1500 pts Tau army-needs work, suggestions please! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky way, 2009+...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 pts Tau army-needs work, suggestions please!

This is my army list as it stands right now. Its in need of a fair bit of work(my 0-8 record proves that), and i'll show later what i intend to do with it. Mostly, I'm fighting Marines, Chaos Marines, and Orks.

HQ:
    1x Shas'o Crisis Battlesuit Commander-103 pts
    (Cyclic Ion Blaster, Burst Cannon, Multi Tracker)

2x Shas'vre Crisis Battlesuit bodyguards-164 pts
    (Twin linked Plasma Rifles, Missile Pod, Hardwired Multi-tracker)

Elites:
    6x Shas'ui Stealthsuits-244 pts
    (2 fusion blasters, 2 marker drones)

1x Shas'vre Crisis Battlesuit-89 pts
    (Fusion Blaster, Sheild, Missile pod, hard wired Multi-tracker)

Heavy Support:
    1x Hammerhead Gunship-160 pts
    (Railgun, Smart Missile System)

Sniper Drone Team-80 pts

Troops
    12x Shas'la Fire warriors-132 pts
    (Pulse Carbines, Photon Grenades)

12x Shas'la Fire warriors-132 pts
    (Pulse Rifles, Photon Grenades)

14x Kroot Carnivores-98

14x Kroot Carnivores-98

Devilfish Transport-80 pts

Fast Attack
    8x Gun Drones-96

Current Total: 1471

First, i'm going to address the obvious-im fully aware i need to give my “lone wolf” fusion blaster battlesuit some buddies to go hunting with. Second, I should also be giving some options to my vehicles, particularly my Railhead. The only reason i haven't is to match points cost with my brother (CharnelLord666), who is causing me to strip my army down to about 1331 for points, ususally by dropping the devilfish and marker drones.

Now I'm going to list below what i intend to get for this army, in the hopes of filling it out a bit.

3x Shasui Broadside Battlesuits-240 pts
    (3 Targeting arrays)
    This ought to help me with my tank-busting problems

2x Sniper Drone teams-160 pts
    Since three teams count as one choice, why not?

2x Shas'ui Crisis Battlesuits-148 pts
    (Fusion Blasters, Missile Pods, Sheilds, Hard wired Multi-trackers)
    These will join my lonely battlesuit out on the field and help with tank-hunting

24xShas'la Fire Warriors-264 pts
    (2 squads, Rifles, Photon Grenades)
    More rifles is a good thing.

I”m also considering other options, such as Shapers to help my kroot stay alive, and maybe a squad of vespid...im not 100% sure about this though, and as such I would love to hear your suggestions as to what im doing right and what im doing wrong.

Last edited by TheAmazingRando; July 7th, 2009 at 18:44.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi there mate gonna help you out with your list, so here goes.....

your hq unit is really well matched, 1 model firing low ap at medium range (your commander) then the other two are firing medium to high ap at at long range ( his bodyguards). to utilise your commander you are sacrificing half of the range of the misslepods, which is not a good thing to do. i think you would be better off if you equipped your commander the same as his bodyguards it would be a much better unit.

i quite like stealth suits although they only feature in my lists of 2000pts or more, or as an alternative markerlight source from pathfinders, but i rarely do that, i think you would be better off with a 2 man deathrain squad

your lone fusion blaster xv8 has me confused, he has 1 weapon yet you gave him a multitracker? and on top of that you want to put more models into a suicide squad, IMO this is bad, as i think a 1-3 man fireknive squad will average out better

i really like the amount of troops you have you should do really well in objectives, but i do have a good tip for you...... swap2-4 kroot in each squad for hounds, trust me they are more than a match for a lot of opponents, and there is a nice trick you can do with them, as most opponenets are I4 or under you can use the hounds to attack first, and 4 hounds yield 12 attacks on the charge, they take the return attacks, then your kroot hit with there 30 attacks, its brilliant because even tho the kroot normally lode out on Iniative the hounds can usually make sure everyone gets there full complement of attacks.

i dont like sniper drones as i think they take up a valuable heavy support slot, and dont really fit in with the whole mobile army theme, but thats up to you as you have only used 2 heavy slots anywats, but your hammerhead could be better.....this is the generalaly agreed upon set up of a hammerhead

hammerhead with burst cannons, multitracker and disruption pods 165pts
    now this little beauty can move 12" and still fire that railgun, which is extremly important! this means any units assaulting your hammerhead need 6's to hit, improving its surviability
    lastly disruption pods should always be taken as this gives a near permanent 4+ cover save, which is a valuable commodity,

another thing is your gun drone squadrone, and this is tricky, as i have used them quite alot in the past and they only do one of two things, completly kill 1-2 units or die in 1 turn of shooting from someone sneezing at them (lol) now dont get me wrong i do like the whole jsj twinlinked pulse carbines, but as the bs is so low even with twinlinked weapons you rarely get more 4-5 hits, and the pinning test that follows is only effective against certain units at certain points in the game ( you wont pin marines just like you wont pin 12+ ork unit, however when certain nasty units can be pinned and it is pulled off it is one of the best assets to have, imagine 1-2 rounds of extra shooting at that really nasty CC squad!

i think what would be a good investment for you would be a second hammerhead, as this can deal with numerous things where as the broadsides can only deal with heavy armour/infantry, but again this one is down to pure opinion, so its really up to you, as for everything else i think there are some good idea's there! keep going for it and i hope you get some good luck with your future games
    starfire

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky way, 2009+...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow, i DID screw up on my lone crisis suit. that has been fixed, i was mixed up between my other battlesuits

because i'm new to some of the user-terms on here, can you define Deathrain squad?

I've been considering kroot hounds, and really, against my brother's assault and walker army, it really would help de-fang his biggest offensive force...that and i should be putting emp grenades on all my warriors. dang dreadnaughts...

anyways, thanks for the suggestions!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A deathtrain is a XV8 equiped with twinlinked missle pods, and whatever else the player wants, like targeting arrays, or flamers.

Dont worry to much about getting your monat configuration wrong, we all make mistakes at some point, as well as starting off as noobs lol

hope i have managed to help you in some way good luck with any up coming games

+ Reply to Thread