printed it and stuck it in my notepad (I still like writing army lists with pen and paper!). Really appreciated. Now I have to work out where I can allow effectiveness to replace aesthetics.

Also, do you think my list would benefit from a unit of Jetbikes? Maybe replacing one of the Guardian squads?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm, i don't like jetbikes much, and the models arent too great, i think you should keep the guardians, (i can't believe i just said that) your DA's wave serpent could use some spirit stones, soit can always move cept when it's been immobilized, i owuld try and squeeze in a exarch with tempest launcher crack shot in your reaper squad, that thing makes a mess of marine squads, and i too would recommend eldrad for your firebase, he can use guide/guide/doom in one turn, that's pretty decent and if you give you war walker squad scatter lasers, that gonna be 24 shots, with re rolls, at S6 that's pretty nasty, defs get the pathfinders upgrade, 2+ cover makes a big difference as does the 5+ are ap 1's. seer councils, unless 5 and farsser in a falcon, or on bikes, aren't really worth it, and they die in droves without fortune, hawks are very fiddly, i don't see their use, i would see them as a disruption unit, but imo i wouldn't use them, give the shee's squad an executioner, much better then mirror swords, mst people would agree there, and give their waveserpent star cannons or something, our tanks are quite capable shooters if you invest 20 odd points on them, ok maybe a few more then 20. that's my humble opinions for the day (:

Tj
    Death to the Alien!
    who likes cockroaches anyway.
    Ordos Xenos 4/0/3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alvenom View Post
    Also, do you think my list would benefit from a unit of Jetbikes? Maybe replacing one of the Guardian squads?
    Very welcome! I empathize for you wanting to enjoy painting the myriads of units AND having a competitive list. These two can be mutually exclusive (looks at plague marines).

As far as jetbikes... i've just begun toying with them. They've expensive, and i find the vests and kkk hoods quite unappealing, but if you're up for a really fun conversion:
    1) buy 3 boxes of dark-elves on cold ones
    2) buy 1 box of guardians
    3) make some exodite counts-as jetbikes
    This will run you cheaper than $150 on jetbikes

I have yet to master them, but in seize ground they're really a game changer. Try to proxy them if you can, as they are a sizeable financial and time investment. Some people swear by them, but the ole dire-avenger-packed-wave-serpent tends to win out.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

I think the plan is to half-and-half Dark Eldar and Eldar Jetbikes and add some Guardian bits. I'm alright with green stuff so I should get something usable.

How many in a squad? And Shuriken Cannon or not?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

OK, revised list:

Farseer - Singing Spear, Doom - 83

Striking Scorpions (x6) - Exarch, Scorpion Claw, Shadowstrike - 143
    Howling Banshees (x8) Exarch, Executioner, Wave Serpent with Shuriken Cannon - 250

Dire Avengers (x8) - Exarch, Two Shuriken Catapults, Wave Serpent with Shuriken Cannon - 213
    Guardians (x10) - with Warlock with Singing Spear and Conceal, Scatter Laser - 138
    Rangers (x6) - 114
    Jetbikes (x5) - Shrieker Cannon - 120

Vypers (x2) - two Bright Lances - 150

Dark Reapers (x3) - 105
    War Walkers (x3) - six Scatter Lasers - 180

The Vypers have been added for some anti-armour capability and the Jetbikes make the army a bit more flexible in terms of movement. There wasn't points to upgrade the Rangers to Pathfinders.

Better?

+ Reply to Thread