Army of Shadows - 1750 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x4)

Army of Shadows - 1750

HQ

Troop Hunter Dracon 360 Points
    Dracon
    Punisher, T. Helm, Drugs, Xenospasm, P. Grenades
    5 Incubi
    2 Warriors, Splinter Cannons
    Plasma Grenades
    Raider, Horrorfex, Screaming Jets, Trophy Racks

Troops

Drop Warriors 223 Points (x3) 669 Points
    10 Dark Eldar Warriors
    Splinter Cannon
    Blaster
    Syb, Agoniser, Terrorfex, Plasma Grenades
    Raider, Horrorfex, Screaming Jets, Trophy Racks

Drop Warriors with Disintegrator 228 Points
    10 Dark Eldar Warriors
    Splinter Cannon
    Blaster
    Syb, Agoniser, Terrorfex, Plasma Grenades
    Raider, Horrorfex, Screaming Jets, Trophy Racks, Disintegrator

Elites

Drop Wyches 241 Points (x2) 482 Points
    7 Wyches
    WW, PG, 2 Blasters
    Suc, Ago, Terrorfex
    Raider, Screaming Jets, Trophy racks, Horrorfex, Disintegrator

The idea, clearly enough, is to drop in and pin as much stuff as possible shooting as well to weaken units before muscling into assault, being able to choose your own assault targets. Obviously this won't work against fearless armies, the plan there varies by army. Generally if a large number of raiders are brought to bear at once it iwll be imposisble to down them all and kill all the squads, even with perfect shooting (as few people have 14 units and those that do rarely have the right firepower combination to do it). This means that even without pinning this army can be a threat. If less than 3 raiders come down on tunr 1 against a pinnable enemy or less than 4 against an unpinnable its best to park them at a dsitances and try to keep them alive until the next turn when they can move up with the raiders coming down turn 3 for a similar effect. Otherwise dropping the riaders so as to maximise impact against an inferior force is advised(attempt to bring everything to bear against his heavy weapons and ignore his CC units on the turn you land).

OK people this is a rough draft of a fun army style that may be workable in this edition, please feel free to comment on how to improve it.

Last edited by karantalsis; July 19th, 2009 at 23:32.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x6)

Looks like a fun list to try. Most Army of Shadows has the mandrake element but I think this is a better use of the points.

The biggest draw back of course is not the fact that you are sitting there like a pinata but rather that you are dropping in based on reserve rolls. I remember playing several games in the opening months of 5th ed. thinking deepstriking is the way to go because your survival rate got better and got to disembark the same turn they arrived.

What I found was:

1. You can not disembark the same turn as the BRB states because our own codex does not permit us to disembark.

2. Although you might survive a mishap, I rolled a "1" or "2" on the chart more often than not.

That coupled with bad scattering and random reserve rolls the enemy had an easy time just waiting for me to arrive and take me out piece meal.

Now I will sometimes give a ravager screaming jets but using the jets was purely based on the enemy setup or mission.

Currently, there is one particular squad that I have tried out that I absolutely love is:

~Haemy Bomb~
    4 (or 3 if you are using the other HQ slot) Haemonculi, combat drugs, scissorhand, destructors (and I sometimes give the the crucible of malediction, haywires or trophy racks)
    6 Grotesques
    Raider, screaming jets, horrorfex and lance.

Now this depends mainly on how you interpret the Grotesque rule for "Feel no Pain" so this might not work for everyone. Idea is to aggressively deep strike this unit in the face of the enemy and draw fire. If the raider explodes the passengers disembark and since the explosion is considered a shooting attack then the Grotesques get to ignore it. All you really have to worry about is passing the morale check. Either way you are using the Grotesques as a meat-shield and can be discarded (left behind) at your descretion. Do I care if they get assaulted? Not really, the drugs will let me strike first and I will be in cover anyway.

On the following turn, the 4 drug crazed Haemy's either get into position to lay down 4 flamer templates or prepare to get into close combat with something. Idea is to use the drugs and lay down as many poison hits/wounds as you can on a target and cause "death by armor-save". The Grotesques can also join the fray to lay down a wound or two but mainly be a meat-shield in case the Haemys are too successful and are left stranded.

Again, this depends on your interpretations but if there was ever a unit that can survive deepstriking, its this unit.

As for your list, I would consider arming the wyches with blasters but that's all I can really recommend.
    "On a hunch, I melted them down and inhaled the fumes and read the dark eldar codex again, AND FOUND A BUNCH OF NEW RULES HIDDEN BEHIND THE OTHER WORDS..." [Gardeth on modelling & interpreting the DE Codex]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x4)

Had a game with this now and am really quite pleased with how it went. I was playing against Orks.

Rough Ork List

Mekboy w/ Kustom Forcefield
    Weirdboy

20 Slugga Boyz
    20 Shoota boyz
    20 'Ard Boyz (Slugga)

10 Burna Boyz with 3 Meks
    5 Tankbustas With Rokkits and a Tank Hammer

10 Flashgitz w/ painboy
    2 Killer Kans with Rokkits

5 Deff Koptas no idea what these had

The board was set up with a few buildings some walls, a bunker, some bushes and a ruin providing a reasonable amount of cover differing terrain types. The mission was rolled to be Capture and Control. The Deployment was rolled as spearhead. The Orks won first turn and deployed their force, mostly as far forward as possible with the Shoota Boyz and Flashgitz left back on the objective to hold it.

Turn 1
    The Orks advanced towards the Dark Eldar objective (except fro the Shootas and Flash Gitz who camped out on their own.)

Turn 2
    As turn 1, the Deff Koptas reached the Dark Eldar objective and sat behind it, contesting.

4 Dark Eldar raiders arrived, 2 Raider squads with lances, the HQ squad and one wyche squad. All units deep striked with minimal scatter, the wyches deep int he DE deployment zone and the rest near the Ork obejctive. The wyches shot the deff koptas, pinning them and wounding one whilst their raider fired with its disintegrator doing three wounds and removing two models. The Raider squads and HQ shot at the Flash Gitz, pinning them.

Turn 3

The Burnas turned round and cmae back along with the Mek boy, but didn't get into range to use their falmers. The tank bustats leapt out of the building they had been holed up in and advanced. The Weirdboy teleported his entire 'Ard Boyz unit back behind the raiders, outflanking the outflanking maneuver. The meks in the burnas squad blew a raider up, killing 3 Dark Eldar warriors in the process. The 'Ard Boyz shot the Horrofex off of the comand raider and the Tank Bustas immobilised the other warrior raider. The slugga boyz and Kans continued to advance on the DE objective.

the rest of the Dark Eldar arrived. The Raider with disintegrator landed behind the 'Ard boyz whilst the wyches landed near their brethren in the DE deployment zone. The remaining raider landed directly in front of the tank bustas, near the burna boyz. Shooting saw the Deff Koptas, Burna boyz and flash gitz pinned and 19 casualties inflicted ont eh 'Ard Boyz by the raider squad with disintegrator. Some pistol shots from the wyches killed a few slugga boyz. The wyches charged the slugga boyz, killing seven for a return of one death in addition to the pistol shots and a disintegrator shot from the raider this dropped them to below elven models, they failed their leadership and were run down. The incubi charged and destroyed the Flash Gitz, whilst the Shoota Boyz were engaged by both warrior squads that could assault. The DE lost the assault against the shoota boyz and one squad ran 5" whilst the other passed their morale check and stayed in combat.

Turn 4

The killer Kans down the raider that had attacked the 'Ard Boyz whilst he 'ard boyz themselves shot the horrofex of the immobilised raider. The tank bustas exploded the raider near them, killing 4 Dark ELdar warriors. The Shoota Boyz wiped out their remaining opponents in close combat and consolidated next to the objective, near the DE command squad.

The Dark Eldar repositioned to make assaults and improve llines of sight. The warriors who were int he raider downed by the Killer Kans moved to get line of sight on the Kans back armour. In shooting one Kan was destroyed and the other shaken, the Deff Koptas and Burna boyz were pinned. A single 'Ard Boy died to a dark lance shot. The Shotoa boyz took some casualties from the Command squads shooting and the warrior squads concentrated on whittling down those untis about to be assaulted. The Tank Huntas were assaulted by the Wyches and wiped out. The shoota Boyz were assaulted by the command squad, lost (although they killed an incubi and both Splinter Cannon warriors) and were run down. The warrior squad that shot at the Killer Kans assaulted them as Shaken would not stop them getting assaulted in turn. They had no effect and combat ended drawn.

Turn 5

The ' Ard Boyz advanced and wrecked the immobilised raider (the only target they could get to) The killer Kan squashed a warrior, but the Warriors held.

Both Wyceh squads assaulted the Burna Boyz, the Warriors moved to sit on teh objective and fired at the 'Ard Boyz. The command squad moved to assault the 'ARd Boyz wiping it out, the wyches wiped out the Burna boyz. The game was called here as all that as left for the Ork player was 2 pinned Deff Koptas and a Killer Kan in close combat with a Warrior squad. We didn't roll for extra turns.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x6)

Congrats on the win! Looks like you got him confused with your strategy and had the orks running around chasing themselves.

I have tried deep striking lists against orks but found their dakka too much to handle going in on half strength. Of course, the lists I saw had 2 squads of lootas and a big mek with the big gun.

I think the biggest problem with deep striking lists is the fact that passengers can not disembark or fire on the turn they arrive (because deep striking is "cruising speed") - I can not wait for a new codex to fix this (I am praying they will fix this!).
    "On a hunch, I melted them down and inhaled the fumes and read the dark eldar codex again, AND FOUND A BUNCH OF NEW RULES HIDDEN BEHIND THE OTHER WORDS..." [Gardeth on modelling & interpreting the DE Codex]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x1)

I find that sometimes the unforgiving dice are just too much to bear with deepstriking. I have a 1000 list that's similar to yours, but I have Haemonculi with Terrorfexes in each squad and no lord. Basically combining a Terrorfex from both the Haemonculi and Syrabite and the Horrorfex from the raider (or is it the other way around?) a bunch of enemy squads may be (hopefully) slowed.

I would think that maybe dropping a Ravager would be nice for the powerful guns in the enemies face. Hell, I think Scourges may even have a good use here too.

Congrats though, I may give this a shot too!

-Dark

+ Reply to Thread