Librarium Online Forums banner

1250 Tau All-around List

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Angron88 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

I just started a Tau army (mostly because of their cool looks :)) and have put together a list for your critique!

This list is meant to be well-rounded for various types of opponents: SM, CSM, IG, Tau, Necron

I will mainly be playing against CSM and SM and both players like to field a good amount of tanks. I played a game last night with a hastily created list against a footslogging SM army and lost, but not without taking a lot of his forces down with me. I've created this list to hopefully be versatile for any army that I may face.

My plan is to have the Hammerheads moving and shooting the whole time, with the Devilfish bringing troops to needed points on the battlefield. I figured I'd add in Markerlights for the FW teams to help with my Hammerhead accuracy, but if they are just a waste of points then I can scrap that and use points elsewhere. I want my Crisis Commander to focus on tough units and maybe some light vehicles and my other Crisis suits able to knock off tough units as well (Termies come to mind...). He will link up and join the Crisis squad most likely. Stealthsuit team will infiltrate and pick off squads as needed.

Here's my list:

HQ-
Shas'el Commander [Fusion Blaster, Plasma Rifle, Targeting Array, Hard-Wired Multi-Tracker]
97pts

Elite-
Crisis Team
Crisis Suit 1 [TL Plasma Rifles, Missile Pod, Multi-Tracker]
Crisis Suit 2 [TL Plasma Rifles, Missile Pod, Multi-Tracker]
Crisis Suit 3 [TL Plasma Rifles, Missile Pod, Multi-Tracker]
216pts

Stealth Team
6 Stealthsuits
180pts

Troops-
Fire Warrior Team
12 FW
Devilfish [Burst Cannons, Multi-Tracker, Disruption Pod]
215pts

Fire Warrior Team
12 FW
Devilfish [Burst Cannons, Multi-Tracker, Disruption Pod]
215pts

Heavy Support-
Hammerhead [Railgun, Burst Cannons, Multi-Tracker, Disruption Pod]
165pts

165pts

Total- 1253pts

Thoughts?

EDITED for Hammerhead point error

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
You'll hear this often.

Unless your gonna use some special piece of Wargear than use Shas'els

Your HQ is 112 points. If he were a Shas El he could do all the same things for 97.

Shas'el (FB, PR, TA, HWMT) - 97pts.

Hammerheads come with TAs standard (Hence the BS 4 in the Codex) an cannot take another.

#3 · (Edited)
Yeah, not sure why I added in the Targeting Array for the Hammerheads. I edited the list to reflect this.

I also edited to reflect the change in commander, so now I have 37 points leftover. I guess for now I can add 2 FW to each squad to make 12, and be 3 points over.

Any thoughts on how to use the leftover 37 points?

#4 ·
If you are playing tank heavy SM and CSM I suggest taking another option for tank killing. There are a couple options for this.
1. Hammerheads- These can take out tanks but are probably not the best option considering that they only have one shot, thus they are usually used for infantry killing with the sub shot.
2. Broadsides- With the twin linked you have a much better chance of killing tanks. The only down turn is that is slows your army down. Advanced stabalizition system can make up a little for this. But with you would have to make your army list more hybrid to deal with that.
3. Crisis w/ TL FB and other- If used correctly you can take out some tanks with these. Either deepstrike them or just jsj your way to a tank
4. Crisis w/ TL MP and other- these are great for taking out light vehicles and transports.

With the extra points you have and maybe drop a couple more fire warriors from each of those teams I think you can add a small crisis team in. That would be my only suggestion other wise good looking list. Hope that helps. Let us know how it fairs against the marines:dance:

#5 ·
Crisis Team
Crisis Suit 1 [TL Plasma Rifles, Missile Pod, Multi-Tracker]
Crisis Suit 2 [TL Plasma Rifles, Missile Pod, Multi-Tracker]
Crisis Suit 3 [TL Plasma Rifles, Missile Pod, Multi-Tracker]
216pts
This unit is illegal. You have taken up 4 hardpoints on each suit. TL weapons take up 2 hard points. That being said, Fireknives aren't the best combo anymore for regular Crisis suits.

