Starting Tau - 1500 point army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting Tau - 1500 point army

I'm just starting out as a new Tau player. I read the XV8 and vehicle guides and thanks Riki for those, I learned a ton. Now on to my army. I typically will be playing 1000-1500 points against SM, Ork or IG.

Please feel free to rip this army to shreds, but add some suggestions too

HQ
    Shas'el - TL MP, SI, DC - 2 shield drones (108 points)

Elite
    2 Crisis Suits - TL MP, TA (106 points)
    6 Stealthsuits - BC, TA (240 points)

Fast Attack
    6 Pathfinders - ML (167 points)
    - Devilfish BC, GD, Disruption Pod, MT
    - 2 Gun Drones

Troops
    10 Firewarriors - PR, Photon Grenades (110 points)
    10 Firewarriors - PR, Photon Grenades (210 points)
    - 2 Gun Drones

Heavy Support
    2 Broadsides - TLRG, SMS, Advanced Stabilzation (160 points)
    1 Hammerhead - Railgun, Burst Cannon, Disruption Pod, MT, 2 Seeker Missles (185 points)

My logic behind this build: the 2 HQs and 2 Elite Crisis give me 6 Crisis suits, so 12 TL strength 7 shots at 4 different targets per round, the Pathfinders give me 6 ML per round. I gave the FW the Photon Grenades since 2 of the armies that I will face most are horde assaulty armies. I only gave one FW squad a Devilfish and plan on using the one from the pathfinders for the 2nd group. The biggest downfall to me with this group seems that there aren't many troops, so objective based missions will be hard to win, so I was wondering if it would be best to drop one of the HQ units and pick up another 10 FW squad (without PG) and just have them behind the other 2 squads in case of assault.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

Hey there, I have a few suggestions for your list.

Your HQ's are a little underpowered. If you want Missile pods, go with MP,PR,MT,TA - 97 points. If you really want the defence, whack on a drone for 112 pts.
    This will give you the ability to shoot highly accurate missiles but also wreak havoc with the Plasma rifle. Stims are handy but at this point level I would rely on the assault move to keep you safe.

I would keep the elites exactly as is, good looking units there.

Drop the grenades from the FW's, if you get caught in CC you are dead no matter what you do.

I would also drop the seekers from the Hammerhead, you are going to average 3 markerlight hits per turn, and you are going to want to use all of those for your troops.

This will give you some more points to throw around.

Dave
    I don't care what you say. I found a lightsaber in my garage and that makes me a Jedi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dave,

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Taking your HQ ideas into account and taking off the seeker missles, I'm down to 1438 points.

What I was also thinking about doing is dropping the 2 Broadsides and picking up another Hammerhead. My thought on that is that with the 2 Hammerheads I can have 2 ordinance for taking out the horde armies (my buddy will probably have close to 100 boyz in his army, if not more) and hopefully that will help me at least take out some of the groups in the first two rounds. That puts me at 1443 points.

Would the addition of the extra ordinance make up for losing 2 railguns (or 1 if I choose to use the single shot on the extra hammerhead)? With the extra 57 points, I was thinking of either adding 1 more crisis suit to one of the elite squads, or possibly adding 2 pathfinders (to give me 8, and giving the extra 2 pathfinders a rail rifle/TL, so i'd still have my 6 markerlights each round, but i'd also have 2 more S6 AP3 weapons that could potentially pin an enemy group for each round.

Jeremy
    Last edited by Lemurkiller; July 8th, 2009 at 05:37. Reason: Edited so it wasn't a wall of text

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you wont pin space marines and you can only really pin ork units after there down past 10 men, so i woild drop the rail rifles for normal pathfinders. If you feel like you dont have enough troops, drop a commander and add in a kroot squad with hounds, as they are an excellent counter assault unit and good for outflanking against guard. I like the second hammerhead idea, as these will be especially useful agaist orks and IG. hope this helps and good luck with your list!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the ideas star. I know very little about kroot so I'll have to read up on them more. I was initially turned off of them because of their lack of any kind of armor save. It seems to me that human tau auxiliary would be better as meat shields since they get an armor save

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Lemurkiller View Post
    I'm just starting out as a new Tau player. I read the XV8 and vehicle guides and thanks Riki for those, I learned a ton. Now on to my army. I typically will be playing 1000-1500 points against SM, Ork or IG.

