750 pt Necrons vs Guardsmen - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

750 pt Necrons vs Guardsmen

I've been away for a while and this will be my first 5th edition game. Me and my buddy have decided to play a 750 point ambush scenario, my necrons versus his IGs.
    It'll be his Guardsmen in a armor column (probably mostly infantry in chimeras) rolling through a town, me popping up in or near cover, taking them out.
    I've never played against Guardsmen before, but this is my buddy's first game with this army

Lord with Res Orb
    2x10 Warriors
    9 Immortals

752 points
    30 Necrons
    Phase out: 7

My Thoughts:
    I'm worried about how few units there are, maybe loose the immortals for more warriors or something else? I took them to crack the Chimeras (and anything tougher he might have, like hellhounds, pretty sure no Leman Russ though)

Do I need the Res. Orb? It will be most if not all shooting and I don't think he's taking many things with strength 8+ weapons, or are they more common for IGs than I think? Those points could be more units, or I was thinking about taking a Nightmare Shroud to mess with the low LD guards (are they even low LD? It just seems like it in the fluff a lot of the time)

Thanks in advance for any advice

Last edited by Adalias; June 21st, 2009 at 18:26.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

Ah, welcome to 5ed then Adalias.

Against those meduim-weight guard vehicles I think having a couple destroyers around would be great. Immortals can do th deed as well, however destroyers are far more capable of flanking to get side-armor shots. After the destroyers, scarabs would be a great unit, their piles of wounds and attacks can actually be rather dangerous to Impguard.

As for the Res orb, guard can take a goodly pile of missile launchers, lascannons etc. even in their basic squads, and if it's not that, it'll be meltaguns, keep the res orb around, though I can definitely agree with the nightmare shroud idea. if you get two games in give both a try.

The general "keep your phalanx together" rules apply when you run the res orb, and really once you get into firing range with your Necrons, just stay there, you have the upper hand by a long shot, even if they have a couple missile launchers. (don't get in 12" if he has plasma/meltaguns though).

Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right, that's how I'd run a normal game, but we've decided on an ambush scenario, so he'll be driving through the center of a ruined town, and I deploy anywhere on the table as long as its at least 12 inches from the attacker, and only place markers, including some dummies. The rules are in the core book, but basically it all comes down to I'll have surprise and flanking shots from lots of cover, and the IGs are trapped out in the open.

In this very specialized scenario is it worth doing the phalanx anyways? Or deploy to surround them, which minimizes the use of the Orb.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

I guess it depends on just how much you expect him to pack, you mentioned he would be mounted up in chimeras for the most part which meants few points for other thing. Large template weapons like a battle cannon are the only things I'd warrant the use of a res orb, weapons from the infantry squads are hardly going to get a hit off anyways. But you should only expect about 1-2 leman russes since its a small game.

Your gauss weaponry aren't all that impressive against armour anymore so some heavy destroyers or even a monolith would be pretty useful.
    Warhammer 40k: Blood Angels, Imperial Guard, Grey Knights, Space Lizards (wolves), Kroot, Witch Hunters, Dark Eldar
    Warhammer: Lizardmen, Empire, Vampire Counts, Brettonians, High Elves, Skaven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok I've had an update on his army list (we always give each other hints, very friendly games) and he is taking no tanks other than chimeras (4 of them I think, as he asked about proxying tanks, and I know he's got 3) and Commisar Yarrik

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tomb spiders with 20 (or more watever your style) warriors and destroyers would do well, in my opinion. destroyers can go threw almost everything, or maybe heavy destroyers would do well too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok I've had some time to think about it and I've made some changes, I wasn't happy with the inflexibility of the other way

Lord
    Warscythe
    Resurrection Orb (Or should it be Nightmare shroud since he has no gun anyways and a chronometron for Sweeps?)

10 Warriors
    10 Warriors

6 Flayed Ones (Lord goes here)

2 Heavy Destroyers

748 points
    29 Necrons
    Phase out at 7

With the edition of the special character and discussion of the story behind the mission, the win conditions of the scenario have been changed from the majority of the IGs escaping to just Yarrik.

Tactics
    H Dests crack open the chimeras, Flayed ones and Lord go for Yarrik, Warriors stay in cover (together or seperate?) and shoot anyone and everyone they can.
    Last edited by Adalias; June 22nd, 2009 at 02:01.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

Keep the res orb, it'll be better in the long run for you.
    Keep the destroyers hitting chimera as well. Until their vehicles are dead don't stop hitting them.

I think it's a fine list, good luck with your game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thats looks like a good list to play good luck...

and you can shoot with the warscythe.. it counts as a gun too (i believe you just use your lord's BS and S since they give you no weapon stats)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Necrons View Post
    and you can shoot with the warscythe.. it counts as a gun too (i believe you just use your lord's BS and S since they give you no weapon stats)
    As much as my hopes soared when you said this, you are also dead wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Official Games Workshop Necron FAQ
    Necron Lord (p. 16)
    Q. Do Necron Lords that upgrade their staff of
    light to a warscythe lose the shooting attack
    from the staff?
    A. Yes they do.
    But besides this, thanks for the help for the list, the game will be pretty soon, and I'll post how well it worked here.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast