1250 Double's Tournament - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

1250 Double's Tournament

I'm playing in a double's tournament this coming Sunday. It'll be my first tournament so I'd like to get your opinions on my lists. BTW, I don't know who'll be my partner, so hopefully I get someone who will complement my list.

Which list should I use? Comments and criticism welcomed.

List #1

HQ
    Flyrant - ES, 2x TL-D's, TS, WF, Wings - 196

ELITE
    Dakkafex - ES, 2x TL-D's - 113

TROOP
    9x Termagaunts - Fleshborer, WoN - 81
    9x Termagaunts - Fleshborer, WoN - 81
    8x Termagaunts - Fleshborer, WoN - 72

HEAVY
    2x Zoanthrope - Syn, Warp Blast - 130
    Carnifex - AG(I,WS), 2x ST's, Chitin, Exo, FH, Miasma, Scythe Tail, TS, Tusk - 173
    Carnifex - AG(I,WS), 2x ST's, Chitin, Exo, FH, Miasma, Scythe Tail, TS, Tusk - 173

Total - 1249

List #2

HQ
    Flyrant - AG(W), ES, 2x TL-D's, TS, WF, Wings - 200

ELITE

TROOP
    7x Termagaunts - Fleshborer, WoN - 63
    (or 10, 9, 9)

HEAVY
    3x Zoanthrope - Syn, 2x Psychic Scream, 1x Warp Blast - 175
    Carnifex - AG(I,WS), 2x ST's, Chitin, EC, Exo, FH, Miasma, Scythe Tail, TS, Tusk - 198
    Carnifex - AG(I,WS), 2x ST's, Chitin, EC, Exo, FH, Miasma, Scythe Tail, TS, Tusk - 198

Total - 1249

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well to really comment on the effectiveness of either list for this tournament we would need to know more about the way the tournament is set up. Do you team up with one person and play with them all day, or will you be switching opponents. If you're playing with the same partner all day, you can stack your army to do one task, while your partner stacks for another. That was how 2 friends of mine dominated a doubles tournament. They were playing guard and old speed freak orks. The guard had only guardsmen and basilisks for an intense gunline, and the orks were all buggies, trukks, and troops running forward. They killed all their opponents armies to the man.

Anyway, about your actual lists:

In general I like the second one better. It involves more troops, and I think nids always benefit from having more troops. That said, I'm not the biggest fan of WoN. I've tried it a couple times and found it to be not worth it. By the time my gaunts came back, there was no way they'd be able to reach any objectives, and I would've benefited more from just having more models on the board at once.

I would also recommend another, sturdier source of synapse in your army, like a squad of warriors or another tyrant. Zoanthropes are tough, but since they can be singled out, they're not the greatest source of synapse. You could swap out one of your dakkafexes for a squad of warriors with devourers and they could accomplish the same role as the dakkafex in addition to providing synapse.

Also, your melee fexes are a little too heavy on the upgrades. I love melee fexes, and use them whenever I can, but you want to keep them relatively cheap, especially if you're only using 1250 pts. Remember, quantity is always better than quality when it comes to nids. I would drop the AG I, EC, FH, scythe tail, and TS. Having Initiative 2 is only useful in rare situations, and while hilarious when it works, doesn't come into play often enough. With 5 wounds and T 7, a 3+ save should do just fine. Since they changed the way frag grenades work, FH don't really help out the fex much if at all. But then again, it's 1 pt, so that's not very important. Finally, S9 is enough to destroy everything. The only time having S10 will be useful to you is if you're fighting a monolith, otherwise, S9 is just as good.

Finally, I would personally drop the warp blast on the zoanthropes. I've tried using it so many times, but it's almost never worth it. There was that one time I one shot a monolith with a thrope, that was awesome. However, given that you have to pass the psychic test then roll on their crappy BS to get it off, I'm not a fan for using it against vehicles, and nids have many better troop killing tools at their disposal. I've really come to enjoy running 3 zoanthropes with nothing but psychic scream, and having a -3 LD bubble around the center of my army. This is especially useful when you're beating things in combat. They'll run away, you'll catch them, they die, and you're happy.

Any points you may free up, I would recommend getting more gaunts.

Tyranid Warrior Fanatic Phalanx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x7)

Both lists are illegal. You can only have elite fexes in 1500pts or higher and gaunts are in units of 8+ so the 4x7 termagants can't be used. Also, you want flesh hooks on your flyrants.
    40K armies: Tyranids (2001), Space Wolves (2008), Sisters of Battle (2011)
    Current Rep: 1337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good call phalanx, I wasn't even paying attention to that.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Oops! I guess it's back to the drawing board....

+ Reply to Thread