Strong 1000pt mech list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strong 1000pt mech list

So Here's my newest mech list that I'd like some criticism on:

Seer, bike, fortune, doom, stones -150
    4 locks, 3 destructor, 1 embolden, bikes -215

6 Guardian bikes, 2 cannons -152

5 Dire avengers -60
    Serpent, Bright Lances, Cannon -145

7 Banshees, Exarch, Executioner, Warshout -123
    Serpent, EML, ss, cannon -140

Total: 1001

The idea is to have the seer council and banshees work together, they move flat out and try to get into position to assault turn two, farseer dooms target, and it hits the floor. The Dire Avenger serpent aims for high armor threats which I figure will be low, but present. The Banshees serpent at one point will be splitting from them to contest an objective when it seems necessary. The guardian bikes run back and forth along the back edge or up and down the sidelines looking for rear shots at tanks, and moving at the end to hold my objective.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Speed; August 13th, 2009 at 18:49.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

I really do not see how this is a strong list. Any decent long-randed army will outgun you with ease. And what will you do against a LR or anything above AV 11?

maybe sub squad of banshees for fire dragons and you will have a very good shot
    if you keep banshees, than acrobatic is generally much much better than warshout to have.
    8 dire avengers with no exarch with bladestorm will also underperform imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the TL brightlance for the odd guy who takes a LR in 1000 points, and then I have a foruned seer council, and banshee tag team to take out firebases like heavy weapons teams and the like. Also against vehicles a witchblade is STR 9. If need be, I can hide my council behind the serpent with banshees and fortune the serpent when they all move fast together.. It should survive till combat even from heavy tank armies.

Would you have me upgrade to bright lances on the second serpent? even though it will move every other turn? And I really think this AT would be awful in a 1500 point game.. but do you really think so in 1000? I've not met one person in any of the local clubs playing armored company, and even still, I think I could fair competitively in an objective game.

Edit: Fire dragons? in 1000 pts? seriously who do you play? and if you're gunning for the monoliths I don't see why. Phase out is almost simple if they used one in 1000... 8 DA is not what I really wanted at all.. but it's better than some storm guardians in my opinion. And if I use them to take out a softened unit from anything else, they'll do their job. I haven't tested warshout or acrobatics yet, I'm just looking at options right now and testing that one first because I've heard many places that acrobatics is terribly useless. I'll give it a go in one of these games though
    Last edited by Speed; August 13th, 2009 at 18:19.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x2)

my comments are my color

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Seer, bike, fortune, doom, stones -150
    4 locks, 3 destructor, 1 embolden, bikes -215
    depending on what other changes you make to the list, either add in enchance if there's a spare 15 points, or drop 1 destructor for enhance. The boost in your initiative and WS will hurt the enemy much more than a destructor.

6 Guardian bikes, 2 cannons -152
    split this into 2 squads of 3, it's the same firepower, it'll make the opponent redirect to 2 squads instead of 1, plus now you have an additional objective holding unit.

8 Dire avengers -96
    Serpent, Bright Lances, Cannon -145
    this squad really doesnt have much power for a need to be over 5. If you're going to use this for only objectives and stay in the Serpent, just take this squad down to 5 man. If you planned on this squad putting out some action, bump them to 10, give them an exarch with bladestorm and duel DAs.

6 Banshees, Exarch, Triskele, Warshout -118
    Serpent, scatter laser, ss -125
    drop the triskele, upgrade to an executioner if you fairly run more against marines, or mirrorswords if you tend to run against lower toughness armies. Drop warshout. Depending on the other changes you've made to the list, upgrade the scatter laser to a EML, you should have the points just with dropping warshout alone.
    5th E Sand(Grey) Knights: 11-3 (retired) 5th E Eldar: 37-4 (retired) 5th E Wolves 5-0

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I have the TL brightlance for the odd guy who takes a LR in 1000 points, and then I have a foruned seer council, and banshee tag team to take out firebases like heavy weapons teams and the like. Also against vehicles a witchblade is STR 9. If need be, I can hide my council behind the serpent with banshees and fortune the serpent when they all move fast together.. It should survive till combat even from heavy tank armies.