#6 · (Edited)
How is this illegal? I've read the codex and it only states that Crisis Suits must select 3 battlesuit weapons systems or support systems. I understand this to mean that you have to select 3 and you can add more if you wish.

It also only says that you cannot take 3 of the same weapons system. I understand all of this to mean that you could take a TL weapon plus another weapon, and use Targeting Array to be able to fire both weapons. Some clarification on this would be nice since we've been playing that way...

I have also changed the list up a bit, since I've been losing frequently. I AM new to Tau so I have to get the hang of things so I'm going to change it up and see how my new list fares...

Here is the updated list:

HQ-
Shas'el Commander [Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod (or Fusion Blaster), Targeting Array, Hard-Wired Multi-Tracker]
97pts

Elite-
Crisis Team 1-
Crisis Suit 1 [TL Fusion Blaster, Targeting Array]
Crisis Suit 2 [TL Fusion Blaster, Targeting Array]
106pts

Crisis Team 2-
Crisis Suit 1 [TL Missile Pod, Targeting Array]
Crisis Suit 2 [TL Missile Pod, Targeting Array]
106pts

Stealth Team-
4 Stealthsuits
120pts

Troops-
Fire Warrior Team 1-
6 FW
1 Devilfish [Burst Cannon, Gun Drones, Disruption Pod]
145pts

Fire Warrior Team 2-
6 FW
145pts

Fire Warrior Team 3-
6 FW
145pts

Heavy Support-
165pts

Broadside Team-
Broadside 1 [ASS, HW Target Lock, Drone Controller, 1 Shield Drone]
Broadside 2 [ASS, HW Target Lock, Drone Controller, 1 Shield Drone]
200pts

Total- 1229pts

#7 · (Edited)
sorry s1lent but hes right. It says you must take 3. it does not say you must take 3 but can take more. You have to take a mixture of weapon and support but can only take a total of 3. Any model with access to wargear can then take additional items, but only from the wargear column on p25. On every forum ive read it says its three max. i think the idea is that a battlesuit has three hardpoints to mount equipment on. The wargear is then additional stuff for commanders etc and as stated in the book are more like pieces of jewelry or cybernetics.

Have a look at Rikimaru's post on battlesuits on the main tau forum (XV8 an in depth guide). It helped me alot!

What i would suggest with the crisis suits is changing the TL plasma rifle ones to TL missile pods. Great weapons for taking out transports and other light vehicles such as landspeeders and only 106pts for 2 with a target array. It will mean you pretty much always hit with 4 shots a turn from up to 42" range with JSJ. Personally i never leave home without at least 2 of em!

#8 ·
Thanks furstenburg for the clarification. I edited my list to reflect the change to Missile Pods on the Crisis Suits instead of the Plasma Rifles.

I figure that with my current list I have 1 Crisis Team to deepstrike and take care of heavy vehicles, my other Crisis Team to deal with light vehicles/heavy infantry if needed, and my Commander can take care care of heavy infantry or even light vehicles.

My 3 FW squads with transports can be used to combat light infantry/take and hold points (seems like my friends and I play a lot of this type...) and my Hammerhead can combat light infantry too or even heavier vehicles if I need an extra shot. The Broadsides will take care of heavy vehicles from a distance and still be able to move around, while my Stealth Suits provide annoyance to my enemy. I would most likely infiltrate them near squads that need distracting (powerful weapons or HQ squads) or use them to support the Broadsides if it looks like they might get rushed.

I think I'll take my Commander with PR and FB so that he can go after heavy infantry and lend a hand to vehicles if they dare get close. I think all my bases are covered with this list, but maybe I'm missing something. I see my list as a Hybrid list more than anything and I'll definitely have to work at using it effectively!

#11 ·
Not to nitpick after everything you went through-but if you play tank-heavy armies, chances are that they are packing some anti-tank tanks as well. (predators?) At 1250 only one hammerhead could do, but there is a good probability you'd need a second to get best results. Still-your choice.

I like the crisis teams, TL mp's are IMHO the best option for most situations. Be ready for your fusion blasters to get taken down at any time. (with or without dropping a tank) Good luck:dance:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.