Need help with Tournament List! 1750pts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help with Tournament List! 1750pts

Hello!
    I've got a tournament coming up this weekend, and would like to bring my Orks. I'm not trying to make a cheesy list that will clobber my opponents in an endless wave of cheddar and mozzarella, but rather a good, competitive list that will not be wiped out turn one. This tournament (this Saturday at Dark Tower Games in Denville NJ) is 1750pts, with the missions taken directly from the rulebook. I don't have much experience in these missions or 5th edition in general, as my friends and I play 4th edition, and use modified versions of missions from the 3rd edition rulebook. Any ideas how this army will fare in 5th edition? Any and all comments + criticism appreciated - I only have a couple days to fix my army.

WAAAGH!! Bork
    1750pts

-Warboss- 100pts

Power klaw, slugga, ‘eavy armor, cybork body.

-Nobs- 320pts

8 Nobs, 2 Klaws, 5 big choppas. eavy armor, Waaagh! banner, Painboy.
    -Trukk- 40pts
    Red Paint Job
    -Tankbustas- 130
    -8 Tank Bustas, 2 Tankhammers, 2 Bomb Squigs

-Ork Boyz- 195

25 Sluggas with big shoota. Nob with power klaw, bosspole.
    -Ork Boyz- 195
    -Ork Boyz- 190
    25 Sluggas. Nob with power klaw, bosspole.
    -Ork Boyz- 190
    -Ork Boyz- 170
    20 Shootas with 2 big shootas. Nob with power klaw, bosspole.
    -Gretchin- 40
    10 Grots, 1 Runtherd

-Killa Kan- 45
    Kan with Grotzooka
    -Battlewagon- 135
    Red paint job, grot riggers, armor plates, stickbomb chuckka, 4 big shootas.

DA PLAN:

1. DA SLUGGA BOYZ AND KILLA KAN WAAAGH FOWARD AND KRUMP DA ‘UMIES.
    2. DA GROTZ AND SHOOTA BOYZ TAKE DA OBJEKTIVES.
    3. DA TANKBUSTAS STEAL DA TRUKK FROM DA NOBS AND GO BIG GAME HUNTIN.
    4. DA BOSS AN ‘IS NOBZ PILE INTO BORKS BONEKRUSHA AN LOOK FO DA STRONGEST ‘UMIE MOB....AN KRUMP EM!!

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as rules go, you should be okay, as not many changes affect the list you have. It's fairly quick to pick up. As far as the list goes, you defianetly won't be wiped out in turn 1...

-Warboss- 100pts
    Good base, not much else needed.

-Nobs- 320pts

I run the same, with 7 Nobz, it is effective, and since a couple will die, you aren't wasting 25 points extra per model, and can remove the cheaper big choppas (still S7 on the charge mind you) before the invaluable klaws. Another idea; might want cybork instead of heavy armor because of the invulnerable save. Sure 4+ is good, but invulnerable 5+ is better (especially coupled with feel no pain- which is a 4+ save AFTER your 5+ invul... invul also helps against insta kill weapons).

-Trukk- 40pts
    Red Paint Job

Eh... not much to say here, but i've found grot riggers to be more useful than red paint, but it's preference. 13" and harder to hit, or a chance to move after being immobilized. Since the first turn it's going to sit still while units disembark/embark i would suggest the riggers for your 5 points.

-Tankbustas- 130
    Consider dropping the Trukk entirely and getting a looted wagon for the points. If you need, drop this to 7 (will still require 2 to die to take a morale check) to upgrade the Looted wagon. Put your nobz in the battlewagon to start to avoid shuffling.

-Ork Boyz- 195

-Ork Boyz- 195
    -Ork Boyz- 190
    -Ork Boyz- 190
    -Ork Boyz- 170
    -Gretchin- 40
    10 Grots, 1 Runtherd
    All good. I'd be the guy to have 5 squads of 24... but i like even #'d squads Grots to hold an objective is good, but make sure they have support as deep strike is now common in 5th, and well, they won't hold long against a unit of... anything.

-Killa Kan- 45
    Kan with Grotzooka
    By itself might be a big target, but they are defianetly effective killing machines.

-Battlewagon- 135
    Red paint job, grot riggers, armor plates, stickbomb chuckka, 4 big shootas.
    Think about giving this 'ard case if used to transport your 450 point unit of nobz and warboss... it will be worth the investment.

DA PLAN:

1. DA SLUGGA BOYZ AND KILLA KAN WAAAGH FOWARD AND KRUMP DA ‘UMIES.
    Sure. Makes sense.
    2. DA GROTZ AND SHOOTA BOYZ TAKE DA OBJEKTIVES.
    Yeah, use grotz told hold home objective, swarm with you slugga and choppas, then mop up with shootas.
    3. DA TANKBUSTAS STEAL DA TRUKK FROM DA NOBS AND GO BIG GAME HUNTIN.
    Ergh... read above a few suggestions.
    4. DA BOSS AN ‘IS NOBZ PILE INTO BORKS BONEKRUSHA AN LOOK FO DA STRONGEST ‘UMIE MOB....AN KRUMP EM!!
    It works, but don't make them dance the first turn, move them towards the enemy, start them in the battlewagon.

I'm no expert... but these are just a few ideas to toss around.

Lord Dnigh
    www.lorddnigh.com

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Anthrax1432 View Post

WAAAGH!! Bork
    1750pts

-Warboss- 100pts

He's good. Remember a Pistol counts as a CC weapon so he can attack with it instead of his PK. Sometimes that can be very useful.

-Nobs- 320pts

-Trukk- 40pts
    Red Paint Job

Drop the Red Paint for a Reinforced Ram. It lets you ram other vehicles, very useful with the Mech armies now. You can also zoom through terrain with no worries, Immobilizing yourself can really hurt, leaving your Nobz stranded. I'd drop the Armor for Cyborks as well. I'd also think about a Bosspole, if this unit runs you're screwed.

-Tankbustas- 130

There's a lot of reasons NOT to run these. If you read their rules carefully, a smart opponent can dictate what they do and what they shoot. Bombsquigs aren't amazing and Tankhammer won't get into CC very often, and will usually hit on 4's at the very best. I'd replace these with either Buggies with TL Rokkits or Outflanking Deff Koptas with TL Rokkits. A lot of people don't run Extra Armor anymore, so you can Stun or Immobilize than finish it off with a PK.

-Ork Boyz- 195

-Ork Boyz- 195
    -Ork Boyz- 190
    -Ork Boyz- 190
    -Ork Boyz- 170
    -Gretchin- 40
    10 Grots, 1 Runtherd

Put 2 Big Shootas in all these squads if you can. They hit decently, have good range and are cheap. I'd also think of changing all your Boyz to Shootas. They're the best on foot because you can shoot as you charge up, or Run as your discretion. They can also sit on an Objective and shoot, where Sluggas can't. You only lose 1A but can really soften things up before you charge. 2 shots a model than charging works out to about the same as 1A, maybe even better. Also up the Grotz to 15-19 or they will run, they use their numbers to re-roll their Ld via the Herder.

-Killa Kan- 45
    Kan with Grotzooka

I'd prolly drop this. It's a good gun, but it's all by itself. You may think it'll pull guns off your Trukk or Wagon, but it won't. They'll ignore it until T3ish and than easily destroy it.

-Battlewagon- 135
    Red paint job, grot riggers, armor plates, stickbomb chuckka, 4 big shootas.[B]

I'd use this for your Nobz and Warboss. It's a reliable T2 charge, it's the best armor you can get and will attract a lot of attention. A Trukk just shouldn't be trusted to to deliver such a powerful unit. I'd drop the RPJ, 3 of the Big Shootas and add a Deff Rolla. Than you can run back and forth 12" crushing stuff until they're forced to stop your Wagon.
    Dropping the Trukk, Killa Kan and Tank Bustas will give you the points for 4 Buggies. They're a lot better against most opponents than Tank Bustas, especially when you're trying to soften some MCs.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the help so far!
    I've revised my list- I dropped the tankbustas, Trukk, and Killa Kan, and with the extra points, I added in special weapons to my Mobs, made my Grot mob bigger, added 3 rokkit buggies, and redesigned my battlewagon. Heres the new list:

WAAAGH!! Bork

-Warboss- 100pts
    Power Klaw, Slugga, Choppa, ‘eavy Armor, Cybork Body.

-Nobs- 320pts
    8 Nobs, 2 Klaws, 5 Big Choppas. Cybork Bodies, Waaagh! Banner, Painboy.
    -Dedicated Transport: Battlewagon- 135
    Red paint job, grot riggers, armor plates, Deff Rolla, 1 big shootas.

-Ork Boyz- 200
    25 Sluggas with 2 big shootas. Nob with power klaw, bosspole.
    -Ork Boyz- 222
    27 Sluggas with 2 Rokkits. Nob with power klaw, bosspole.
    -Ork Boyz- 222
    -Ork Boyz- 222
    -Ork Boyz- 170
    -Gretchin- 52
    14 Grots, 1 Runtherd

-Warbuggy- 35

Twin Linked Rokkit Launcha
    -Warbuggy- 35
    -Warbuggy- 35

What do you think of this revised list?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Anthrax1432 View Post
    WAAAGH!! Bork

-Warboss- 100pts
    Power Klaw, Slugga, Choppa, ‘eavy Armor, Cybork Body.

Still looks good.

-Nobs- 320pts
    8 Nobs, 2 Klaws, 5 Big Choppas. Cybork Bodies, Waaagh! Banner, Painboy.
    -Dedicated Transport: Battlewagon- 135
    Red paint job, grot riggers, armor plates, Deff Rolla, 1 big shootas.

Good unit here. It's to bad they can't be Troops, as if they were your BW, the Nobz and the Warboss could be deployed in DoW. Oh well. Otherwise it's all good, drop the Paint job if you ever need points for something.

-Ork Boyz- 200
    25 Sluggas with 2 big shootas. Nob with power klaw, bosspole.
    -Ork Boyz- 222
    -Ork Boyz- 222
    -Ork Boyz- 222
    -Ork Boyz- 170
    -Gretchin- 52
    14 Grots, 1 Runtherd

I might pump the extra Boyz int the 27 model mobs into the 20 Boy mob. If they're all equal sizes it's harder to decide what to shoot. I'd advise against non-TL Rokkits, as they're rarely going to hit. If you go Rokkits, go all Rokkits. Everything counts in numbers. ;]

About the all Shoota Boyz thing, try and prxy them in a friendly game if you don't have the models. They can be very effective and put out frightening numbers of S4 shots and still charge well with a PK in there.

-Warbuggy- 35

-Warbuggy- 35
    -Warbuggy- 35

These are all good. Very cheap, small so models can actually give them cover and very fast.
    Looks a lot better overall. :]
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good list. One big glaring problem. One vehicle.

Ouch. I would maybe drop the nobz down to 6-7. Those warbuggies can be dispatched quickly by heavy bolters and the like, so split them in 3 squads. At least then they might stick around.

Drop the boyz squads back down to 25, and with those savings add in some kind of secondary target or that battlewagon is going to be fried after one move, and those nobz will have to slog it. But then again, you may be lucky. Just an observation.

Also, though tankbustas get a bad rep, i guarentee they are fun against imp guard armored, most eldar, marines, and tau.

Lord Dnigh
    www.lorddnigh.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cant figure out how to quote... But anyways,

Prince of Excess: (in reference to Nobs)
    "Good unit here. It's to bad they can't be Troops, as if they were your BW, the Nobz and the Warboss could be deployed in DoW. Oh well. Otherwise it's all good, drop the Paint job if you ever need points for something."

-Do you think I should try and squeeze Ghazghkull in there to make the Nobs Troops? (as well as for the added krumpin' abilities of the bloodthirsty monstrosity of an ork)

To include Ghazghkull and make make my Nobs Troops I could:
    -Drop 1 Slugga, the gretchin squad(No slots left), 1 Nob, and 1
    Warbuggy,and replace my Warboss with Ghazghkull

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With just a standard WB you can make those Nobz troops.. you just need to clear a slot open since you have all 6 filled. Ghazhkull is only worth it if you can get him across the field alive, and since your battlewagon is already the only big target, adding ghazhkull to it only makes it that much bigger and that much deader. Don't sacrafice too much for him. Just my two cents.

Lord Dnigh
    Lord Dnigh's Armies...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

368 (x8)

If ,hypothetically, you did use Ghazghkull, I'd go all on foot. His Waaaagh favors foot slogging and he's protected with a large unit.

There's nothing wrong with the list at the moment. The Battlewagon can be put in Reserve if need be until you deal with some guns, or it can be run up a route with cover for the obscured save. Will it always make it? Of course not, not even an all Mech list always makes it.

If you wanted to make the Nobz Troops, just bump the 4 Boyz units you have up to max size, or maybe drop the Gretchin. Gretchin usually sit on an objective or try to Run a lot and stay in front for cover. It' really not a problem for the Nobz to be Elites, I dunno if they'd survive to many games anyways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LordDnigh View Post
    With just a standard WB you can make those Nobz troops.. you just need to clear a slot open since you have all 6 filled. Ghazhkull is only worth it if you can get him across the field alive, and since your battlewagon is already the only big target, adding ghazhkull to it only makes it that much bigger and that much deader. Don't sacrafice too much for him. Just my two cents.

Lord Dnigh
    Lord Dnigh's Armies...
    Thanks, didn't see that.

Well if thats the case, how about:

Drop: Gretchin Squad, 1 Nob, 1 Slugga
    Add: 2 Killa Kanz with Grotzookas, make Nobs into Troops

-With two Kans in seperate units, there are more targets for enemy AT, so hopefully my battlewagon can reach the enemy lines. Also, from what i've seen, grotzooka kans are great! every game they kill at least double their pts.
    -The Gretchin were going to get owned anyways. A simple mortar barrage or a volley of lasguns would wipe them out. I think giving the Nobs the ability to take objectives and deploy in DoW is much more valuable

I really appreciate all this input, Thanks!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast