1500 Infantry List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

1500 Infantry List

This is my (revised) list for competitive play. It's all infantry and VERY shooty. I feel it can counter a lot of mechanized lists and out shoot most hordes before CC. I'm never happy with my lists though and always open to new ideas. I've worked on this list with my downtime today and I'm relatively confident with my final rough draft. Here it is.

List has been Revised

HQ
    Warboss w/ Warbike, Powerclaw and Slugga 125pts

Elites
    9 Lootas 135pts

9 Lootas 135pts

Troops
    20 Gretchin 2 Runtherders 80pts (22 models)

24 Boyz w/ Shootas and 2 Rokkit Launchas, 1 Nob w/ Slugga and Powerklaw 205pts (25 Boyz total)

24 Boyz w/ Shootas and 2 Rokkit Launchas, 1 Nob w/ Slugga, Powerklaw and Bosspole 210pts (25 Boyz total)

24 Boyz w/ Shootas and 2 Rokkit Launchas, 1 Nob w/ Slugga, Powerklaw and Bosspole 210pts (25 Boyz total)

Fast Attack
    5 Warbikers 1 Nob w/ Powerklaw and Bosspole 190pts (6 models)

Total Cost: 1500 Total Models: 147

Reasoning
    I built the army wanting it on foot. I'm personally not a fan of Trukks and I wanted my squads as big and durable as possible. A lot of armies now run a decent number of heavy weapons to combat Mechanized lists, the best those will do against me is destroy a bike.

The Warboss goes with the Bikers, their job is to get behind or on the flanks of the enemy army and destroy shooty units. The Warboss can also split off to bust tanks or tie up a second unit. I think I gave them the right mix of expendability and punch. I fully expect them to die but if they can destroy a tank and a squad or two they've done their job.

The Lootas are the most reliable way to pop transports from ranged that I was comfortable with. If they can pop Rhinos/Devilfish etc. my foot Boyz can shoot what falls out and assault it, instead of having to pop it with 3 Rokkits and than stand around.

The Gretchin either provide mobile expendable cover or go for objectives closer to my side. They also sit in my deployment zone in Capture and Control. They're the most flexible unit in the army.

I chose Shootas over Sluggas because I'm on foot. Having all my Boyz shoot and than charge isn't much worse than Sluggas using pistols and charging. Also I can shoot things while slogging towards combat, depending on the situation. They can also be an annoyance shooting out of cover on an objective, especially against other assault lists. One Nob lacks a Bosspole because I needed 5 points for one more Loota.

Bikers distract the enemy guns and go hunting for tanks and weak shooting units. They're also handy for last second objective denial assuming they stay alive.

My other reason for the list being so infantry focused is because I have found great deals to build the army plus my planned conversions for under $200. I'm not opposed to adding other things that will ultimately strengthen the army, that's just why I built the army how I did.

Weaknesses
    If the Bikers can't take out any guns before they die, my foot Boyz are going to arrive in much lower numbers. It's pretty obvious to anyone Ork Bikers can wreck your day, so they're going to attract an awful lot of attention. I was thinking of splitting them into 2 squads with 2 Nobz but I don't know if that'd be better.

My other weakness is speed. I only have one fast unit and they're supposed to go down in a flaming glory. I can spread the tide out to cover a lot of board but than I'm open to being flanked. That's probably more of a judgement call game to game though.

Last edited by EmoJosh; July 19th, 2009 at 14:31. Reason: Revisions
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the only change i would make would be ditch the 2 extra runtherders for Boss Poles in the shootas, i don't see needing a couple extra herders being that game breaking. That being said i play with sluggas over shootaz(a even mix actually) and shootas usually put hurt in before running from massive ranged fire, unlike sluggaz. But yea 1 runt herder for 10-19 grots, 2 for 20-29 3 for 30, works the same for stuff like Marine Heavy weapons and stuff.

Quick question, is that 4 warbiikers total in eachh mob or 5? lil decieveing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

Revision nullifies this reply. ><
    Last edited by EmoJosh; July 19th, 2009 at 10:12.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you've got lots of pois left... why dont you just get the boss polls and also think about filling out your boyz mobs..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

368 (x8)

100 Boyz in 1500 isn't filled out? I'd already outnumber most armies 3:1.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Hmm...

Bikes are an odd choice for this list. Kommandos or Deffkoptas would be better. A single unit of bikes charging up in front of the army is going to be wiped out very quickly. I use bikes in speed freaks lists, with trukks, battlewagons, and warbuggies. I'd definitely replace them with either 9 kommandos + 2 burnas + Snikkrot or a nob w/klaw-pole, or a unit of 5 deffkoptas with either big shootas or rokkits. In either case, I'd definitely outflank with them as well.

I'd also add cybork to the boss, and a bosspole to the unit of boyz that doesn't have one. I'd drop 1-4 grots out of the unit, so you only have to use 1 runtherder.

Finally, I'd try putting at least one fast troop unit in the list, otherwise claiming distant objectives will be more or less impossible. They also work great as calvary, to back up the other units. My personal favorite is 20 shoota boyz w/2 big shootas, nob, powerkalw, and bosspole in a battlewagon w/big shoota, grot riggers, and a deffrolla.

In any case, good luck!
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would replace the bikes with 5 defkopta like drax said..

they are fast and because of outflank they will be able to get the job you want them to do done before the enemy shoot em to bitz...

other than that i like your list.. my list too is mostly boyz... dont forget however that the boyz sometimes need help. ork armies work best when they have a good mix of numbers and counters to your foes good points.

Good luck and get out there and win some for THE BOYZ!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

368 (x8)

If I drop the bikes, what do I do with the Boss? Run him behind the Wagon and hope he lives? I don't know how long Battlewagons live in a game as the only vehicle, side armors pretty lame.

If I drop the Bikes I'd like something to replace them for anti-vehicle. Kommandos aren't terrible, sadly I can't take a Nob and Snikrot. I did read somewhere on the forums you could put a Boss in with Snikrot though, that'd be pretty devastating.

Leaning more the Kommando way, not a big fan of the anti-tank prowess of Koptas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the warboss and Snikrot issue is being talked about over on the main rules and the ork sections of this website.. its safe to say the two sides are well intrenched.

i will admit that i missed the fact your warboss was on a bike the first time i saw your list... if i had seen that i would have asked why? if you put hime in the unit of bikes everything that could shoot at them would.. ok so if the bikes turbo boost and get the cover save they can take alot of firepower... but they are just warbikes not nob bikers. if the enemy focus all the big gunz and killy stuff on them they will die and ya boss will be on his own.

the warboss on bike with warbike mob seems like an odd choice for a mostly foot slogging list like yours. i know you want to get some speed and firepower to get up into da face of the enemy and hurt them... but once they are gone the boyz will have an uphill slog to take objectives or hold there own.
    a big mek with kFF seem like a more logical choice.

of course every warboss has a differnt way of playin da boyz. it could work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

368 (x8)

Naw I was worried they'd never make it from the get go. Only gun light armies wouldn't reduce them to tatters and I'm not worried about them.

I saw the Snikrot arguement, I'm airing on the side of caution and scrapping the idea.

The way I see it, if I run Wagons I have to run 2. No way 1 Battlewagon ever makes it more than a turn, even with obscured. There's no other targets for big guns and the side armor isn't so hot. I also have no place to put my Warboss now, except in a Shoota Boyz unit which is a waste of his time.

The Kommandos are good, but I can't take Snikrot AND a Nob. Either I get the Powerklaw and no reliability, or 100% reliability and no tank busting prowess.

I'm mulling over taking 2 Wagons and 2 Bosses with 19 Boyz in them. There's not really another way, that I can think of, to deliver my Boss/es. A Mek doesn't really do much, Grots and the abundant cover all games have keeps everyone safe enough. I have thought about a SA gun, but just way to unreliable for my taste.

Bah, here's what I've changed after the suggested revisions.

Dropped the Warbikes and the Bike off the Boss. Dropped Rokkits from every unit. Bumped one Shoota Boyz unit down to 18+1 Nob with the usual. Dropped Grots to 19 and 1 Herder.

Picked up a Battlewagon with 1 Big Shoota, Deff Rolla, Grot Riggers and Armor Plates. 7 Kommandos w/ 2 Burnas+Snikrot.

I'm not very confident in the Battlewagons ability to reach against players who know how to deploy, but if it does it's worth it. I put the Warboss in there as I just really don't want him on foot. I gave the Wagon Plates, as it sitting there for a turn is very unappealing.

I decided I liked Snikrot better because Reserves+Random Table Edge is just to random for me. I can call a Waaagh the turn he shows up, so nothings really safe from his units reach. Not as good as Klaw in armor but he can do damage to AV 10 in CC.

The more I run over scary vehicles in my head the more I realize if I split my Lootas on either side of the board, they can crack AV12 sides easily. At least Shake it and buy me a turn. Lootas are possibly my favorite unit in the army.

Still not 100% on the Warbosses location. I'd like to keep him, S10 Klaw is just so useful. Thoughts?
    Last edited by EmoJosh; July 19th, 2009 at 23:07.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast