Help! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help!

Its become quite apparent that I cant make a winning list with what Ive got, so Ive decided to post up what Ive got available and see if I can glean some useful information.

HQ-
    Eldrad Ulthran
    1 Farseer
    1 Autarch with Swooping Hawk Wings, Banshee Mask
    6 Warlocks

Elites-
    20 Howling Banshees w/ 2 Exarchs
    10 Fire Dragons w/ Exarch
    8 Striking Scorpions w/ Exarch

Troops-
    28 Dire Avengers w/ 4 Exarchs
    10 Rangers
    10 Storm Guardians (converted)
    32 Guardian Defenders w/ 3 Platforms

Fast Attack-
    7 Warp Spiders /w Exarch
    7 Swooping Hawks w/ Exarch
    2 Vypers

Heavy-
    4 War Walkers
    2 Falcons (considering converting them to Fire Prisms)

Dedicated Transports-
    2 Wave Serpents (1 converted)

It's our struggles that define us, And the hardships we endure,
    Your spirit can't be broken now, You've come too far...
    -Hatebreed

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Hm, I can't see very much innately wrong with your purchases. Other than the fact that you are lacking Fire Prisms. What are the problems you usually have? How many points do you tend to play?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I normally play in a range between 1k and 2k. And Im not entirely sure what happens. Turn 1 and 2 Im usually ripping big holes in em, and then reserves arrive and Ive suddenly lost. Seems to happen every time now.
    -Hatebreed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

There is no such thing as winning list, at least if you're playing Eldar. But I think it does not exist at all.

All we can do is telling you which units of those listed are best and in best configuration... but we'd need to know what kind of Eldar army you'd like to play.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x4)

i see at least 2 serpents less than you really need for 2k points game.

Falcons can make great prism or serpents.

As i see you have to take at least 2 squads of close combat and 2 troops. The rangers/pathfinders can take care against enemy firepower and using one of CC unit as counterattack unit can keep them pretty safe.

your fast attack choices are either expensive (vypers-nice models, no chance against hawks or spiders) or as support harrasing units (due to low size of number of models).
    this means the fast attck choices are to be used to fast redeploy firepower at parts of battlefield where you main assault units need them.

Here i ussualy take the hawks due to their range and sunrifle of the exarch. 5 hawks can give 14 shots at 24". Even at S3 i will take that, especially that 6 of shots are pinning and if i have a doom seer is very ok.

At troops you have a solid range of options. just work how you use them. Defender guardians not so usable, but can be used as storm ones easily (if you do not play in a strong WYSIWYG hobby club).

You really lack in heavy department. 5`th edition falcons are not so lovely to me. War walkers yes yes yes but they need some prisms/dark reapers or even artilery batteries.

At HQ, you have eldrad and another farseer. Autarch for competitive you should have 2 and design a reserve list. If you play with seer council remember that you have a lot of points there. You relly have to make them worthy. I used the seer council is a few games and i had one game where they practically won my game (killed alone half of the enemy army) and another game where they were taken into combat by a low profile but resilient unit and they stayed 4 turns there.

I think you really have to tell us what is your regular strategy, describe more in detail where do you have problems (infiltrators/long range shooting/armor etc).

give some matches examples where you lose initiative.

meybe you need another approach
    Hight elf and Craftworld Eldar army project pics heavy: linky

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    253 (x7)

How anti Mech eldar are you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Skrak View Post
    I normally play in a range between 1k and 2k. And Im not entirely sure what happens. Turn 1 and 2 Im usually ripping big holes in em, and then reserves arrive and Ive suddenly lost. Seems to happen every time now.
    Hm, are you perhaps overly aggressive before their forces are deployed? It's good to do a lot of damage early on, but if it leaves your units vulnerable to counterattack or a few well placed reserves you might consider a slightly more restrictive approach.

Do you have problems moving your forces to counter your opponents reserves? This could probably be mitigated with more Wave Serpents, with EML or Lances they also double as great tank-killers.

Other than that I can't really say with the information you have given. I can offer up some general tips on some of your units though.

In general I don't think Vypers are worth their points, you are almost always better off with War Walkers, more bang for less buck. But if you have problems moving around and countering your foes the Vypers might be the better choice.

Another unit that have never served me well are Warp Spiders, I don't think they are worth 22 points each. Hawks would be a better choice in nearly all scenarios.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    253 (x7)

Its become quite apparent that I cant make a winning list with what Ive got, so Ive decided to post up what Ive got available and see if I can glean some useful information.

HQ-
    Eldrad Ulthran
    1 Farseer
    1 Autarch with Swooping Hawk Wings, Banshee Mask
    6 Warlocks

Elites-
    20 Howling Banshees w/ 2 Exarchs
    10 Fire Dragons w/ Exarch
    8 Striking Scorpions w/ Exarch

Troops-
    28 Dire Avengers w/ 4 Exarchs
    10 Rangers
    10 Storm Guardians (converted)
    32 Guardian Defenders w/ 3 Platforms

Fast Attack-
    7 Warp Spiders /w Exarch
    7 Swooping Hawks w/ Exarch
    2 Vypers

Heavy-
    4 War Walkers
    2 Falcons (considering converting them to Fire Prisms)

Dedicated Transports-
    2 Wave Serpents (1 converted)

If I were you I would take 10 Banshees and a Doomseer, stick them in a Wave serpeant.

Take 10 DA and stick them in a wave serpeant.

Take those 10 storm guardians and buy another wave serpeant and stick them in it.

Convert those falcons to prisms and take them.

Take those rangers.

After that you can decide where to go from there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I play a very aspect warrior heavy force, and just dont have the money to go full mech. Ive seen it done and was very impressed, but alas...

I like to play aggressively and hit hard first turn. I think thats whats killing me with reserve armies. Im just not sure how to set up to receive something that could come out to either side of me and utterly destroy whatever Ive got going on in that quarter.

I usually run my CC units as their own wave of destruction. Unfortunately, they die soon after. Everything Ive read says that Eldar have to strike hard and fast or lose. Hence, I play very aggressively.

I just don't see how to keep my whole army as a cohesive force and still be able to do things like take objectives and hunt specific targets. As a rule, the army is very small, so unless I pack my list with an overabundance of certain elements, thus making it weaker as a whole, I don't really see how I can do these things.

I usually use both Hawks and Spiders in a large list, and the Vypers have kinda fallen by the wayside. I do love my Spiders...

Definitely converting the Falcs to Prisms though. I got the template for the plastic prisms off the forum and my buddy has some plasticard for me. Im way burnt out on BS3 for my heavy tanks.

My biggest weakness is infiltrators I think, and it seems everyone plays that kind of freakin army nowadays. Should I just huddle up in the center and wait for em...?
    -Hatebreed

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

253 (x7)

I play a very aspect warrior heavy force, and just dont have the money to go full mech. Ive seen it done and was very impressed, but alas...

I like to play aggressively and hit hard first turn. I think thats whats killing me with reserve armies. Im just not sure how to set up to receive something that could come out to either side of me and utterly destroy whatever Ive got going on in that quarter.

I usually run my CC units as their own wave of destruction. Unfortunately, they die soon after. Everything Ive read says that Eldar have to strike hard and fast or lose. Hence, I play very aggressively.

I just don't see how to keep my whole army as a cohesive force and still be able to do things like take objectives and hunt specific targets. As a rule, the army is very small, so unless I pack my list with an overabundance of certain elements, thus making it weaker as a whole, I don't really see how I can do these things.

I usually use both Hawks and Spiders in a large list, and the Vypers have kinda fallen by the wayside. I do love my Spiders...

Definitely converting the Falcs to Prisms though. I got the template for the plastic prisms off the forum and my buddy has some plasticard for me. Im way burnt out on BS3 for my heavy tanks.

My biggest weakness is infiltrators I think, and it seems everyone plays that kind of freakin army nowadays. Should I just huddle up in the center and wait for em...?

Who said you have to strike fast the 1st turn to be successful? You know what I do? I shoot my tanks and move my serpeants up far enough they can still shoot their heavy weapon. by turn 3 is when my aspect warriors hit. Then they get back into their transports for safety. Sit on objectives, zoom around and contest.

is most things are in transports then infiltrators only real scare is theyll get ur rear armour, just be careful, my prisms are always with their rear to the board edge.

You hav enough models to make a decent 1000 point mech eldar list.

Put Banshees with a doomseer in a serpeant, put 10 da in the other serpeant, take 2 fire prisms, and then you wont have much left ....i take rangers with the remaining points.

You could probably make a decent list at 1500 using spiders and hawkys....they are allright. just use them right. dont isolate an eldar unit ever. they must work together to win. there not space marines.

If you still need help tommorow, i can make you a list of what i woud use at 1000 and 1500 based on your units you listed.
    Last edited by ericismyname; July 15th, 2009 at 03:03.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast