2000 points VS Orks - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 points VS Orks

I've been playing the same guy for the last couple weeks, and tomorrow (or, rather, later today) we are playing a 2000 point game. Here's the plan:

HQ
    Nightbringer
    Lord
    - Res. Orb
    - VoD

Troops
    Warriors x 10
    Warriors x 10

Fast Attack
    Destroyers x 4
    Destroyers x 3
    Destroyers x 3

Heavy Support
    Tomb Spyder x 2
    Monolith
    Monolith

My intent is to start with one Monolith in play and the other in reserves, which I will deepstrike into the Ork midst.

In the meantime, Destroyers will be used to shoot down nobz, primarily.

The Warriors will hide behind the Monolith, in order to preserve my phase out number. If an opportunity presents itself, they will fire, but only if the risk is minimal.

Monoliths will do what they do best, while the Spyders will attempt to engage annoying units that get too close.

Nightbringer...well, he'll do his thing for as long as he can. He's a powerhouse, even against Orks, and I have no qualms whatsoever spending the points on him.

Tactics I've tried include Flayed Ones, who simply can't compete, and Wraiths, which are useful, but are never in a high enough number to be meaningful against the Ork horde.

It is very tempting to trade 3 Destroyers and the Spyders for another Monolith...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

Unless you are absolutely positive about playing annihilation you could run into some trouble with such a low number of troops. Even with hiding your warriors, orks may just be fast enough to charge and kill one or both of your squads off. (truks I believe give the orks an effective charge range of 15-20' if they waagh)

What sort of list is your opponent running? And how did your game go?

What do monoliths do best? There are several ways to use that unit...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The game went okay. As you said, he was able to trukk his way into my Warriors. That cost me the game.

Before the game even started, though, one of my Spyders broke. It was unfortunate, and he offered to let me just use the base, but I found that to be ugly so I replaced it with 3 more Warriors. I think I'd be better off - as you said - with a LOT more Warriors.

The Nightbringer was the all-star of this game. I'm still learning which Ork units are the threatening ones, so if I had sent him after the correct ones first I probably would've fared better.

I didn't use a single Particle Whip this game; I was too busy saving Warriors and Destroyers (all 9 stayed up for 3 full turns, it was amazing). The Flux Arc took out two trukks on two different occasions. That was a first for me; I rarely scratch vehicles with that thing.

My next plan is probably going to be something that 1) involves more Monoliths, 2) involves a lot more Warriors, and 3) uses the Nightbringer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

Really, to Necrons, all ork units are threatening. Granted I've never faced orks, i've looked at their codex enough to know that they're generally pretty brutal, even a small squad charging us can take down a unit.

I've heard wonderful things about the Nightbringer against Orks, and I can definitely see where it would help.

I dunno if you should be relying so much on power-play models like C'tan and Monolith, you need to work out your bread and butter before you start breaking out more lobster.

Monolith ain't a unit I use, however again, I've heard plenty of people use the portal FAR more than the particle whip, I wouldn't worry about that so much. And hey the flux arch IS a gauss weapon, sometimes ya get lucky!

So besides trucks what else was fielded? And what particularly screwed you up?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Specifically, he had a squad of 5 nobs with power claws. That sole unit is, essentially, what tore up my Warriors. Without that, my positioning was perfect, and none of his other units had any clear shots.

The downside to the whole game was that we ended up with 5 objectives. He's Orks, and he's got a billion dudes, and it's easy for him to hold down an objective.

Until I parked the Monolith on top of the objective. That works wonders.

While it's true that I rely on my big hitters - liths and the bringer - I don't have much choice otherwise. Warriors simply can't deal with the numbers Orks will throw at you, so you have to break out something bigger. I have 10 or less of both Flayed Ones (not good against Orks) and Immortals (good, but I don't have enough yet) so fielding those is silly. Wraiths are good enough, but the sheer number of Orks mean that they're likely to go down anyway.

And whoever decided that giving Orks the ability to get FNP needs to be beaten with a shovel. Ugh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

324 (x8)

Ugh did he truk FNP nobs with claws into you? That's rough.

I see your point but only to an extent.

For the NB you can field 20 more warriors, not only would this bring you up to the number of warriors you SHOULD be fielding at 2k, it would give you way more ability to shoot orks to death. Necron warriors are a unique unit among troops in 40k, they are the ONLY troops choice, that can, without any upgrades, kill any and every model in the entire game with their gun. Just get enough of them around and I think you'll see a drastic improvement. I ran 3x10 for the first time recently for 1.5k, and it made a noticeable difference in not only my phase out but also my ability to output damage with simple gauss flayers. I really feel that you're dropping way to many points into units that are there for support of your troops. I was reminded yesterday (Thanks Auedawen) that getting ONE unit in a position that it can be charged in, will very quickly end you the game, and it's often an oversight. Granted PClaw FNP nobs are particularly nasty for 'crons to deal with, what you need is more SHOTS to punch through their armor and FNP saves and actually create wounds, and the cheapest way to get more shots is with warriors. Just give it a try in your next game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tell you what: my next game, I will absolutely nothing except Warriors and Monoliths.

What's that...3 Monoliths and ~70 Warriors at 2k points? Maybe kick out a few Warriors and get a Lord with an Orb, but I'll give that a shot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

324 (x8)

Hahaha, well you don't have to use warriors and monos exclusively, ya just gotta have enough warriors to go around. In 5ed they gained importance being our only objective cappers, and of course the time-honored Phase Out rule. Also squads>10 against orks will generally just be asking to get more models swept at once when they hit your lines, and deprive you of fun and important things like Destroyers.(besides 70 warriors and 3 monos you can't fit in a Necron Lord, which well...is a problem.)

But yeah, just experiment around, if you have the models around it's GOOD to try stuff, lets ya figure out what works best for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The good news is that I have something like 6000 points of Necrons to play with. I'm sure I can find...something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

Orks are a hard match up for necrons (speaking as an ork player branching into necrons). It really is about target priority and weight of numbers if you want to beat orks (being sneaky helps too).

You could have placed your warriors in front of the liths to get some good long range shots in, then pull them back through the lith to escape (facing the lith backwards gives you a really nice road block). Lucky for you (and not the orks) most ork vehicles are open topped and weak armoured. Your gauss can actually destroy trukks so you should take advantage of that. Nobs are a problem for most people but they do eventually fail saves. Particle whips chew through nobs by ignoring fnp and all but inv saves.

Warriors were probably your best bet, Alzer has mentioned this already. If you have the option of double tapping a mob of orks or charging them, its probably better to charge and deny them the extra ground. As a warrior kills 1 ork for every 3 shots, make sure you will finish off the squad. If he wipes the warriors out (which if he charges is likely) you need to pull the casualties back through a portal if possible. A net of spyders and res orbs will save you big time by keeping your warriors on the table as long as possible. Unfortunately for you just killing ork troops won't win you the game. You may hold the objectives but every unit in an ork army can really hurt your crons and if he breaks you off an objective then you may be in trouble. Phase out will really hurt you. Watch out for nobs in boys squads too, its almost mandatory for them to have PKs, you will rearely see them without (i.e. your playing a noob!).

Hope that helps.
    W/D/L Ork Tide 22/1/14

Click here to feed me some squigs

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast