Tournament List Help! 1500 pts. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tournament List Help! 1500 pts.

Okay, so the Title pretty much explains the game plan here. There's a tournament going on in my area at the end of the month, and I want to actually BE competitive this time. The armies to beat are Mech-Eldar w/ Seer Council and Linebreaker/Termies in a LR lists. I thought this list would do well in general, hile still being able to give these lists a scare.

HQ
    Farseer-110 pts
    Runes of Warding
    Runes of Witnessing
    Fortune

Elites
    Fire Dragonsx7-262 pts
    Exarch
    Firepike
    Crack Shot
    Tank Hunters
    Wave Serpent
    Twin-Linked Shuriken Cannon
    Spirit Stones

Troops
    Guardian Jetbike Squadronx7-154 pts

Dire Avengersx9-250 pts
    Exarch
    Exarch Shuriken Catapults
    Bladestorm
    Wave Serpent
    Spirit Stones

Dire Avengersx9-250 pts
    Exarch
    Bladestorm
    Wave Serpent
    Spirit Stones

Fast Attack
    Swoping Hawksx9-221 pts
    Exarch
    Sunrifle
    Intercept

Heavy Support
    Fire Prism-125 pts
    Spirit Stones

Fire Prism-125 pts
    Spirit Stones

Total-1497 pts.

As always, comments/criticism is always appreciated. Especially since I'll be using this list competitively. Thanks in Advance!

Eldar W/D/L: 17/15/12
    Ordo Malleus W/D/L: 24/3/4
    Crimson Fists: In Progress

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    253 (x7)

Well those 2 army lists need alot of tank @$s busting. However, what are the other types of lists you will be competing against? You could make a list to combat these 2 armies, but what about the rest of them? For tournaments making a good balanced list, is always helpful. I prefer taking a almost balanced army with it leaning towards heavy support. ....just to be on the safe side right? Ok enough about that, on to the list.

HQ- I wouldnt both with the runes, and instead take spriit stones and doom/guide. Also are you going for a mech list? If so, where is the farseer going?

Elites- good, but in my opinion, i do not take exarchs for fire dragons because the normal warriors seem to always get the job done anyway. I just try to cut points to invest in other places.

Also if you can shave points somewhere, considering taking a CC unit. Maybe drop a DA squad from a wave serpeant (to hold objectives) and instead put your CC unit in it.

Troops-

I like. Consider pathfinders/rangers, not for the mech eldar or termies, but if you run across any other list.

Fast Attack- Good.

HS- Good, keep them out of range and they will surely cause havoc. I know you do not have the points, but holo fields/vectored engines always keep my falcon alive.

Good luck at your tourny, wish my area was having one soon!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, OK.

1. Fire Dragons are FAR to many points, 6 regular dragons for 96 points get the job done every time, don't bother with exarch and fancy upgrades.

2. WHY OH WHY have you got 9 Swooping Hawks??, drop these and take some banshees with exarch and mirror swords, if you can, find the points for a Doomseer.

3. Drop one of the Dire Avenger squads for Pathfinders to free up a Wave Serpent for the newly gained banshee squad. Pathfinders will sure up an objective at home base with a 2+ cover save.

4. Holo-fields are a must for Prisms, you can not always rely on that 60" range keeping them safe, they are too valuable to lose, if you can't find the points for fields, KEEP THEM SAFE!!

Good Luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay so Banshees seem to be a must then. Lets try this.

HQ
    Farseer-140 pts
    Spirit Stones
    Runes of Witnessing
    Doom
    Fortune

Elites
    Fire Dragonsx6-206 Pts

Wave Serpent
    Twin-linked Shuriken Cannon
    Spirit Stones

Howling Bansheesx6-233 pts
    Exarch
    Executioner
    Acrobatic

Wave Serpent
    Spirit Stones

Troops
    Guardian Jetbike Squadronx4-98 pts
    1 Shuriken Cannon

Dire Avenger Squadx9-250 pts
    Exarch
    Bladestorm

Wave Serpent
    Spirit Stones

Pathfindersx7-168 pts

Fast Attack
    Swooping Hawksx6-153 pts
    Exarch
    Hawk's Talon
    Intercept

Heavy Support
    Fire Prism-125 pts
    Spirit Stones

Fire Prism-125 pts
    Spirit Stones

Total=1498 pts.

How's that look?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    253 (x7)

This is what I would do if I were you:

Drop the ruins on the farseer

Consider taking more powerful weapons on the wave serpeants, they are twin linked.

Drop the SS from prisms.

Lower amount of pathfinders.

Get holofields.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x4)

and if you take a doomseer take the sunrifle on the swooping hawk exarch. . I find it more usefull due to high number of shots. With doom you can put wounds to save even on T5.
    Hight elf and Craftworld Eldar army project pics heavy: linky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay. I've wracked my brain and these are the general lists i'll be running against.

2 Mech-Eldar Lists(the Runes of Witnessing are to keep my Farseer safe when dealing with these lists. Both of them run Runes of Warding. One runs Dark Reapers so I'm kind of afraid to run the Pathfinders >.>)

Black Templars Linebreaker (3 Vindicators, LRC with Terminators inside)

CSM, Troop heavy.

Nidzilla

Orks, Troop heavy.

Chaos Daemons

Those are the big competitive lists. That may help you guys help me.

Since the upgrade to 5th, Holo-Fields have never been worth the 35 point cost. That's one of the only reasons I didn't include them the second time. The other is I couldn't find the points for them >.>

Pathfinders in groups of 5 don't do enough damage in this area to be worth bothering with in the first place.

The WS's are big enough threats as is. If I upgrade to Starcannons/BL/ EML then they'll be blown to bits as soon as possible. plus if i add a bigger gun then I'll be more tempted in the beginning to shoot them instead of getting my infantry where they need to go.

Would still like help though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK second list looks much better, you have taken advice well.

I would still urge you to re-think the swooping hawks, if you have a real personal liking to them then fine but if you want to be competitive, lose them. That Jetbike squad WILL NOT last long, I would recommend never using them at less than 6, possibly 7, maybe drop them all together, or drop the Hawks for more bikes.

And a further note, yes Holo-fields are never worth 35 points, however i would happily pay 35 points to see my opponents roll a 6 and a 1 on the damage chart, GUARANTEED to keep those prisms alive, and as its only the main AT threat (the dragons are a 1 shot gig IMO) they will need to be kept alive, they will be target priority numero uno.

The Farseer looks great, run him with the banshees, doom what they will charge and smile at the carnage, good Farseer set up.

Banshee Exarch should have mirrorswords, the extra attack is worth more when the unit they are charging is doomer by the Seer. And still a powerweapon.

Keep the Serpent weapons as they are, I only ever take Scatter's or Shurikens, multiple S6 shots are fantastic. On rare occasion I will take a BL if I need the extra AT. The Shuriken Cannons are good.

DA's are fine.

Dragons are much better now that you trimmed the fat, they will still blow anything to smitherines, 6 BS4 meltaguns = DEATH!

If you needs a few points for any of the changes, the pathfinders will work just as good in a unit of 6 as they do in 7, but more men is always better option, so only resort to this if the upgrades or weapons are worth it.

Like I said, I'm still not liking those Hawks, even more so now they are a smaller unit. Unless you really love the unit, consider swapping them out for something more useful, maybe more Jetbikes or Fields for the Prisms.

If you don's mind I will suggest this:

1. Drop the Hawks and the Jetbikes. (+251 points)
    2. Add in 6 Jetbikes, with 2 cannons (-152 points)
    3. Add a Doomseer, exclusively for the Banshees (-80 points)

This leaves 19 points, plus anything left at the start. Consider runes of Warding, if you come up against Pyschic powers, you will be surprised how well they stop them.

(Again) Good Luck!
    Last edited by SteVieBizzLe; June 11th, 2009 at 10:57.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

Think of this as me playing devils advocate, but I liked the first list more then the second. The second has a small melee unit added, a slow objective holding unit and a fragile bike unit. I don't like small melee units to many chances for bad rolling to bite me in the behind. The rangers can quite quickly be dropped by outflankers deepstrikers and anything that ignores cover, the cover save is great so this can be worked with but the biggest thing is your whole list is very mobile they are not.

My thoughts, based on the first list, would have been to drop the firedragon exarch get a couple of cannons and a warlock for the jetbike squad (6, 2cannons and a warlock with embolden and a spear is my favorite setup). I'm not a big fan of the hawks but you seem to like them. As a possible sub though you could almost get another firedragon squad in a transport for the same points. ( this seems a bit more reliable for tank hunting, and MC hunting) lastly and this goes for both lists what are you fortuning? Are you paying the points so you can get a rerolling cover save on a tank for 1 round as you run forward? Not saying its not worth it but it is something to think about.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

253 (x7)

I would still reconsider your decision on holofields, they have always saved my falcon. And like he said, when your oppoenent sees you have 2 prisms, or even 1 for that matter. It has got to go. no matter what.

I still disagree on your opinion of rangers, yeah deepstrikers and ignore cover save units are gonna be hunting them, but consider that snipers can not only take down high priority targets, but can also stop them dead in their tracks with pinning. Just try to keep them out of assault and range of most enemies. And if your opponent deep strikes something specifically to kill them, so be it. I try to place my rangers away from my main force so that when my opponent does this, their expensive deep striking squad will never make it back to the battle after taking down the rangers. But its your decision, just my opinion.

You will have some pretty tough opponents to play against. hopefully some of those lists are fielded by inexperienced players.

Good Luck!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast