500 point list, My very first for Tau - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

500 point list, My very first for Tau

I would like a bit of critique for my list as it is my first for Tau and this list is just for fun playing a friend of mine. So here I go:

HQ
    Shas'o w/ Airbursting Fragmentation Projector, Plasma Rifle, Multi Tracker, Stim Injector
    +
    Shas'vre Boduguard w/ 2 Missile Pods, Multi Tracker, Targeting Array

Total: 204

Troops:
    11 Fire Warriors + Shas'ui w/ Markerlight and Bonding Knife + Devilfish APC w/ no extras (original equipment)

10 Kroot Mercs w/ no bonuses

Total: 499

Grand Total 500 pt List: 499

Last edited by Legal Deagles; July 5th, 2009 at 18:40.
    Well hello Mr. Fancypants! Way I see i you're in charge of two things right now: Jack and S***, and Jack just left town.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi there mate nice to see a new shas'la has joined the greater good, and i would like to help u you with your list so here i go

down grade your shas'o to a shas'el, then give him a targeting array, you now have a shas'o for 15pts less!

take that markerlight off your fire warrior squad, as only your commander and his bodyguard can use them, and as 1 is bs5 he cant get better and the other is bs4 twinlinked, which is actually better than bs5

[Shas'vre Boduguard w/ 2 Missile Pods, Multi Tracker, Targeting Array]
    unfortunatly this is illegal as 2 misslepods count as twinlinked, bonus is it cost less (a whole 6 pts lol) and as its twin linked you dont need the multi tracker so another 5 points saved!

everything else in your list looks pretty solid, but now you have 57pts spare, so what can we do?

first lesson of the day.... all tau vehicles should always be equiped with disruption pods. nearly having a permanent 4+ cover save is a must,

you could bring a cheap suit with a fusion and flamer to deal with any heavy armour and troops, or maybe another deathrain to compliment your hq squad, this i will leave to you to decide because it really depends on your playing style. i hope this has helped you out and good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about a 4 gun drone squadron instead of the extra suit? If they use pulse carbines and they can deep strike then against say, Guardsmen, I could help pin the squad with ease, or aren't they worth it?

I've fixed the rest of my list and added the disruption pod now, so thanks for the help!
    Well hello Mr. Fancypants! Way I see i you're in charge of two things right now: Jack and S***, and Jack just left town.

Por'vre T'olku Shien
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

I'll go line by line here.

Shas'o w/ Airbursting Fragmentation Projector, Plasma Rifle, Multi Tracker, Stim Injector
    You don't need to make his Shas'O, make it a Shas'El with a targeting array as his third hard-point abd you can hard-wire the Multi-Tracker, saving some points. In addition, he suffers from a rather severe schizophrenia of purpose; the AFP and Plasma rifle serve very different battlefield purposes and so one will be ineffective no matter what you're doing. I suggest swapping out one of the weapons, I'd drop the AFP for either a Missile Pod or a Fusion Blaster. Let your Troops deal with hordes.

Shas'vre Boduguard w/ 2 Missile Pods, Multi Tracker, Targeting Array
    As Starfire said, the suit is illegal. You are not allowed two of the same weapons system, only one Twin-Linked version. Your suit also uses four hard points, but that's very easily fixed when we twin-link the weapons and drop the multi-tracker. I suggest also separating him from your HQ, since his weapons again serve a different purpose than his do. you can save 10 points by making this guy an Elite instead of a bodyguard with no reduction in power, to boot.
    tactic note: if you still want the two suits together after doing this you can. Your commander is an Independant Character and so can join with other units... such as this one.

11 Fire Warriors + Shas'ui w/ Markerlight and Bonding Knife + Devilfish APC
    You badly need a Disruption Pod on your Devilfish, it is flat-out the best upgrade point-for-point in the codex, possibly the game. You can also drop the markerlight, since it really won't see much use at this points level. Otherwise fine

10 Kroot Mercs
    classic and fun, these guys will be worth their weight in gold if you use them right.

Overall, you list suffered from two things: some wasted points and a complete lack of anti-tank fire. The Fusion Blaster will fix the latter and the changes I stated will fix most of the former. So, the revised list:

HQ:
    Shas'el (Fusion, Plasma, Targeting Array, Hard-Wired Multi-Tracker) 97

Elite:
    Shas'ui (Twin-Linked Missile Pods, Targetting Array) 53

Troops:
    12x Fire Warrior ('Ui, Bonded) 135
    -Devilfish (Disruption Pod) 85
    10x Kroot (70)

Total: 440

Wow, what a difference, right? Now, we have a bunch of points to play around with (60 to be precise). That's not QUITE enough to grab a Broadside... but since I like Broadsides so much I'm going to suggest dropping 2 of your Fire Warriors (making the squad size 10, still very respectable) and picking up a Broadside with Advanced Stabilization for 80.

An alternative would be to get some drones for the commander, or a 5-man Gun Drone Squad (remember the commander can join units, so they'll be able to be his bodyguard)

If you're still worried about hordes, you could go for an Elite Heatwave suit in the following configuration: Shas'Vre with Twin-linked Flamers, AFP, and a hard-wired multi-tracker. it'll chew up just about the entire 60 points you have left, but there is no one model in our army that is quite as dangerous to light infantry as one of those.

Keep in mind that what I post is my thoughts, others will disagree on various parts. As always, play what you like. You'll play better and have much more fun besides.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by PsyBomb; July 6th, 2009 at 18:44.
    I fight for the Greater Good. Too bad for you it's MY Greater Good.

Snow Forces of T'olku W/L/D : 3-4-2... I like to think I'm learning, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

This is how I run 500pts.

HQ - shas'el with MP, PR, TA, HW-MT = 97

E - shas'ui-team leader- (crisis suit) with FB, PR, TA, HW-MT = 77

T - 10 kroot = 70

T - 9 FWs = 90

HS - hammerhead with railgun, 2 BCs, MT, DP = 165

total = 499/500

With low point lists, you need all the guns you can muster.

The hammerhead does the most damage, as its "pie-plates" can take out whole squads.

My shas'el, and shas'ui team leader, come a close second. They take out any light vehicles, walkers, SM in general, termies, and stand-alone characters.

My FWs, and Kroot, just wipe up what's left.

I simply vote against a devilfish, due to its lack of guns. Like I said before, in a list under 1000pts, Tau need their guns.
    Forces such as IG, Tyranids, and Orks can still put the hurt on you at 500.

I'd just like to add, if you wish, you can which out the elite's FB for a MP.

I hope I helped.

+ Reply to Thread