1500 Point first list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 Point first list

==HQ==

Shas'el - 87
    -Missile Pod
    -Plasma Rifle
    -Multi-tracker

Shas'vre - 72
    -Missile Pod
    -Plasma Rifle
    -Multi-tracker

==Elite==

2 Shas'ui - 124
    -Missile Pods
    -Plasma Rifles
    -Multi-trackers

2 Shas'ui - 106
    -Twin Linked Fusion Blaster
    -Targeting Array

==Troops==

10 Firewarriors - 185
    -Devilfish
    -Decoy Launchers

10 Firewarriors - 185
    -Devilfish
    -Decoy Lauchers

10 Firewarriors - 185
    -Devilfish
    -Decoy Launchers

==Heavy Support==

Hammerhead - 185
    -Multi-tracker
    -Decoy Launchers
    -Disruption Pods
    -Target Lock
    -Smart Missile System

Hammerhead - 185
    -Multi-tracker
    -Decoy Launchers
    -Disruption Pods
    -Target Lock
    -Smart Missile System

Hammerhead - 185
    -Multi-tracker
    -Decoy Launchers
    -Disruption Pods
    -Target Lock
    -Smart Missile System

Total Points: 1499

So I was going for a basic Mech Tau list. The hammerheads are the main shooting power, killing tanks and dropping templates on hordes. The FW will capture objectives and reposition as necessary to put fire on infantry and light vehicles.

The FireKnifes will sit back 24'' and put fire on high priority targets and light vehicles/transports, popping out of cover, shooting, then hiding, basic battlesuit tactics.

The suits with TL FB will either deepstrike to kill tanks or move up behind the devilfishes and get into firing positions.

So am I on the right track for my first Tau army?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes, very much so. This list looks very good, a;though i would swap the decoy launchers for disruption pods. Apart from that everything looks coverd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I prefer th Launchers tbh, a 4+ coer save frm 12''+ seems a lot more useful than the VERY situational Pods.

I wil try running both but looking on papr the Launchers are much better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote]I prefer th Launchers tbh, a 4+ coer save frm 12''+ seems a lot more useful than the VERY situational Pods.

I wil try running both but looking on papr the Launchers are much better.[quote]

No there not. A decoy launcher only works when your immobilised by a glancing shot, where as the disruption pod always provides a cover save from any shot originating more than 12" away.

As a standrd rule, your vehicles should never be 12" or closer to the enemy, (devilfish are different, as you do have to get close to use the FOF tactic) so you should always get the cover save. A decoy launcher is a only useful in certain situations, where as for me a disruption pod gives me a cover save for my vehicles for pretty much the entire game. Much better than a decoy launcher and I swear by them. In fact they should print decoy launchers on money because there that good.

On your list the only thing I would change would be the twinlinked fusion blaster squad. You have 3 hammerheads mate, you dont need any more anti armour than that. I would equip them with twinlinked missle pods, as this way they can pop transports while your hammerhead deals with battle tanks, then after they have done that they can move on to medium/light infrantry killing.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your future lists/games

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Totally agree about the Disruption Pods being a "don't leave home without" upgrade. Decoy Launchers allow you to force the opponent to re-roll an Immobilised result indeed, but there is a subtle difference concerning immobilised skimmers in 5th Ed compared to 4th Ed. The main reason folks took the Decoys in 4th Ed was because the Immobilised result would kill a skimmer. In 5th Ed, Skimmers which have not moved flat out in their previous turn do not crash and burn any more when immobilised, so the HH could hit the dirt and continue to take part by firing its Railgun or secondary weapon system.

Yes, it would be preferable to keep it alive and mobile but why would you want to give your opponent a second "bite at the cherry" to try to destroy your vehicle?

A couple of things I would consider changing are your Shas'vre Bodyguard and your second XV8 Elite unit. What I would be taking instead are these:
    1. 2-man Deathrain+ unit (TLMP/TA) instead of the Sunforge unit (TLFB/TA). Benefits: 1) same cost, so no disadvantage there, 2) Long range fire support (42" including JSJ), 3) could join the Shas'el to gain his Leadership, 4) better rate of fire with twin-linking, 5) good high strength multiple shots.
    2. Monat Sunforge (no TA) with DC and 2 Shield Drones: Points = 78

The reason I am suggesting you should reconsider deep striking your Sunforge unit is that it is going to be very vulnerable a) if things go awry and your deep strike goes way off, and b) because you have a lot of anti-tank eggs in one basket there which could go bang if an AP3 pie plate lands on target. In other words, you stand to lose quite a bit.

Using the Deathrain+ team gives you a high strength, multiple shot, twin-linked option which is good enough to counter AV13 ie transports in particular. The Hammerheads are sufficient for anti-tank, as starfire already mentioned, so if you bring in the Deathrains they can take care of the lower AV values which would effectively be a waste of the Railgun strength.

Joining these two models to the Shas'el gets a unit which has long range but also a bit of anti-TEq dissuasion power in his plasma rifle, should anything DS nearby. The Deathrains also benefit from his higher Leadership, and should they both be destroyed then he resorts to IC status anyway. If only one of the DRs and the 'El are destroyed then you have a small problem re Morale, but since the El has more wounds, this is unlikely to happen quite so easily.

Concerning the Shas'vre Bodyguard: You have a spare Elites slot, so why not use it? Bodyguards automatically cost more since they are Shas'vre level, so you're effectively wasting points there unnecessarily. However, you can regain this "suicide jockey" element of the original 2-man Sunforge team by making the ex-Shas'vre into a Monat XV8 with a couple of Shield Drones. Deep Striking is still an option, but is slightly safer because now there are two Invulnerable saves involved should you suffer from the "Accurate Pie Plate" problem again. Alternatively, this guy can quite probably walk across the battlefield towards his target and soak up an inordinate amount of firepower on the way, thanks to the SDs. Don't forget that a Tau jetpacker can always move in the Assault Phase (but not after Deep Striking), even if he has 'run' in the Shooting Phase, just as long as the assault move in this case does not engage an enemy unit in CC.

Finally, I would consider cutting back on the cost of your Hammerheads. Whereas SMS is really good fun (and it certainly is!), it also forces your HH to be within the range of SMS. A HH's main reason of being is to sit back and pop away at enemy targets "away over there". You might like to look at a much slimmer version of the HH: Burst Cannons, Railgun, Disruption Pods, Multitracker = 165pts. Even if you were to do this with just one of your HHs, it would find you points to play with elsewhere.

Hope this was of some help, and sorry for being long-winded.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

+ Reply to Thread