1500 pt Harlequin Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 pt Harlequin Army

My wife like's harlies, and she wants it to be somewhat competitive. What do you think?

Farseer, singing spear, Doom, Fortune, spirit stones

3 x Harlequins x 8, troupe master, shadowseer

2 x Dire Avengers x 9, exarch w/ catapult [assault 4 gun]

2 x Shining Spear x 3, exarch w/ withdraw

Dark Reapers x 5

Fire Dragons x 6, exarch, tank hunt, wave serpent w/ missile launch

She isn't much for mech, but I don't think she is completely against it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm should be quite interesting and fun to run an army like this... Not sure on effectiveness, but should be enjoyable at least.

Now these would be the basic changes i'd do, firstly remove the fire dragon exarch upgrade and tank hunter upgrade. Having a squad of 6 fire dragons should be more than enough to cope with any vehicle once in range. I'd also remove the dark reapers altogether as it is much harder to kill units with the changes of cover saves being so easily achieved by everyone in the latest edition.

Now personally i would make these changes added to that. Remove all the farseer upgrades except for fortune. Spend some of the extra points in a second fortuneseer, and have each of them joined to a harle squad constantly fortuning themselves. You may not be able to crack that much of a punch with doom taken away in CC, but survivability is much more crucial to them being so pricey (last thing you want is to wipe out a squad in CC and have no fortune to save you from relentless gunfire). But i'd come back to this in a sec.

The other problem is that at the start of the game, with the harle's not being able to be shot at with the veil of tears rule, it means that all of the gun fire will be targetted at the dire avengers and shining spears. The shining spears should be able to hold some of it with the turbo-boosting, but the dire avengers are crucial to winning a game that relies on objectives. With the remaining points left i'd purchase another wave serpent for one of the squads of dire avengers, and give it shuriken cannons, and deploy the other squad in cover (maybe even behind the wave serpent, depends on the scenario). Also i'd give the fire dragon wave serpent spirit stones as you'd want to dive bomb it into vehicles, and would need to guarantee that it can move when needed.

lastly, coming back to the harle's, with the remaining points left over i'd give the two squads with fortuneseers, all harlequin kisses (minus the troupe master of course). The third squad would need to be used tactically for support of one of the other harle units.

I don't have the codex directly infront of me, but i believe i've worked out the points correctly for all this to be done, if you decide to opt for it

But either way, it should be interesting on the results of how a harle army does

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen a couple of these lists around, and if I had money for more harlies, I'd totally buy my own haha, but lets work with this one.

One very effective thing to do in an army like this is make it all on foot. It takes a lot of getting used to, but it seems like you're almost all the way there already. Now how do you make effective heavy support on foot? get some bright lance and EML wraithlords. Leave your wraithlords and seer back in a defensive position, and they'll do the tank hunting/transport popping that you'll need.

Also, you can paint wraithlords to fit the harlie scheme very well, but that's up to you.

My personal opinion is that you should drop the DAs, fire dragons, reapers, and shinning spears for 2-3 wraithlords, two (or maybe three) squads of pathfinders, and get kisses and fusion pistols with the harlequins. The fusion pistols are absolutely fabulous, and the kisses are what make harlies devastating. But I'd encourage some playtesting with proxys before deciding on which list, because an all foot list is really only for people who like that sort of thing. It is quite a sight to see however, and not many people at all suspect it.

Although, before saying all that, I should have asked: how attached is she to those aspects? because if not too much, then my comment stands, but if she would really like to use whichever units, I'm sure there's a way to fit them in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey guys, great comments. How about something like this.

Switch to two fortune seers for two of the harlie squads. Drop the DR's and Fire Dragons and instead use the wraithlords for tank hunters. Switch the DA's to pathfinder squads (which would fluff nicely imo) and then on turn one, make sure they are in cover to prevent insta death from being the easiest targets. I have to find my book to check points, but that should account for all major issues the army might run into and also makes it full foot.

I do kinda miss those shining spears though .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The bike models are irresistable in my opinion. You'll want to have one farseer with guide back with the wraithlords, and I'd suggest having the one up front have doom and fortune and spirit stones. That way you can use him as both what you wanted, and what the comments seem to beg for.

If you can find the points for guide fortune and spirit stones on your fire base as well, you could fortune a unit that seems like it'll take a lot of fire (nearby pathfinders) and guide the wraithlord.

HOWEVER! let's before making any decisions look at another variation. This may require dropping a harlie squad, and one hq, but maybe trying a seer council, or autarch with shinning spears combo. I would like the council better (normally farseer, bike, ss, fortune, doom with 4-5 locks 1 embolden 1 enhance, and the rest destructor). The coolest part of that idea, is that it gives you the bikes you wanted, plus you could possibly do some painting/converting to make them like harlies, and it bascicly takes the place of the old squad. Not sure if there's enough points. But I've always wanted to see some nicely done harlie jetbikes like with the oop models they used to have.

If that list sounds interesting, then the easiest thing to do is cut a bunch of paper into circles and play a game without the models. See how it goes and if you like the stuff or not. Lots of fun all around in my opinion.

+ Reply to Thread