1750pts first BIG tourney. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which army is best?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Army list 1

2 28.57%
  • Army list 2

1 14.29%
  • Army list 3

0 0%
  • Army list 4

4 57.14%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x2)

1750pts first BIG tourney.

Ive just learned of a HUGE tournment coming up in my are, its 1750pts and starts in 2 weeks time. So i've scrambled together 4 army lists for you to have a look at. Tell me which one you prefer, what you like and if you can think of anything to improve any of the lists. This has to be a very good all comers list so ill take into account anything anybody says and ill give rep to anyone who comes up with a suggestion I use. Here they are:

List 1:
    Necron lord (res orb + VoD)
    10 Warriors
    10 Warriors
    10 Warriors
    10 Immortals
    5 Destroyers
    Monolith
    Monolith

List 2:
    Necron lord (res orb)
    10 Warriors
    10 Warriors
    10 Warriors
    10 Warriors
    10 Warriors
    Monolith
    Monolith
    Monolith

List 3:
    Necron Lord (Dbody, Wsythe, Pshifter)
    10 Warriors
    10 Warriors
    5 Destroyers
    5 Destroyers
    5 Destroyers
    Monolith
    Monolith

List 4:
    Necron Lord (res orb, phycalatery)
    10 Warriors
    10 Warriors
    10 Warriors
    10 Warriors
    4 Destroyers
    4 Destroyers
    Monolith
    Monolith

As you can see they all contain 2+ monoliths. This is because personally I think that monoliths are pretty much the ultimate all-comers vehicle.

Last edited by shas_on_u; August 22nd, 2009 at 12:46.
    Ye Old Necrons (R.I.P.) (7000pts) W52 D5 L9
    New Crons!!! (5000pts) W1 D1 L1
    Blood Angels (2500pts) W4 D0 L1

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

For a big tourney I think all the lists have some holes.

A. Troops. Bring at least 3 units of 10. At least. Troops are all important, and with lucky rolls you can frustrate your opponent with their longevity.

B. Lord. Orb is good, a must have. I also really like the item that let's you DS them every turn. I forget what it's called but you can use it to Rapid Fire Glance a vehicle, torrent a far off gun threat or snag an objective far away. So useful! Also ducks CC.

C. Monoliths. They are the ultimate all comer vehicle, only Tau and Demolishers can threaten them. I wouldn't take more than 2, they're a huge points sink which lowers your Troops and Phase Out! 2 let's them watch your flanks, help with additional WBB rolls and look intimidating.

D. Heavy Destroyers. I'd run a few. You need some Rhino poppers, Mech is the name of the game now. Since you can't mech, you have to crush mech. HDs are fast, with a Lascannon and will hurt transports flanks and rears. Than your Warriors can lay down the fire and finish them off. Regular Destroyers can threaten light armor too, but I like the bigger shots personally. A mix isn't bad either.

Once you've got that covered, if you have any points left (which you probably won't) than look at what you can add.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x2)

SO thats all good, but which list do you prefer? I haven't included heavy destroyers because i don't have any and won't have any when the tournement arrives. From everything else you said it seems list 1 fits the bill.

EDIT: Actually, from what you said about anti-tank, lots of warriors, monoliths list 4 seems the best
    (strength 10, 5 attacks, 2D6 armour pen will kill ANY tank)
    Last edited by shas_on_u; August 20th, 2009 at 20:38.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your going to take list 4,i suggest you take the Deceiver instead his alot better for the points,plus you can have a extra destroyer which could be a big decider in if you phase out or not,plus would make the destroyers last longer,since 5 is a golden number aslong 1 is alive standing.

Although personally i prefer list 2 monolith spam is necrons only really advantage these days...
    Epic Wheen!1!1!!1

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

I like list #4 since you need a c'tan to discourage all those assaulty armies from sweeping your necrons in cc (or at least make them think twice). But it seems like everyone is using the Deceiver if they use a c'tan at all in tournaments because 1) he's cheaper and 2) he can leave combats that are meant to tarpit him. Very useful, say, if you don't want to be stuck in combat with a 30-ork-boy mob.

However, without a res-orb lord, necrons die very quickly. IG's with a couple of Leman Russes will phase-out your army in no time. I would change 1 squad of 10x warriors + the Nightbringer for:

Deceiver (if you have the model, if not then keep the NB )
    Necron Lord - Phase Shifter, Res Orb - 170
    +1 Destroyer (to get 2x3 Destroyers)
    +1 Warrior

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

I wouldn't take a Deceiver or Nightbringer. It's a huge points sink that has to chase people around and doesn't add to Phase Out or Troops. He's very attractive but I treay him like a Monolith. I'd either take Monolith and 1 C'Tan or 2 Monoliths. I prefer 2 Monoliths for the WBB, Ordnance and the raw ability to never die.

A C'Tan is easier to drop than he seems. T8 prevents torrenting but Snipers or concentrated S7~ fire works and it's largely wasted against your other units. Yeah he can discourage CCs but he can only stop one unit, your best bet is to use the Monoliths and a Lord with the DS Wargear to prevent CC. Just put those guys out front and if they ignore them, Rapid Fire them into the ground.

C'Tan can work, I'm just not a personal fan because they aren't as big a threat as they look on paper.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

list one but i would say get rid of one unit of necrons and get a unit of 6 or so flayed ones (not sure if my math is right, don't have codex or calculator on me) and while they focus fire on the big scary nightbringer deep strike the flayed ones down behind they're ranks and kill terminators/chaos terminators/vehicles/HQ, etc. and also get necrons at a safe distance and fire at the enemy. also keep a unit of necrons in reserve for lith. keep those big boys firering they're matrix at the enemy. after about 3-4 turns of this they will crumble before the MIGHT OF THE NECRONS. MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Good luck and hope you do well in the tournament
    Last edited by Nagash777; August 21st, 2009 at 23:51. Reason: sorry forgot about which list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

Nagash777, I must question the wisdom behind using flayed ones to assault Terminators. Without the ability to punch through armor, and only getting twice as many attacks as the terminators, Flayed Ones are a very bad choice to be fighting such a tough, hard hitting unit. If you're going to DS assault units, hit their shooting units instead (flayed ones can deal with vehicles if you upgrade them, notably). If 6 flayed ones don't kill a unit, they can potentially tie it up for a good while, though DSing is a tad dangerous for them, the extra round of sitting there to get shot is NOT healthy.

Shas, I find your fluxuation of warrior units a bit disturbing. As it's a 1750 list, between 3-4 squads of 10 is where you should want to be, especially in a tournament.
    I support the use of two monoliths at this level, as having a pair of them means the opponent needs that much more firepower to take them down. And if one falls, you have backup.
    For HQ, an Orb Lord is going to be the most reliable as you're fielding a Phalanx army. On destroyers, 2 squads of 4 may be your best bet (or two squads of 5 if you prefer).

List 4 is your best starting point. If you were to drop the Nightbringer for an gaze/orblord and another 4 destroyers I'd say that's what you're going to get the furthest with.

Best of luck with your tourney!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

List 1 for I will duly represent,

It has all of the necessities a necron army needs, firepower lots of men and big concentrated bangs of gauss.

I Don't believe in taking the C'tan in 1500 points due to, as previously said the points sink and how many other necrons you could get (immortals destroyers).

List two- three monoliths isn't really necessary in 1500 points, though it would be quite a spectacle.

List three-- there is alot of destroyers which i am very fond of but I the lord is targeted, (which i predict he will) they will be largely unprotected by combat units such as assaut squads.

Anyway thats my opinion,

Good Luck at the tourney!
    Lucky Hats- Is there anything they can't do?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x2)

Ive considered all your replies and it seems everyone is either saying list 1 or list 4 but with a few changes ill give the lists a quick change and see how that helps.

At the moment im leaning towards list 4. The reason i origionally took a c'tan was because i expect there's going to be a few large tank based guard armies around and a c'tan eats any tank in the entire game for breakfast, and all guard tanks have 10AV in the rear so I would be doing 6 auto-penetrates.
    Last edited by shas_on_u; August 30th, 2009 at 20:13.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast