1500 balanced competitive - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 balanced competitive

hey guys,

new to necrons, looking for C&C on this list. as title says its designed to be good at everything, predominately shooty with cc counter-attack or spearhead. My playing style is quite aggressive as well (so i will generally spear down a flank!)

anyhow, here goes

1 Lord - 185
    Chronometron
    Phase shifter
    Destroyer bod

10 Flayed one - 180

8 Immortals - 224

12 Warriors - 216
    12 Warriors - 216

3 Wraith - 123

3 Destroyers - 150

6 Scarabs - 72

1 Heavy Destroyer - 65
    1 Heavy Destroyer - 65
    - These 2 stay within 6' to benefit from WBB

Total 1496
    models 57
    Phase out 13 (needs to kill 3

Basic set up: Warriors just to one side of center depending on terrain, Immortals just other side of center, on warriors other flank go destroyers, wraith & scarabs (all behind terrain. HD go where best LoS for sniping behind terrain. Flayed one Outflank, DS I, where needed (generally on spear flank).

C&C wanted, if you want me to add stuff, can you recommend what to drop for it please!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

Welcome to The Tomb DOaFG

If you want to play aggressively with Necrons, you're going to want more wraiths, or more destroyers, Necron hitting power comes from fast attack more than anything. I'd drop one or the other, not take both (potentially drop the scarabs?)

Necrons can have variety in their lists, however there is a limit to the variety we can take. Also if you play objectives games get a third block of warriors. Really just games in general 30 warriors are a good call, lots of phase out, and when you get in range they can rip up anything pretty quick.

Split the flayed ones into two squads, and infiltrate them, they're great assassination units against light infantry and heavy weapons squads. Wraiths tend to fill the same roll, however two squads and a Wraithlord (Necron Destroyer Lord w/ phase shifter and res orb) are something to be feared.

Decide what you really want to be doing, if you want fast assault, you're going to have to focus on it. Most often fast assault is combined with the basic phalanx. (really it's a process of phalanx + something else) so think about that.

For the lord, chronometron isn't really a great piece of wargear, their low initiative often keeps Necrons swept before anything else can happen. You're better off with a res-orb and destroyer than phase shifter and chrono and destroyer.

so I'd go something like..

HQ: Lord (Destroyer, Res Orb, phase shifter, warscythe)

Elt: Immortals x8

Elt: Flayed ones x8

Trp: 3x10 warriors

FA: Wraiths 2x3

HS: 2x1 Heavy Destroyers

Total: 1494
    PO: 15

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the response alzer,

Thanks for the suggested list, really made me ponder! (don't view the rest of this an attack, i'm just justifying my reasoning, feel free to shoot it down if need be!!)

One thing i am really struggling with cron's is what to use for my fast attack (3 is just not enough!), i would really like both more wraith & Destroyers (seen them be devastating), while i really like scarabs as throw away, assault units.

I agree about focusing on one element, but am finding it rather hard (once again only 3 FA!), I'm hoping that combining the flayed ones, wraith & Scarabs, should do it for choppyness. with the destroyers for support. Thats the basic plan anyways.

The Destroyers are to be used in conjunction with the wraith & scarabs, my hope is that the Scarabs charge a support unit, hold them up, while the wraith & lord go for the main target the that has been softened up by destroyer fire, basically the destroyers are subbing for the support wraith unit you recommend but with the added bonus of 36"guns! The down side to this is that WBB is nullified when either unit is whiped

I also think your underestimating the true power of the chronometron, when the lord is accompanied by wraith, the majority I of the unit is 6, when they win in combat, I6 + 2D6 (pick the hightest) should run down most units. The lord also has gaze of flame (forgot to put in first post), to help make this happen! I'm also one of those people that don't like res orbs (see me roll 4+'s & you'll understand).

As for troops, would like 30 odd, I'm sorta going with what i like though (will be the first thing i add!) I'm also hoping Flayed ones or scarabs become troops in the next codex!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

Fair enough, and I MUST agree wholeheartedly that the FA limitations are crippling, and it makes me very sad.

Decent point with the chronometron as well, however it isn't for the initiative test, it is for the fall back/overrun movement, otherwise I'd take them all over the place to keep my squads from being swept. Res orbs, despite not always being as great as you want, will have a positive effect far more often than most other items, hence their popularity. Also getting saves from battle cannons, power fists and orbital bombardments with your basic troops is really hilarious some days.

