Combat Patrol (400p) - Semi Competative - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Combat Patrol (400p) - Semi Competative

So I'm thinking of making a Combat Patrol list, for this I will need to purchase some units. My question is if you think it might do well or if there are any flaws to it.

10 Guardians with E.M.L.
    6 Striking Scorpions
    1 Vyper with 2 Shuricannons
    1 Vyper with 2 Shuricannons
    1 War Walker with 2 Shuricannons
    1 War Walker with 2 Shuricannons

My plan is to use the Vypers to harass my opponents, making vehicles worry about their rear armour and picking off infantry. The War Walkers are mainly just for picking off infantry and supporting my own infantry. The Guardians will probably hang back as much as possibly and use plasma missiles to kill infantry and pin my opponents, or possibly taking down a tank I want gone fast and don't want to take my time to move around with the Vypers. The Scorpions are also mainly there to support my Guardians, protect them against assaults and in general act tough and utilize their 3+ save to annoy my opponent.

Problems I know about: The Vypers are less cost effective than Walkers, and probably not the best choice ever, but I love the Vyper models and would like to add some mobility to my list. The list isn't very combat patrol-y either, I could change this by taking Rangers/Pathfinders instead of Guardians, but I think this would be a worse choice and I don't own any Rangers (yet). My army is Biel-Tan themed, and apart from my Scorpions there isn't much if what Biel-Tan represent in this list, which is probably my largest gripe.

I still don't own any Vypers or War Walkers (and at 25$ a pop I'm not too happy about buying them, paying 100$ for 200 points seems a bit steep.). I don't have that many aspect warriors yet, but I plan on increasing this in the future. Still, I feel that the Walkers and Vypers will do me better than 200 points of aspect warriors in Combat Patrol games. And I would like Walkers for my normal games too. I'd like to have a good chance of winning with my list, but I don't want people to think I'm a powergaming asshat either (also a reason for the Vypers instead of more Walkers).

So, what do you think? Does it stand a chance? Will people not want to play me with this list? Can it be improved upon? Is there a nice way to make it more Biel-Tan? Is there a nice way to make it more patrol-like?

The stuff I own right now that can be used in combat patrol is: Harleys(16), Scorpions(16), Guardian Defenders(40 ), Warp Spiders (5), Banshees (5), Wraithguard (5) and Reapers(6) and some Warlocks(3-ish).

I will be buying more Banshees with my next round of purchases, as well as a box of Fire Dragons, but I don't think either of these units will be suited for Combat Patrol scenarios.

Last edited by Inian; August 17th, 2009 at 22:38. Reason: removed lame smileys where I don't want em..

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

I think your list is alright, probably not the most powerful combat patrol list out there but definately potent. I'm not sure if the striking scorpions are necessary - the defenders can shoot on the run so at 400 points I don't think they really need something to protect them. I think you would be better off just taking another squad of guardians with an EML, especially since the scorps won't be infiltrating or outflanking. Getting an extra plasma/crack missile off each turn would be really useful. Pinning anything in a 400 point battle is very useful - you will be reducing their firepower at least by 1/4.

The vypers I am also unsure of, you are paying 20 more points than the warwalkers and I don't think you gain much. Sure you can get side/rear armour shots, but I can't really think of any tanks outside of the tau devilfish and IG chimera that have higher front armour than side armour with combat patrol rules. Plus with the warwalkers you can use your scout move to get in good firing position right away. However, if you really like the vyper models then go for it - you aren't really loosing much by taking them over the walkers.

I don't think people will decide not to play you with this list. The combat patrol rules were created to get rid of all of the really cheesy things you can do at 400 points so I think everything else is fair game. As for beil-tan I don't think lots of aspect warriors is good for combat patrol, imagine how a couple squads of DAs would do against the guardian list.. they would get shot to pieces, there is just too much room to maneuver.

Heres what I think is the best eldar list for combat patrol, although I'm sure others have different views:

10 Guardians - EML

10 Guardians - EML

2 Warwalkers - 2x SC

1 Warwalker - 2x Scatter Laser

1 Warwalker - 2x Scatter Laser

The scatter walkers stay back and shoot. They are also used to assault anything that is threatening the guardians and is S3 as anything S3 or lower cannot hurt them. This is why they are split up, so you don't loose both of their shooting if you assault. The other two walkers try to stay in the middle of the battlefield to keep the enemy on its own side. The guardians pound away with missiles the entire battle.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by cheart; August 18th, 2009 at 00:30.
    Army: W/L/D -- Eldar 6/2/2; Orks 1/3/0; BA 1/1/0

The Tale of Two Gamers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Hey, thanks for the feedback.

I just realized this morning that I can't move my Vypers more than 6" and still fire both weapons, which kind of neutralizes my plan of having them zoom around and shooting. Still I can probably use a turn to move them 24" and get them nicely positioned, but I'm actually leaning more towards giving them an EML instead and dropping the Shuricannon Upgrade, that way I can move 12" and still fire and the EML won't be as harmed by BS3 as other weapons are. This will cost me 5 points more per model though removing my option of a second Guardian/EML squad or forcing me to remove a Scorpion reducing their usefulness even further. Another option is giving them a Scatter Laser, I get less shots but the points are still the same and I can still use the TL Shuripults on occasion to increase my total shots.

Even though they are more costly and a worse choice I'm leaning towards taking them to spice up my list instead of doing the popular thing and taking Walkers instead.

I know the Scorpions aren't that great, in fact most aspect warriors are not that great for Combat Patrol, but I want at least one unit that reflects Biel-Tan and those were the best choice I could think of.

Your list would kick my list all around Utah though, but I don't expect to face any uberlists so I think I'll manage without the absolute best choices out there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

Good for you to stick with the theme, and best of luck with your list!
    Army: W/L/D -- Eldar 6/2/2; Orks 1/3/0; BA 1/1/0

The Tale of Two Gamers

+ Reply to Thread