Would you have me upgrade to bright lances on the second serpent? even though it will move every other turn? And I really think this AT would be awful in a 1500 point game.. but do you really think so in 1000? I've not met one person in any of the local clubs playing armored company, and even still, I think I could fair competitively in an objective game.
    But you have only one fortune to go around, if you fortune your serpent, your council will take some punishment, 3+/4+ is not something i would rely on in such an expensive unit, they would die to sheer volume of attacks.

I think you lack long ranged AT, I come from about 3 years playing witch hunters so ranged AT is important for me... its like a reflex.. FIRE ZE EXORCIST!... see.. reflex!

One note on banshees: triskele is sub-par, you would rather fleet than use it, and mirror swords or even an executioner are better, they improve something the unit is already exceling at, making it really good at what they do.. chop mon-kei to pieces.

If i was fighting your force, i would first kill non-fortuned unit, than direct long range on next non-fortuned, seer council being the prefference #1 followed by banshees, while my transports would make their way to objectives etc.

For dragons comment - most commonly i play mech marines 9loyalists or chaos, mech IG.
    Last edited by WhiteRussian; August 13th, 2009 at 18:31.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

enhance does not out preform an extra destructor until the unit hits about 7 warlocks.. otherwise its better to just take the pre combat wounds.

Three man bikes DROP DEAD. they loose one and run. that's how the game goes for eldar bikers. I have them in 6 because it can survive the whole came and hold my objective in the end. nothing amazing about them, except that they play their role.

I will drop the three DA's for some upgrades elsewhere... but I guess that's cause a job doable by 8 DA's with no exarch could probably be done by 5 anyways. I'd love to bump them to ten and often play that way, but this is a lower points list for a couple of friends with small forces and so I don't really have the points for them.

I haven't done much with EML's and have focussed more on scatterlasers, starcannons, and BL's, but that does help to appeal to white russians need for more anti tank. I'll try that, and I wasn't sure of the triskele, It seemed pretty viable with assault 3 ap 2 but I'll switch it out for the executioner. Warshout is definitely a keeper for the first few games though, based on the fact that it's not only a board game but a mind game as well, and if it works once, then mistakes on the enemies end will be made to try to avoid it. Not that much on paper, but depending on the opponent, it can certainly be handy.
    ----------
    ok.. well firstly the fire dragons are completely unnecessary, because I don't play uber tank armies, and even mech marines arn't that scary with Str 6 weapons, their weaker ones will pop. And I was ONLY suggesting fortuning the serpent IF the seer council was hidden behind it and couldn't be gotten do (deep strike etc).. changing the triskele, and seriously, would you think I'd leave the council that much in harms way? plus shooting the serpent with SS is no easy task if it just moved fast. So I don't see where you're coming from about popping it so easily. I guess if you're hitting it with a melta or something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x2)

Jetbikes get a 6" assault phase move if they don't turbo boost. With the bikes you should play hide and seek. Move out of cover, shoot, move back behind. That's how you dont die easily.

Destructor may get you an extra kill if you're lucky, but enchance will keep possible wounds off your models. Right now you're going simo with a marine, he can kill you at the same time you kill him, with a higher initiative you have the possibility of killing you before the opponent gets their attacks back which can save your models against horde and non alike.

If you're only doing jff games though, than dont worry about splitting the squad. My advice on this mainly appeals to playing missions where more troops will benefit you.
    5th E Sand(Grey) Knights: 11-3 (retired) 5th E Eldar: 37-4 (retired) 5th E Wolves 5-0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see your point on destructor and enhance, but you're looking at only the meq, against hordes it's much more useful to spray another heavy flamer. I may end up switching to enhance.. but right now I see no reason to. those three man jetbike squads arn't how I play. So for you they may be competitive. But I don't go to wipe out my opponent only win. in a four objective game, I aim to hold two and contest one. I have two troops choices so that's fine. and the same goes for every type. You only have to win by 1.. and so I don't need 3 troops choices. additionally keeping them together makes them much stronger. Groups of three will get hit. I don't care if you pack them behind cover, most every army has a way of getting to them. A group of six, however, can take a hit. That's the difference.

+ Reply to Thread