2500 'Ard Boys (the tourny) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member MorbidlyObeseMonkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

2500 'Ard Boys (the tourny)

Okay, so they just announced the 'Ard Boys tournament. I'm not too keen on the 2500 points limit; I much prefer smaller games. Anyway, I decided to enter with my Orks, and here's the list I have come up with.

HQ

Warboss w/ Bike, Power Klaw, Cybork Body, Kombi-Skorcha: 140 pts.

Warboss w/ Bike, Power Klaw, Cybork Body, Kombi-Skorcha: 140 pts.

Elites

9 Lootas: 135 pts.

9 Lootas: 135 pts.

Troops

5 Nob Bikers w/ Painboy, Cybork Bodies, 2 Power Klaws, 1 Kombi-Skorcha, Waaagh Banner, Bosspole: 355 pts.

5 Nob Bikers w/ Painboy, Cybork Bodies, 2 Power Klaws, 1 Kombi-Skorcha, Waaagh Banner, Bosspole: 355 pts.

20 Shoota Boys; Nob w/ Power Klaw, Bosspole: 160 pts.

10 Grots w/ Runtherd: 40 pts.

Fast Attack

3 Buggies w/ Rokkits: 105 pts.

Heavy Support

Battlewagon w/ Deffrolla, Armour Plates, Big Shoota, Red Paint Job, Grot Riggers: 135 pts.

Battlewagon w/ Deffrolla, Armour Plates, Big Shoota, Red Paint Job, Grot Riggers: 135 pts.

Total: 2500 Points

The plan should be pretty obvious. Tell me what you think!

Last edited by MorbidlyObeseMonkey; June 18th, 2009 at 07:39.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

The Nob Bikes will cause you problems. Only 6 per unit means Ld is going to be an issue. It's going to suck when somebody brings a PBS and runs your 600 point unit off the board. Take them full 10 Orks or don't bother really.

Shootas in the BW look solid, as do the Buggies.

I think you have too few Lootas, 9 are easy to panic off the board too.

Drop the Nob Bikers altogether for Nobs or Meganobs in a BW of their own, a KFF Mek (AV14 with 4+ cover? Hellz yes!), and more Lootas and Grots.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x1)

Thanks for replying. I guess I should have explained my choices.

KFF Meks are nice, but I'm not taking one. The Nob Bikers will ride in front of the Battlewagons if there isn't enough cover. As for not taking the Nob Bikers, you're probably right. However, I don't actually own any Nobs or Meganobs, so my options aren't too open.

As for morale checks on the Nob Bikers, re-rolling LD 9 isn't good enough? Since they're all equipped differently, they can all take a wound before any of them actually die. If a Psyker Battle Squad comes my way, I'm screwed. Then again, who isn't? To be honest, I'm really scared of the new IG.

Lootas are used to kill rhinos and other light transports. 9 Lootas usually kill a rhino when they shoot at one. With 9 Lootas, 3 of them need to die in order for a morale check to be caused. I could spend 60 points more to increase their number to 13, in which case 4 would die before a morale check is caused. I don't think that's worth it, considering they are rarely shot at anyways.

The grots will just stay in reserve and try to claim my home objective when they come onto the table. Their numbers could increase, but I don't have the points.
    Last edited by MorbidlyObeseMonkey; June 18th, 2009 at 20:43.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

The Nob Bikers won't be giving your BW cover unless they're very tall or it's very short.

IG have a lot of nasty tricks, but are far from unbeatable. A PBS squad can use Weaken Resolve to bring those Bikes and Lootas down to Ld2, guaranteeing that they run. Which is why bigger squads are better, because you can be Ld2 and Fearless and it won't matter.

13-15 Lootas is overkill, but they will stick around longer. Kill 3 out of 9 Lootas, you're testing on Ld7, so that's basically a 50% chance of losing them. Lose 4 out of 13 and you've got Ld9, Ld10 if you ran 14, or Fearless if you ran 15. These guys are your main answer to mech, so you need them around to do their job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by ==Me== View Post
    The Nob Bikers won't be giving your BW cover unless they're very tall or it's very short.
    Yes, my Nob Bikers are tall and my BWs are short. I built them with this very situation in mind, and they definetely will give cover.

IG have a lot of nasty tricks, but are far from unbeatable. A PBS squad can use Weaken Resolve to bring those Bikes and Lootas down to Ld2, guaranteeing that they run. Which is why bigger squads are better, because you can be Ld2 and Fearless and it won't matter.
    Yeah. As I said, I'm worried about them. There is no way I can make my Nob Bikers immune to them, but I don't think it would be smart to radically change my list because of one unit that I probably won't face.

13-15 Lootas is overkill, but they will stick around longer. Kill 3 out of 9 Lootas, you're testing on Ld7, so that's basically a 50% chance of losing them. Lose 4 out of 13 and you've got Ld9, Ld10 if you ran 14, or Fearless if you ran 15. These guys are your main answer to mech, so you need them around to do their job.
    You are of course correct. However, in a tourny like this, I'm trying to squeeze the most humanly possible out of every point. Paying 60-90 points for better staying power isn't worth it in this situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

431 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by MorbidlyObeseMonkey View Post
    Yes, my Nob Bikers are tall and my BWs are short. I built them with this very situation in mind, and they definetely will give cover.
    Wow. Modelling for advantage. That's so cool man

Yeah. As I said, I'm worried about them. There is no way I can make my Nob Bikers immune to them, but I don't think it would be smart to radically change my list because of one unit that I probably won't face.
    It's not just 1 unit, other armies can and will take advantage of the Ld issue. Tank shock enough times and you will fail a roll and 600 points goes down the drain. With uber units like Nob Bikers, bigger really is better because you're basically riding your entire army on their backs.

You are of course correct. However, in a tourny like this, I'm trying to squeeze the most humanly possible out of every point. Paying 60-90 points for better staying power isn't worth it in this situation.
    It's better to have Lootas than have them run off the board.

Senior Member Royal_Marine_Machine's Avatar
    The Room Next To Wolf Lord Herby/Nottingham
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Wow. Modelling for advantage. That's so cool man
    I'm trying to model Grots giving each other piggy backs to cover my looted wagon so I can't comment on this.

The First thing that strikes me is the small amounts of Boyz - remember - Boyz before Toyz! I mean you only have 60, and this isn't that many for a 2,500 points game. Especially as your Nob Bikers look like a complete waste of points, 10 bikers in two separate squads will be shot - and will run away. I Would trade them in for Ordinary bikers or Boyz in trukkz. Even in a Mechanized force you still just have to swamp them in Boyz, not only for the physical; but the psychological advantage, get your enemy to think "Erm crap - what do I shoot at?" which would make him divide his fire to try and do as much damage, which means more squads reach the enemy and start bashing heads In close combat - most people fear Orks in CC, so you can pen them up and slaughter them on your terms - with you charging.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x2)

IM afraid more boys is not always the solution. Some tactical players prefure to use more elite units then boys. Exemple is me, in 1500 i only field 30 ard boys and that it. you can look at my list rich boys are back and they do real well as oppents tend to shoot other and leave boys uunscaved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but...your orks...doesn't that mean that more boyz=tactics.

Morbidly screw the orks...GO PLAY TAU!!!
    Omak, WA Gaming club at the Bistro Cheval Rouge on Main Street.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x1)

Yeah Tau aren't that bad, but this is 'Ard Boys. There'll be dual lashes, nidzillas, and maybe some uber-IG (?), I'm predicting a fair amount of Chaos Daemons too. When I'm really trying to win, Tau just don't cut it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast