2500pts competitive noob list - Ard Boyz worthy? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

2500pts competitive noob list - Ard Boyz worthy?

Hi, I'm a little new to Tau. I'd like to build a competitive, tournament-caliber list. What do you think of the following? C&C welcomed.

HQ - 336
    Shas'o - Plasma, Missile, Drone Cont, Multi-tracker, Shield Drone, Target Lock, Stimulant Injector - 142
    2x Bodyguards - Plasma, Missile, Drone Cont, Multi-tracker, Targeting Array, 2x Shield Drones - 194

ELITE - 442
    3x Crisis - Shas'vre, Plasma, Missile, Drone Cont, Multi-tracker, Targeting Array, Marker Drone - 221
    3x Crisis - Shas'vre, Plasma, Missile, Drone Cont, Multi-tracker, Targeting Array, Marker Drone - 221

TROOP - 977
    12x Fire Warriors - 120
    Devilfish - Disruption Pod, Smart Missile - 105
    11x Fire Warriors - 110
    Devilfish - Disruption Pod, Smart Missile - 105
    11x Fire Warriors - 110
    Devilfish - Disruption Pod, Smart Missile - 105 (from Pathfinders)
    20x Kroots - Shaper - 161
    20x Kroots - Shaper - 161

FAST ATTACK - 126
    8x Pathfinders - 3x Railrifles + Target Locks - 126

HEAVY - 615
    3x Broadsides - Shas'vre, 3x Adv. Stabilisation, Drone Cont., Target Lock, 2x Shield Drones - 285
    Hammerhead - Disruption Pod, Multi-tracker, Railgun, 2x Burst Cannons - 165
    Hammerhead - Disruption Pod, Multi-tracker, Railgun, 2x Burst Cannons - 165

TOTAL - 2496

Last edited by jy2; July 4th, 2009 at 17:03.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A couple of things:

1 your commander is illegal. If you have a drone controller you have to have a drone. Also a Shas'el could have all that for less...but take off the shield generator, they are worthless. Also Stim-injectors are single issue. You can only have one per army. That reduces the exorbitant cost of that HQ a bit. Also everything but the Targeting array and Shield Gen (should you choose to keep it) needs to be Hard-wired.

2. For Ard Boyz I would recommend against Piranha, replace them with a team of pathfinders. Remember that nasty 2nd ard boyz scenario..each of those Piranha are worth a wopping 4 KPs!!!

3. Replace a unit of FWs with a large kroot group (or two!!!)

4. If your going to take the SMS you really need to take the Multi-tracker as well. The Railheads also need the Multi-tracker.

5. Remove one devilfish and have that squad use the required one from the pathfinders previously mentioned.

6. More markerlights. Glorious laser pointers of death. Replace the Shield drones on the elites with Marker Drones.
    Last edited by Zeev; July 4th, 2009 at 03:54.
    Omak, WA Gaming club at the Bistro Cheval Rouge on Main Street.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have to agree with ZEEV, 360pts for a HQ is expensive, and you could get the same for so much cheaper, your spamming fire warriors is a bad choice for two reasons, 1. judges hate spammed lists, unless of course the army is designed ie nids and orks, and even then they have a limit lol, " no kroot means you wont be gettin no where, they are vital for the greater good, 10-16 kroot with 4+ hounds is a great counter assault unit, they can infriltrate a head of your army into cover or they can outflank to harass enemy units. also at this point level you really need disco rave lights (markerlights to you and me) hitting in 2's is killer trust me hope this all helps

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

OK...made changes as suggested. Better now?

I Sincerely Want a Parrot counterwavecounter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x1)

- Your HQ is still really really expensive. Tau HQs are just Crisis suits with better BS and should be treated as such; don't give them VIP upgrades. I would instead keep the HQ solo, demote to 'El, drop the Drone Controller, drop the Target Lock, add a Targeting Array, and field those bodyguards as standard Elite suits.

- Lose the Shapers in the Kroot squads, the 6+ save you get is not worth the cost of the Shaper (keep in mind that Kroot are sacrificial). Furthermore, all Kroot squads need Hounds; Hounds increase Kroot punch significantly.

- I would dedicate the Pathfinders exclusively to marking, don't give them Rail Rifles.

- Lose the Target Lock in the Broadside unit, bring all those Rail-Guns to bear on one target at a time, shoot something and make sure it's out of the game.
    "The man in the bowler hat is Mr. Average in his anonymity. I, too, wear one; I have no great desire to stand out from the masses." - Rene Magritte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by counterwavecounter View Post
    -
    - Lose the Target Lock in the Broadside unit, bring all those Rail-Guns to bear on one target at a time, shoot something and make sure it's out of the game.
    I agree with everything you said except this last bit.

Giving them a target lock means that they 'can' fire at the same target if you want them too, such as a monolith or landraider etc, but you can also split fire at multiple targets if you want too. Options are always good.

Dave
    I don't care what you say. I found a lightsaber in my garage and that makes me a Jedi

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

For the HQ, which wargears should I get rid of? Should I lose the bodyguards? Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Easiest solution is to knock him down to a Shas'el, that 15 extra points right there.

Remove One shield drone from each suit...thats too much shield drone.
    Omak, WA Gaming club at the Bistro Cheval Rouge on Main Street.

+ Reply to Thread