For the Destroyers, I feel you're better of keeping them back, they have the longest range of any Necron gun, use that to your advantage, the less enemies able to attack them (and at that range only heavy weapons can return fire) the longer they will survive. I used to move them up close, and then one day realized that there is really not any reason to do so, if they can't hit something, just move laterally until they can.

Fair enough about waiting to get new models, I know how that goes all too well (I'm gonna slap the next person who tells me to get a monolith!)

I can never, and would never want to force you to use a certain list, I'll only tell you what I think (or know) is more effective. I don't support cookie cutter lists at all (unfortunately Necrons are less loaded with options than other armies so ours tend to look more similar) play what you want. I'll never even know you didn't listen if you don't tell me. :p

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick reply! Rep!

with the chrono, i'm pretty sure i'm reading the FaQ right, it say to roll 2 dice & use the highest when determining whether the Lord and an attached unit can successfully break off from a lost close combat or catch a defeated enemy unit attempting to break off.
    to me this mean the roll where you add your inititive (which is now 6, thanks to the wraith!), for such a cheap item, this is awesome!

I also concur with the destroyers, i run them up the flank with the wraith, trying to keep them out of range/los of the enemy, however they can also provide some support in cc for the wraith, particularly agaist str3 or less foes, orks (with wraith support) & Guard (solo) are actually reasonably good targets. if done well, this can prevent the enemy shooting at all (as your in cc, like i said, aggressive!)

With res orb, as i have my lord away from the warriors, it doesn't really come into that play much (except against power weapons, relying on invuls!)

I Sincerely Want a Parrot counterwavecounter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x1)

I hear where your coming from with the Chronometron, but you'll find that your Wraiths are rarely going to fail their Leadership in CC since it's 10 and they generally don't lose by many wounds thanks to their 3+ invulnerable and if they do lose combat by enough to significantly impact their leadership (i.e 4 or more) it's not going to matter because they're all going to be phasing out anyway.

Furthermore, I6 is significantly greater than most units that Wraiths engage (i.e Troops, they do not make effective dedicated assault-unit hunters) meaning the extra D6 won't be necessary, but 10 points is only 10 points. However, the Destroyer Lord Alzer recommends above is by far the most optimal configuration if you're running him with Wraiths and it uses 100 points of wargear, so, no room for the Chronometron.
    Last edited by counterwavecounter; June 24th, 2009 at 07:38.
    "The man in the bowler hat is Mr. Average in his anonymity. I, too, wear one; I have no great desire to stand out from the masses." - Rene Magritte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

324 (x8)

Oh, well excellent, I just double checked the FAQ etc. myself, and it IS the initiative check, good call. I might actually throw those in occasionally now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about this

Made a couple of changes: still fast, aggressive, but a little more focused.

1 Lord - 185
    Chronometron
    Gaze of flame
    Phase shifter
    Destroyer body

6 Immortals - 168
    6 Immortals - 168

10 Warriors - 180
    10 Warriors - 180
    10 Warriors - 180

3 Wraith - 123
    3 Wraith - 123

5 Scarabs - 60

1 Heavy Destroyer - 65
    1 Heavy Destroyer - 65
    - These 2 stay within 6' to benefit from WBB

Total 1497
    models 56 (51 Necrons)
    Phase out 13 (needs to kill 38 )

Scraped Flayed ones & Destroyers, Added 2nd Wraith unit, 2nd immortals (both 6 strong) & 3rd Warriors (now 10 strong). What this means: assault arm now able to support each other very easily with them all being jetbikes. Firepower is a tad weaker without destroyers, but still mobile enough with 2 units of immortals. Also the 3rd unit of troops gives me more options in objective games.

Basic setup remains, refused flank with warriors just one side of center with immortals on the refused flank side, so they can maneouver beck to the other side. on extreme flan go the wraith, Lord & Scarabs. Basically, try to destroy one flank, then roll up.

What do you's reckon, better?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it looks solid, just i would recommend putting a rez orb on the lord, other then that alzer's advice is always very solid...

the only thing is id personally like to add destroyers to that list but thats all i see, as they are the best necron unit that can pretty much kill anything on the battle field, and especially playing an army that will swarm you like orks or tyranids you really really need them
    anyways good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

324 (x8)

The squads of wraiths make destroyers an iffy call, and really with the number of immortals they are less necessary. The list looks pretty good, best of luck with it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast