More refinement of the 2000 pointer - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

2000 points of balanced Tau

HQ

Shas'El
    Plasma, Missile Pod, Targeting array, HW multi tracker, HW Target lock HW Drone controller, Marker Drone 132pts

Plasma, Fusion blaster, stims, Targeting array, HW multi tracker, HW target lock, 112pts
    Bodyguard Plasma, Fusion blaster, Targeting array, HW Multi 82pts
    Team total 194pts

Elites

Deathrain squad
    1 x team leader with twin linked Missile Pod, Targeting array, HW Target lock
    1 X XV8 with twin linked Missile Pod, Targeting array
    116pts

Deathrain squad
    1 x team leader with twin linked Missile Pod, Targeting array, HW Target lock
    1 X XV8 with twin linked Missile Pod, Targeting array
    116pts

Torch squad
    1 x team leader with twin linked Flamer, Missile pod, HW Multi, HW Drone controller and 2 Gun Drones, BK
    2 x XV8's with twin linked Flamers, Missile Pod
    164pts

Troops

9 Fire Warriors one upgraded to Shas'Ui with Bonding Knife (will use Pathfinders Devilfish)
    105pts

9 Fire Warriors one upgraded to Shas'Ui with Bonding Knife (will use Pathfinders Devilfish)
    105pts

10 Kroot and 7 Kroot hounds
    112pts

10 Kroot and 7 Kroot hounds
    112pts

Fast attack

6 Pathfinders
    72pts

Devilfish with Disruption Pod, flechettes and multi
    105pts

6 Pathfinders
    72pts

Devilfish with Disruption Pod, flechettes and multi
    105pts

Heavy support

Hammerhead
    Railgun, Burst Cannons, Multi tracker and Disruption Pod
    165pts

Hammerhead
    Railgun, Burst Cannons, Multi tracker and Disruption Pod
    165pts

Skyray
    Burst cannons, Targeting array, Multi tracker and Disruption Pod, Blacksun filter
    160pts

2000pts

No more Stealth's. I love the little guys but they were used more and more for just the ML and they did very little damage themselves. Even though I face a fair bit of infantry type lists they were still not making their points back and I was using the Torch squad more and more in their place because the Torch squad is better at the job.

I also missed the Deathrains and wanted two units (as per my old list). I had points left and took a long hard look at the list. I like the Helios commander and wanted to give him some extra punch so I lost his ML Drone and gave him a Helios Bodyguard. Two high BS Fusions and Plasma is going to hurt anything I point them at. I do not like Plasma in elite slots but HQ level Plasma does not need ML support so can work unsupported. I gave the EL sims just to give him a bit better odds for survival.

I lost the ML drone on the Helios HQ and with the Stealth's gone this lost me two ML's. I like having the multiple ML units so I split the Pathfinder squads in to two units of 6 (a nice balance), OK they are not mobile but two units will cover a wide swath of the field and two units means they are harder to stop.

This list now has 8 Missile pods, 1 at BS5, 4 at BS4 twin linked and 3 at BS3. It has two Railguns (usually hitting at BS5) and the Seekers on the Skyray. It has 3 lots of Plasma (just to keep number6 happy) 2 at BS5 and 1 at BS4 and two Fusions at BS5 and one at BS4.

It has 15 Marker lights spread throughout 4 units 2 of these sources are mobile. The list has 10 XV8's and all but one unit are immune to the 50% non regroup rule.

It has 4 troops choices two of which are protected by Devilfish (the DF have multis so they can add their firepower even at full movement) and two Kroot units which can infiltrate or outflank and have good CC ability.

The Torch squad has been given another Gun Drone to add to its punch and to up the pinning chances, it lost the target lock because it was never used.

This list has pretty much all the bases covered. More the ample anti armour, ample anti infantry (ANY INFANTRY), heavy but not overpowering or compromising marker light presence, mobile units all round and a good number of vehicles.

Though the list worked nicely before I have noticed a shift towards more armour (IG & MEQ type lists) and I wanted to ease the balance back towards anti armour a little bit but it is still nearly as potent at anti infantry. I think this is a much better list and I think I am finally working towards and very close to my final 2000pts list.

What are the opinions on this updated list?

Last edited by Rikimaru; July 23rd, 2009 at 17:06. Reason: Because I can

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member MorbidlyObeseMonkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

Hmm... I like it.

The most notable changes I see are the Helios squad, the stealth team's removal, and the 2 PF squads. All good decisions in my opinion.
    - That helios squad looks excellent. 6 high STR, low AP shots with good accuracy will be devastating to anything. Looks like it'll be enemy priority number one, so protect it well. Do you think this is a viable way to take fireknives?
    - I rank stealth suits around where I rank vespids. Sure the stealth field is cute but there is no escaping the fact that they're 30 points for a T3 SV4+ wound. Glad to see you got rid of them. On a side note they are great fun to model. I have several where I painted them exactly like their surroundings, so they "blend" in with it.
    - One of my principles is to always take the same amount of pathfinder squads as fire warrior squads. That way the fish is always used to its full potential. Nice job there.

On the finer details of the list:
    - That one gun drone addition to the torch squad will benefit the survivability of the whole squad greatly, because it now needs to take 2 casualties before a morale check is forced. I assume that's the main reason why it was taken.
    - Multi-trackers on the devilfish are another excellent touch. I think a lot of people don't use it because they don't realise the burst cannon can fire along with the gun drones even while it moves at full speed.

All the changes made will help the list out I think. It is more balanced and better at dealing with mechanized forces. I can think of one thing to change. Replace the Shas'el Fireknife's marker drone and HWTL with 2 shield drones and a BK for the helios squad. As I said earlier, that squad will be enemy priority number one so the better protection might be worth it. It will however increase the footprint of the squad so it might be counter-productive. That marker drone I imagine equates to 2 ML tokens per game. Respectable, but I think the shield drones would be a better choice. Just some food for thought.

M.O.M.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by MorbidlyObeseMonkey View Post
    Hmm... I like it.

The most notable changes I see are the Helios squad, the stealth team's removal, and the 2 PF squads. All good decisions in my opinion.
    - That helios squad looks excellent. 6 high STR, low AP shots with good accuracy will be devastating to anything. Looks like it'll be enemy priority number one, so protect it well. Do you think this is a viable way to take fireknives?
    - I rank stealth suits around where I rank vespids. Sure the stealth field is cute but there is no escaping the fact that they're 30 points for a T3 SV4+ wound. Glad to see you got rid of them. On a side note they are great fun to model. I have several where I painted them exactly like their surroundings, so they "blend" in with it.
    - One of my principles is to always take the same amount of pathfinder squads as fire warrior squads. That way the fish is always used to its full potential. Nice job there.

On the finer details of the list:
    - That one gun drone addition to the torch squad will benefit the survivability of the whole squad greatly, because it now needs to take 2 casualties before a morale check is forced. I assume that's the main reason why it was taken.
    - Multi-trackers on the devilfish are another excellent touch. I think a lot of people don't use it because they don't realise the burst cannon can fire along with the gun drones even while it moves at full speed.

All the changes made will help the list out I think. It is more balanced and better at dealing with mechanized forces. I can think of one thing to change. Replace the Shas'el Fireknife's marker drone and HWTL with 2 shield drones and a BK for the helios squad. As I said earlier, that squad will be enemy priority number one so the better protection might be worth it. It will however increase the footprint of the squad so it might be counter-productive. That marker drone I imagine equates to 2 ML tokens per game. Respectable, but I think the shield drones would be a better choice. Just some food for thought.

M.O.M.
    Thanks for the feedback.

First! the Shas'Els. The Helios squad was basically needed to handle the annoying Deep strikes and other tough units like Nobs. I actually am planning on using it in a tiered defence; basically if something gets through the MP's and Railguns then this unit will handle them.
    I am actually relying on opponents treating the unit as a major threat and thinking they are vulnerable to draw the opponent into traps and also to draw attention from other less obvious but still dangerous units.

The Fireknife point you raised. I honestly think the bodyguard slot is the only place a viable FK squad can be taken. OK it is more expensive but if you take the EL with a TA and BG's with a TA and HW multi you get 2 BS5 and 4 BS4 Plasma and 2 BS5 and 4 BS4 MP's a turn at 12” and that is worth the cost.
    The only downsides are the fact the unit counts for two kill points (retinue and HQ) and the need for a BK (footprint) but to me that is not enough to put me of them if I wanted a good FK squad.

I like the unit but I prefer the Fusions for their insta kill ability and the ability to stop ANY vehicle. I will be using this unit with a unit of Kroot for protection and the Kroot will add some sizable punch.

My FK EL is primarily a ranged firepower unit, working at 24" to 36". The ML Drone works well and I average three hits a game with it. I Like the Drone because it is not restricted to lighting up the same unit as the El and it often goes unnoticed which allows me to draw nice angles on vehicles for a seeker strike or to give another Tau unit an ML boost on units that have been deployed to avoid the Pathfinders.
    I really am not fussed about shield Drones because I am quite good at combining units to remove target units and using JSJ and cover to protect them. I would rather have the firepower and ML's to maximise the offensive output.

The Torch squad: When I first included the Torch squad it had two Gun Drones for the casualty absorbtion and also the pinning. I lost one due to points constraints but this new list allowed me the points to give them back the extra Drone.

The Multi on the Devilfish is nice because it equates to 5 STR5 shots (which is not bad) and like you said I can fire all the weapons even when moving at 12". I never understand why players take a multi with SMS (in fact why bother with the SMS at all) because they are restricted to firing one weapon. I would have taken Flechettes as well but the points are not there (wondered about losing another FW but I think 10 is as small a team as I want to go)

I don't agree with you on the Stealth's if you use them properly (I/e forget the stealth field) they are a cracking little unit. However I was finding that they were getting less use as anti infantry with the inclusion of the Torch squad and the points could be used elsewhere to boost the anti armour. I did have enough anti armour but having more is always welcome especially with the swing I am seeing towards more and more Mech lists.

I honestly think this list is on a par (if not superior) to the massed FK and Piranha lists we keep seeing. I would be confident taking this list to any tournie.

Por'vre T'olku Shien
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

Riki, I regularly run 9-man FW units. I actually prefer 9 to any other potential squad number they can take. 9 is right on my "1-over a multiple of 4" rule of thumb, just enough to require 3 casualties to force a test, which is surprisingly difficult for incidental fire to accomplish. 18 shots is also quite enough for emergency fire purposes. The flechettes will likely serve you much better in the end then that last warrior.
    I fight for the Greater Good. Too bad for you it's MY Greater Good.

Snow Forces of T'olku W/L/D : 3-4-2... I like to think I'm learning, though.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by PsyBomb View Post
    Riki, I regularly run 9-man FW units. I actually prefer 9 to any other potential squad number they can take. 9 is right on my "1-over a multiple of 4" rule of thumb, just enough to require 3 casualties to force a test, which is surprisingly difficult for incidental fire to accomplish. 18 shots is also quite enough for emergency fire purposes. The flechettes will likely serve you much better in the end then that last warrior.
    Yeah that is actually a good point, you need to lose the same amount to trigger any tests in a 9 man sqaud as a 10. I like having the Flechettes because plonking a unit of FW's in a DF near an objective means any unit trying to attack the DF to get to the FW's risks taking wounds. I am making the change. Cheers

+ Reply to Thread