Welcome to Librarium Online!
For a while now i've been thinking/dreaming about starting myself an Ork army. But no ordinary Ork army, my army would be themed... as a Hardcore Death Metal Band!
So i have finally got round to checking out the Ork codex, and it turns out that the book is better for its intended purpose than id ever imagined! Suhweet!
The list came out near 800pts after including everything i could think of and had though of that would relate to my Band. If anyone has any way to fit in other units (DeffKopta, etc) into the list in a themed way, please let me know.
So, ill start with the Centrepiece of the army.
I needed a stage, so what better to use than a Battlewagon? The idea (looks great in my head, lol) would be to have a Drum kit near the rear, with the rest of the band being "arranged" on the roof (stage area) of the Wagon, with their weapons converted using card into Instrument shaped guns etc. The Warboss would be at the very front.
Te other units would be painted and modelled to be wearing the typical Leather with Metal studs type gear, and the GW Ork models are near perfect for this already Just a little converting to make them more awesome lol.
Anyway, let me introduce you to... *adopts death metal loud growling voice*
The Metal 'Eadz!
2 Big Choppa (Guitars)
1 Twin-Linked Shoota (Bass)
1 Waaagh! Banner (Drums)
2 Big Shootas
10 Ork Boyz
Sluggas and Choppas
Trukk w/ Armour Plates
10 Ork Boyz
1 Rokkit Launcha
Grot Riggers (roadies)
Stikkbomb Chukka (pyrotechnics)
4 Big Shootas
Note: The Warboss joins the Nobz and they ride in their (dedicated transport) Battlewagon.
What does youz Warbosses reckon to dat? Ork enough for ya? Metal enough for ya!?
Hopefully the list is technically correct. I think i got things right, but the Ork book is so much of a pain to use in pdf format that there may be a few errors lol. Also, im interested to hear how you think it would fare in a real game? Although I dont really care if it's crap, it's built to be fun and themed, not necessarily any good
Last edited by Phoenix; May 28th, 2009 at 02:02.
Great fluff, but the list could use work if you want to use it effectively. Any reason it has to be 800 points? Most people play 1000 or more.
Anyway, as a potential new player, have you checked out the thread in the 2008 Ork index called 'the basics'? If not, I'd definitely check it out. It's a great guide for new Ork players.
Overall, your list is sort of 'thin'. None of the units are really strong enough to stand on their own, besides the main band. Here's what I'd do:
1. Your units need bosspoles, especially the nobz! I'd never use regular nobz with a bosspole. Otherwise they only have a 58% chance at most of passing any panic check. With a bosspole, it increases to 84%, or around 92% if the warboss is with them. For virtually no cost at all, they statistically raise the leadership of your units by 2, which is something other armies usually have to pay 25-30 points for.
2. Your units need powerklaws! All of 'em, but especially the slugga boyz and nobz (they really need at least one). I'm not a fan of big choppas at all, although I know it works with the fluff.
3. Always fill the trukks to the maximum 12 allowed inside. Even that won't seem like enough it battle, so don't gyp yourself further. They also need a nob, powerklaw, bosspole, and a ram in order to be effective. Fill them both with slugga boyz as well. Shoota boyz only work well on foot, or in battlewagons.
4. Take the armor plates and rokkits off the trukks. Neither are worth it. The only upgrade I give to trukks are rams, and possibly SBC.
5. Instead of two units of 3 bikes, I'd only use one unit of 5-6, with a nob, powerklaw and bosspole. With a powerklaw and bosspole, they'll be fairly effective in close combat, and can hunt armor as well.
6. Yes, the battlewagon can be a dedicated transport, but don't put more than 1 gun on the battlewagon. With the new 5th edition rules, you'll only be able to fire more than one as long as you stand still, and as the transport for the nobz, you probably don't want to do that. Finally, it doesn't need a stikkbomb chukka. The nobz come with stikkbombs.
Well that's about it. In order to make these changes, you'll probably have to cut something out, and if anything can go it's the kommandos. Kommandos tend not to last long at all unless they're 9+ with 2 special guns and either a nob w/powerklaw and bosspole, or Snikkrot.
In any case, good luck!
Last edited by mynameisgrax; May 29th, 2009 at 20:52. Reason: forgot one thing
"Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
Thanks for the response
The reason it is 800pt is that after including everything i wanted to within the theme it came to 812. I killed 2 orks to round it down
Good advice Unfortunately i will probably never make this army. Though i would love to make the centrepiece
As i think i said in the opening post, im not so bothered abotu how it plays. Just so long as it looks awesome But i understand that if i wanted to win anything i would probably need to optimise my units as you suggest.