Please feel free to rip this army to shreds, but add some suggestions too

HQ

Elite
    6 Stealthsuits - BC, TA (240 points)

Fast Attack
    6 Pathfinders - ML (167 points)
    - 2 Gun Drones

Troops
    10 Firewarriors - PR, Photon Grenades (110 points)
    10 Firewarriors - PR, Photon Grenades (210 points)
    - 2 Gun Drones

Heavy Support
    2 Broadsides - TLRG, SMS, Advanced Stabilzation (160 points)
    1 Hammerhead - Railgun, Burst Cannon, Disruption Pod, MT, 2 Seeker Missles (185 points)

My logic behind this build: the 2 HQs and 2 Elite Crisis give me 6 Crisis suits, so 12 TL strength 7 shots at 4 different targets per round, the Pathfinders give me 6 ML per round. I gave the FW the Photon Grenades since 2 of the armies that I will face most are horde assaulty armies. I only gave one FW squad a Devilfish and plan on using the one from the pathfinders for the 2nd group. The biggest downfall to me with this group seems that there aren't many troops, so objective based missions will be hard to win, so I was wondering if it would be best to drop one of the HQ units and pick up another 10 FW squad (without PG) and just have them behind the other 2 squads in case of assault.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

HQ - As suggested before, go with MP/PR/TA/HW MT on your shas'el(s). I never had need for SDs on mine, so I now leave that opinion to the player.

E - For my stealth, I have a team leader with WH DC and 1-2 MDs. I keep them small (3-4 models), and makes the team easier to hide. They do crazy damage to bikers, hehe.

FA - I see gun drones, listed twice, for your PFs. Is this a typo, or do you have 2 GDs attached to your PF team? As a rule, don't add much to a PF team besides the basics. If not protected correctly, you lose them quickly. I never used a MT, on devilfish, so I can't comment on that.

T - Drop the grenades, as Tau can hit the broadside of a barn with them. Besides, if the enemy is close enough to use grenades against, you're doing something wrong. Again with the GDs. I'm getting a bit confused with them being listed twice. They're standard on a devilfish, but I'm losing the love for them attached to FW/PF teams. Again, I never used a MT on a devilfish, so I can't comment.

Kroot are a great , and needy, addition to a Tau force. The favored practice is a squad of 10kroot/10hounds. Hold them back to protect your FWs from assaults, or have them work their way ( with the stealth team ) up to the enemy battleline.
    I've also seen a squad of 15-20 kroot, shaper ( for added LD ), and some krootox used as another firebase. Seen them take out SM/CSM.
    The sneaky way is a squad of 15-20 kroot, hiding in a froest, firing away. Since they hide deep within a wooded area, your opponent has to go in after them. Needless to say, it doesn't turn out good for them.

HS - Take the seekers off the HH. If you want seekers, bring a skyray (has 2 MLs of its own) or a pair of Piranhas with 2 seekers. Remember, seekers only operate with MLs so make sure your force has enough.

I hope I helped.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Male,

Thanks for the additional advice. First, a quick comment about the GD. I was just listed them on there because they were standard equipment. I'm not planning on putting GD on my FW squads or the Pathfinder squad.

I'm definitely going to change my HQ's and took the MT off the DF (didn't really think much about it, but I think its best to drop them), but now my question is about the Kroot. Is it better to go with Kroot squads or Tau Human Auxillary?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Taking the feedback I received, this is my new army. Any additional thoughts would be appreciated

HQ:
    Shas'el - MP, PR, HW MT, TA - 97 points
    Shas'el - MP, PR, HW MT, TA - 97 points

Elite
    2 Crisis Suits - TL MP, TA - 106 points
    2 Crisis Suits - TL MP, TA - 106 points
    6 Stealthsuits - BC, TA - 240 points

Fast
    4 Pathfinders - ML, PC - 133 points
    - Devilfish (inc 2 Gun drones) - BC, Disruption Pod

Heavy
    2 Hammerheads - Railgun, 2 BC, Disruption Pod, MT - 330 points

Troops
    10 Fire Warriors - PR - 100 points
    10 Fire Warriors - PR - 185 points
    - Devilfish (inc 2 Gun drones) - BC, Disruption Pod
    10 Kroot Carnivores - Kroot Rifle - 106 points
    - 6 Kroot Hounds

The above army puts me at exactly 1500 points. With the Kroot, is it best to infiltrate them?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

ok, this list is good, in fact it looks erily similar to my list, and i dis agree, keep the photon nades, cus not always are u screwed in combat (most of the time yes but not always) so just remember there is power in numbers.(meaning number of plasma shots) also the kroot, outflank, u can do much more damage if u are able to catch a unit not at full steam. one more thing, trde a shas'el for a shas'o. beleive me the extra points are worth it. other than that good job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have taken this list into thought to build my own thx even though u didnt mean to

+ Reply to Thread