Updated 1850 List review please - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Updated 1850 List review please

I've gone over this list a zillion times and I think I'm starting to get happy with it. Please review and offer feedback.

A few notes:

1.) Warboss will be in 'Ard Boyz Trukk
    2.) Big Mek will be in Nobz Trukk
    3.) 20 Slugga squad in Battle Wagon
    4.) In my old list was trying for 2 squads x 9 Lootas and 5 Deffkoptas. I switched that to 15 lootas and 3 warbuggies to make points for the battlewagon and 'ard boyz.

I've read the 'Ard boyz upgrade isn't generally worth it in larger groups. I'm thinking of doing this setup to create 3 transports that will cause the enemy to have to make a hard decision on what to attack. 20 boyz in a BW, 8 nobz with KFF, or 'Ard boyz with a warboss. the point difference if going with regular boyz instead of 'ard boyz is 44 points which I guess could go into lootas or grots but otherwise I can't get much with that.

Questions:

1.) is 1 squad of 15 lootas ok since I don't have the points for 2 squads of 9.
    2.) Am I making any errors with the vehicle/transport arrangements.
    3.) Will I miss the deffkoptas x 5 TL rokkits too much, or will the buggies be ok?
    4.) 2 squads of 30 shootas foot slogging behind the vehicles, will they miss out on too much action?
    5.) Battlewagon, 1xbig shoota/ram/grot rigger ok on the upgrades there?
    6.) Over by 5 points, where can I squeeze those out?
    7.) Anything I should do different, i'm missing, totally screwed up here?

Thanks!

EDIT - List Updated in Post #3

HQ: Warboss (120 Pts)
    1 Warboss
    Power Klaw; Twin Linked Shoota; 'Eavy Armour; Attack Squig; Cybork Body

HQ: Big Mek (95 Pts)
    1 Big Mek
    Choppa; Kustom Force Field;

Troops: 'Ard Boyz (185 Pts)
    10 'Ard Boyz
    Choppa & Slugga; 'Eavy Armour
    1 'Ard Boyz Nob
    Power Klaw; 'Eavy Armour; Bosspole
    1 Trukk
    Big Shoota (x1); Reinfoced Ram

Troops: Nobz (385 Pts)
    8 Nobz
    Big Choppa (x2); Power Klaw (x2); Shoota/Skorcha Kombi-weapon (x2); Bosspole (x1); Cybork Body; Waaagh! Banner (x1)
    1 Painboy
    1 Trukk
    Big Shoota (x1); Reinforced Ram

Troops: Boyz (160 Pts)
    19 Boyz
    Choppa & Slugga
    1 Boyz Nob
    Power Klaw; Bosspole

Heavy Support: Battlewagon (105 Pts)
    1 Battlewagon
    Big Shoota (x1); Grot Rigger; Reinforced Ram

Troops: Boyz (235 Pts)
    29 Boyz
    Big Shoota (x3); Shoota
    1 Boyz Nob
    Power Klaw; Bosspole

29 Boyz
    Big Shoota (x3); Shoota
    1 Boyz Nob
    Power Klaw; Bosspole

Elite: Lootas (225 Pts)
    15 Lootas
    Defffguns

Fast Attack: Warbuggies (105 Pts)
    3 Warbuggies - 3 Twin LinkedRokkit Launcha

Total Roster Cost: 1855

Last edited by techvoodoo; July 6th, 2009 at 07:02.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

I'm not a fan of 'Ard Boyz...would rather have a larger group of boyz or put the points torwards something else. they are good at tarpitting but a small group isnt going to get much done in my opinion.

Warbuggies are fantastic for their points. i might like them more than deffkoptas because of them being 10 points cheaper. also 15 lootas work wonders against lightly armoured vehicles. 15 might be a bit much, but "mor dakka is betta dakka".

No deff rolla on the battlewagon? if you want to get something to combat, put the unit in a vehicle next to the battlewagon that has a deff rolla on it. the battlewagon will draw all of the firepower while the other transport delivers the punch. I'm a big fan of a battlewagon rush. Put 20 shoota boyz in a battlewagon and shoot as your coming in, definitely something people have to watch out for. boyz with firepower and assault power =)

nob unit is nice, but is very pricey for this point game. 385 points is approaching 25% of your army. Yes they are tough to kill, but it is a lot of points to put into a unit, especially since you are playing orks where numbers = power. could look into a second unit of lootas or kommandos or even more boyz.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the reply.

I made some modifications. I got rid of 1 nob, and couple lootas and the 'ard boys. That allowed me to bring in another battlewagon of 19 regular boys, which instead of having a nob will house the Warboss with a bosspole.

I put deffrollas on both of the 2 battlewagons. I didn't realize how awesome they were and after reading the rules closer that's seems like a must have. still not sure if the battlewagons need grot riggers or any other upgrades, i only have riggers now.

I want to keep the nobz squad. I've purchased and painted them already, along with a trukk, and also in the smaller point games i've played so far I've enjoyed them. I'm not totally sure how confident I am in having the nobz in a trukk as a transport. my trukks always get destroyed. I guess the KFF should help more, maybe I've just been rolling unlucky.

thanks for any more advice on the up dated list.

HQ: Warboss (120 Pts)
    1 Warboss
    Power Klaw; Shoota; 'Eavy Armour; Attack Squig; Bosspole; Cybork Body

HQ: Big Mek (85 Pts)
    1 Big Mek
    Choppa; Kustom Force Field

Troops: Nobz (360 Pts)
    7 Nobz
    Big Choppa (x2); Power Klaw (x2); Shoota/Skorcha Kombi-weapon (x2); Bosspole; Cybork Body; Waaagh! Banner
    1 Painboy
    1 Trukk
    Big Shoota (x1); Reinforced Ram

Troops: Boyz (114 Pts)
    19 Boyz
    Choppa & Slugga

Troops: Boyz (160 Pts)
    19 Boyz
    Choppa & Slugga
    1 Boyz Nob
    Power Klaw; Bosspole

Heavy Support: Battlewagon (120 Pts)
    1 Battlewagon
    Big Shoota (x1); Deff Rolla; Grot Rigger

Heavy Support: Battlewagon (120 Pts)
    1 Battlewagon
    Big Shoota (x1); Deff Rolla; Grot Rigger

29 Boyz
    Big Shoota (x3); Shoota
    1 Boyz Nob
    Power Klaw; Bosspole

29 Boyz
    Big Shoota (x3); Shoota;
    1 Boyz Nob
    Power Klaw; Bosspole

Elite: Lootas (195 Pts)
    13 Loota
    Defffguns

Fast Attack: Warbuggies (105 Pts)
    1 Warbuggies
    1 Warbuggy
    Twin Linked Rokkit Launcha
    1 Warbuggy
    1 Warbuggy

Total Roster Cost: 1849

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any thoughts on the new updated list on the previous post? I've been going back and forth for 2 or 3 weeks now trying to decide on what I want to play before I start ordering stuff and could really use the help, so I don't end up with a bunch of expensive figures I won't be using.

Many thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    93 (x2)

On your more recent list, I dont think your nobz mob needs to be so large to still be effective. More often than not a unit of ~6 nobz including painboy can get the job done. Use the extra points to get a klaw nob for the 19 slugga unit (I am aware you want a warboss in there, but the nob will help more here than another one in the nob squad). With extra points I'd prefer to see armor plates on those battlewagons, more so than grot riggers actually.

Finally, consider running the big mek with a battlewagon. That way your force field bubble is less likely to go pop so soon (even with a force field a trukk has a nasty tendency to go boom).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the tips. I'll do the nob switch and try out the mek in the battlewagon to see how they play.

having no experience with it yet i don't know why would you recommend armor plates over grot riggers. why is downgrading crew stunned better than undoing an immobilzed effect?

thanks again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

93 (x2)

Simply because if you are immobilized you will remain immobilized for at least 1 turn as the riggers take place in the shooting phase. Also, it's not even a guaranteed success to repair the immobilized result so you may end up sitting in your vehicle for 2+ turns not moving. Unless you are immobilized on the first turn I would likely just get out and hoof it in that case.

On the other hand, if you cannot be stunned it will continue to force more shots into your battlewagon until it is immobilized or destroyed. But, if we now have the big mek in the battlewagon, he can fix the immobilized result anyways.

This is just a matter of personal opinion though, so don't take it as canon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the tip! I didn't realize the rigger was during the shooting phase, I must have miss read the rules I thought you did it at the start of movement phase so could still move after you fixed the vehicle.

One more question though. Is putting the nob squad in a Trukk too much of a risk? I wanted to use the BW for the boys so i could have 20 man squads, as 12 boys in a trukk seems to small of a group.

Or am I shooting myself in the foot by putting my expensive nob group in a vulnerable trukk?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

93 (x2)

Yes and no. Obviously a battlewagon is safer than a trukk. However, you can always use the battlewagon to screen the trukk thus keeping it safe from harm altogether. Additionally, you have the benefit of not lumping all your eggs in one basket. If the nob trukk goes down you still have 20 mobile boyz and vice versa. Besides, due to ramshackle you may very well just scatter 18" directly at the enemy if your nobz go down

+ Reply to Thread