2000 Points vs. a Cheesy player - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

2000 Points vs. a Cheesy player

'ello ladz!

A friend of mine loves to make cheesy lists, and hates slugga boyz, so I decided to make a list to have some fun against him. My list is not cheesy (at least I hope it's not... hm)... but I wanted to make him mad that his cheese list is not the best around....

So here is my 2000 point list:

HQ:
    Mega-armored Warboss
    -Power Klaw
    -TL Shoota
    -Cybork Body

Big Mek
    -Shokk Attack Gun
    -'Eavy Armor
    -Cybork Body

Elite:
    Lootas x8
    -Big mek goes with this unit

Tankbustas x5
    -2 tankhammers

Troops:
    Nobz x10
    -5 Power Klaws
    -5 Big Choppas (only due to points restriction)
    -'Eavy Armor
    -TL Shootas
    -Bosspole
    -Waagh! Banner
    +Trukk
    -Ram
    (warboss goes here)

Boyz x30
    -Slugga/Choppa
    -Nob w/ PK, Bosspole, 'Eavy Armor

Boyz x30
    -Slugga/Choppa

Boyz x30
    -Shoota

'Ard Boyz x12
    -Choppa/Slugga
    +Trukk
    -Ram

Fast Attack:
    Warbikerz x5
    -Nob w/ PK, Bosspole

C+C Welcome. I don't own anymore than 30 shoota boyz, or I'd have more in the list. I've never played with 'Ard Boyz, so I'm tempted to try them. I LOVE the SAG Big Mek, so I don't want to swap him out with a KFF mek. I'm not sure how I feel about the Mega armored warboss though.

My other idea was the drop the mega armor, drop the 'ard boyz, and slap 3-4 mega-nobz in the second trukk. (i'd have to tweak the list a little for this to happen).

What do you think?

Eldar Project Log
    Saim-Hann Eldar: 5000 Points

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just wondering, what is your friends cheesy list? or if you not exactly sure what is in his list can you tell us the army? Lets people help make an army thats guaranteed to upset said friend, thanks in advance.
    We rode on the winds of the rising storm, we ran to the sounds of thunder. We danced among the lighting bolts, and tore the world asunder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

He'll be bringing 1 of 2 lists.

Daemon Hunters, or Tau.

He makes both of them very cheesey. My guess is Daemon Hunters (heavy guard, i believe)
    Eldar Project Log
    Saim-Hann Eldar: 5000 Points

AKM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x2)

Tankbustas are crap. Ditch them for more lootas or even RL in your boyz units.

There's no real point in giving nobz TL shootas: there's not enough of them to really hurt when shooting, and they'll squish anything they charge. 10 nobz and 5 PK is actually overkill: if you play, say 7 nobz with 2 PK, you're just freed enough pts to get another entire unit, and your nobz will be just as killy.
    Another trukkboy unit w/ 10 boyz so there's room for your pretty slow warboss could be agood idea, for example.

SAG mek will be useful vs. daemon hunters (which is probably the weakest codex around there, so no real risk of cheese anyway..)

Hope it helps!
    "Politics is the womb in which war develops"
    Clausewitz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm ok firstly your warboss dont bother with twinlinked shoota its not gunna do anything. I would also not to bother with eavy armoure on you're nobz in the sluggas squad it never scomes in handy. My view with tankbustas is that they die far to fast and need a transport to do at least something. I would replace them with a squad of 19 gretchlinand a runtherd. This is a cheep and usfull unit. Just sit them on a friendly objective and go to ground or use them to march in front of one of the sluggas squad giving them a cover save. Now with youre extra point taking of eavy armoure you can afford another pk in youre nob squad and you NEED a painboy in there its only 30 points extra and it gives the whole unit feel no pain.
    THats all i can say really. I also play deamon hunters so i can guess (if he likes playing cheesy lists) what he would include just does he use grey knites or more inquisitorial or both.
    Anyway if he plays grey knites i can promise he will have lots of them. Most probably he will have a land raider and a dreadnought with a lasacannon. This is really the grey knites only long range anti-tank.
    He will also probably have lots of deepstriking terminators. these can be quite deadly and he may have a squad of 4 psycannons or inciderates. Both of which will hurt. He will likly have lots incinerators in his grey knites force and every model is armed with a storm bolter (yay).
    Nothing more funny than 3 inquisitors with sanctify when facing deamons. They cant do anything while you stand in front of them having a tee break.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lootas x8

can I ask why the mek goes with the lootas? It'll still be targeted by ordinance, and in the event of a 1,1 the unit of lootas could be toast.

IMHO 10 nobz with 5 pks is overkill. yes, they'll kill anything, but so would 8 nobz with 3 PKs + the PK on the warboss, saving a whole 100 points, which is enough for 2 units of grots! (which will be much more useful as screens / objective takers)

Also, i hope you didn't pay 5 points for the 'eavy armor on the 'ard boy nob. its included in his price.

Maybe the 30 shootas should be accompanied by 3 big shootas, but i dont know if you intended on them chilling out during the shooting phase or using their guns b4 the charge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are playing against Tau, then you aren't going to see a lot of ord shots. Daemonhunters don't throw a lot of if either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will add my comments in red beneath each of the units or type below. Some of how you would build depends on what you are facing, and could affect my suggestions. If you are looking at a BT army with 5 LR then you may have a long day regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by wrekka View Post
    'ello ladz!

HQ:
    Mega-armored Warboss
    -Power Klaw
    -TL Shoota
    -Cybork Body
    I personally prefer my Warboss on a bike unless you are running Ghazghkull, and frankly if you are facing any kind of cheesy army your list should always start with Ghaz. I think you should always include an attack squig with your Warboss. I would lose the armor and twin linked shoota and add a bike and an attack squig.

Big Mek
    -Shokk Attack Gun
    -'Eavy Armor
    -Cybork Body
    When I take a Big Mek with an SAG I always recommend just taking him with nothing more than the SAG. You outrange most things and can stay in cover and take your shots. This can be a fun character but is not super effective but is good if you are going to run a shooty list. Teh big Mek with KFF is better if you are hoping to close quickly with your opponent or if the board is lacking in cover.

Elite:
    Lootas x8
    Lootas should be in two groups of 15 each and you drop the Tankbustas. I personally think the Tankbustas are the worst available Ork unit bar none. Lootas casue trouble and you can just pour fire into both infantry and light armor as the rest of the boyz advance. An interesting idea with these I saw recently was putting them in open topped battlewagons with a Big Mek KFF and park them, providing a very, very AV14, obscured, shooty bunker that can move if needed. Not sure exactly how good that is but I may try it myself soon.

Tankbustas x5
    -2 tankhammers

Troops:
    Nobz x10
    -5 Power Klaws
    -5 Big Choppas (only due to points restriction)
    -'Eavy Armor
    -TL Shootas
    -Bosspole
    -Waagh! Banner
    +Trukk
    -Ram
    (warboss goes here)
    This unit is setup wrong but if done right can be deadly. You can also do a Nob unit, even on bikes, without being a cheesy git yourself. I would drop the trucks and twinlinked shootas in your list and think about getting the Nobz a battlewagon. The set-up that I find to be pretty effective without being to abusive is to run 9 Nobz plus the Painboy with 3 PK, 3 Big Choppas, 3 Choppas and sluggas all around. I give 1 of the PK nobz a bosspole and another of the PK nobz the Waaagh Banner. You give the whole group cybork bodies and 'Eavy Armor with the save and invulnerable plus we'll be back from the Painboy these boyz will stick around for quite a while.

If I put the Warboss on a Bike I put these boyz on bikes too and then there is no need to take the 'Eavy armor. In either configuration this is an expensive unit but it can chew its way through a lot of armies if you are careful how you use it.

Boyz x30
    -Slugga/Choppa

Boyz x30
    -Slugga/Choppa

Boyz x30
    -Shoota

'Ard Boyz x12
    -Choppa/Slugga
    +Trukk
    -Ram
    In looking at your troops these are all pretty good although I would prefer two Shoota boyz and one slugga boy unit. I would also add 3 big shootas to each and I would drop the 'Ardboyz all together. The 'Ardboyz can be fun but in my opinion are not worth the points. I would not give the Nobz in these units anything more than the PK and bosspole.

Fast Attack:
    Warbikerz x5
    -Nob w/ PK, Bosspole

If you were running agroup of Nobz on bikes these would be useful as a fast support unit but I would see if I could find the points to make this a bigger unit. I personally like Buggies as my fast attack over bikers as they are cheaper and can be pretty distracting and useful for late moves to contest objectives. My favorite Fast Attack option are Stormboyz. A unit of 20 Stormboyz with a Nob with PK and Bosspole costs the same as a 9 Ork biker unit with Nob with PK and Bosspole. Being fearless is pretty good for Orks and the more attacks the merrier.

C+C Welcome. I don't own anymore than 30 shoota boyz, or I'd have more in the list. I've never played with 'Ard Boyz, so I'm tempted to try them. I LOVE the SAG Big Mek, so I don't want to swap him out with a KFF mek. I'm not sure how I feel about the Mega armored warboss though.

My other idea was the drop the mega armor, drop the 'ard boyz, and slap 3-4 mega-nobz in the second trukk. (i'd have to tweak the list a little for this to happen).

What do you think?
    I like your list for the most part and I think you can compete with it, but I think it could be improved if you are facing a harder list. I hope this has been at least a little bit helpful. Good luck in your game and let us know how it goes.

I myself will be facing Necrons tomorrow morning with my Orks, and also possibly my Orks against some Marines in a second game. Not sure of the points yet, we will decide tomorrow.

+ Reply to Thread