A newbies 1500 point army. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A newbies 1500 point army.

Very first post, but this place seems more helpful than other forums.

So, a little backstory, I've been playing 40k for about a month, and I normally play Black Templars. I can never stick to one thing for too long, it gets boring, so I'm trying to make a Tyranid list. I'm not familiar with all the rules yet, and I'm not sure what bio-morphs are best, so any advice would be appreciated. Also, I'm not really trying to power game here, just something that's fun and works. It's also no tquite finished, I'm a little over my points, I believe.

++HQ++

*Hive Tyrant*
    Tyrant x 1
    Rending Claws x 1
    Winged x 1
    Toxin Sacs x 1
    Twin-Linked Devourer x 1
    Warp Field x 1

Total = 203

++Troops++

*Genestealers*
    GS x 12
    Implant Attack x 12
    Feeder Tendrils x 12 = 12

Total = 240pts

*Spinegaunt*
    Spinegaunt x 20

Total = 100pts

*Spinegaunt*
    Spinegaunt x 20

Total = 100pts

++Fast Attack++

*Raveners*
    Ravener x 6
    Deathspitters x 6
    Scything + Rending Claws x 6

Total = 246

*Warrior Brood*
    Warrior x 6 = 84
    Rending Claws x 6 = 36
    Scything Talons x 6 = 24

Total = 144

++Heavy Support++

*Zoanthropes*
    Zoanthrope x 3
    Synapse x 3
    Warp Blast x 3

Total = 195

*Carnifex*
    Fex x 1
    Bonded Exo-Skeleton x 1
    Enhanced Senses x 1
    Extended Carapace x 1
    Barbed Strangler x 1
    Venom Cannon x 1

Total = 193pts

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

Well considerig youve been playing 40k for about a month, yet have been playing nids for less, youve actually got a half decent list there.

So heres what you could do with changing

The tyrant looks like a classic build, but why rending? your much better off taking 2 TL devourers, to pump out 12 s5 re-roll to hit and wound shots a turn at Bs 4. lovley
    Also i think your points are out a bit, try this

tyrant, enhanced senses, toxin sacs, 2 Tl devourers wings and warp feild - 196

Genestealers

swap the implant attack for scuttlers, that gives you outflank and re-rolls. other than that, 12 is fine, but 8 will do if u want points spare

Raveners
    Dont take these. Theyre awful, costing over 40 points, but with a 5+ save. They just dont work most of the time. try this unit of hormaguants ive used to good effect with good resuts.

20 hormaguants - toxin sacs and WS adrenal gland - 260

Sniper fex

Swap bonded exoskeleton for re-inforced chitin, just makes it more survivable.

Warriors. if you can find the pionts, give them leaping, then run them with the hormaguants

Hope this helps you, welcome to LO and the nids
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cleaned up your list abit, and made some comments.

++HQ++

203p - Flyrant, RCx1, Wings, +S, TL-Dev. WF
    Rending on the tyrant is pretty superflous since it's a MC it can own vehicles without it and also ignores armorsaves against infantry anyways, so drop that for another Devourer.

++ELITES++

144p - 6x Warrior, RC, ST
    Turn these into 2x 3man squads or drop one or two and give them deathspitter, Toxin sacs and ST.

++TROOPS++

240p - 12x Genestealers, IA, FT
    Implant attack is pretty useless since it only applies to the model that has already taken a wound so only against multiple wound units wich really arent that many. Give them scuttlers instead so you can outflank with them otherweise they'll get gunned down before they reach their target. The tendrils are awesome. Extended Carapace on stealers is also a fantastic buy, it makes them live twice as long. Oh, and 8 can do the job of 12, you can also find points for 4 more and make 2 squads.

100p - 20x Spinegaunt, Spinefist
    Solid gauntscreen, turn them into 2 squads instead, so 2x10.

100p - 20x Spinegaunt, Spinefist
    See above.

++FAST ATTACK++

246p - 6x Ravener, 6xDS, 6xST+RC
    Raveners are NOT worth their points today, wich is sad because they're awesomely cool. Use these points to sure up another stealer squad and a carnifex.

++HEAVY SUPPORT++

195p - 3x Zoanthrope, SC, WB
    Solid, great synapse aura.

193p - Carnifex, +T, +Bs, +Sv, B.Strangler, VC
    Powerfull fex, it's more or less impossible to make a bad carnifex. You might not need the Toughness.

That's my opinion, i'm sure some will dissagree.
    Last edited by Gatstein; September 8th, 2009 at 22:26.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, I must be missing something, everyone's talking about Scuttlers like they're amazing, but from the way I understand it, it just allows them to move an extra 6" before the game starts...

Otherwise, thanks for all the help guys. I gave my Tyrant rending because....well, I didn't know Monstrous Creatures had their own rules for assaulting, never had to deal with one before so it never came up.

Also, you guys placed my warriors on both sides of the fence, one melee and the other ranged. How do these things perform best, or are they adequate at both roles?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

I feel this list could use a kick up in troops personally. dropping deathspitters off your ravenors and maybe the implant attacks from your stealers. (Can you even use both of those upgrades btw? I thought you could only have fleshhooks OR implant attack OR feeder tendrils?) either way, grab another squad of gaunts, or some hormagaunts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scuttlers grants your genestealers the 'Scout' special rule, that's true. But that in turn allows them to 'Outflank', read up on outflank and you'll see why people are so in love with scuttlers.

Also giving the warriors Scything Talons and Deathspitters is because deathspitters are awesome, and scything talons are teh cheapest second option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't feel bad if you haven't read about the outflank rule, or are even having problems finding it in the 5th ed book. I didn't know about it until someone else mentioned it, and even then I couldn't find it in the index, and had to have someone point out the page for me. Unfortunately I don't have my book on me or I would give you the page! It is just a tiny little box on a page I completely missed when reading through the new book.

Also, although fluff-wise it may seem like a good idea to mix and match CC and ranged weapons, in practice I've never really seen this work well. In order for a 'nid unit to perform to its fullest they should probably be specialized as either CC or ranged.
    Last edited by Khisanth Magus; September 8th, 2009 at 22:27.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Page 94

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatMango View Post
    Also, you guys placed my warriors on both sides of the fence, one melee and the other ranged. How do these things perform best, or are they adequate at both roles?
    Well as far as warriors are concerned they can do either, if you use the hormaguants squad instead of the raveners, leave them as is and add leaping then they make great partners, the warriors being able to keep up with them. Otherwise deathspitters are a great weapon, 6 S5 blasts are fun, and they are great for keeping the gribbiles in line. Other combinations are viable too, but deathspiters are most used

Also alzer is half right, you cant take combinations of acid maw, feeder tendrils and flesh hooks (so you can have 1 of the 3) but you can take feeder tendrils and Implants
    Last edited by Heirodule; September 8th, 2009 at 22:37.
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x6)

who needs blast templates when you have pieces of glupified jesus to shoot at people!

your carnifex is too many points i think:

how about this variant?

1x Carnifex
    1x Tusked
    2x Scything Talons
    1x Scything Tail
    121 points

very cheap and just as damn hard to kill as the next MC, give them reinforced chtin and hes a crazy monster whos cheap and very reproductive ,n if you want him as an elites choice, i would take off the tusked and not add the extended carapace.

now where did i park my car, looks at a carnifex ontop of a metal heap. MAX! damn you boy, get your ass off the car, you can't go for a ride in it! lol

thanks
    antique_nova
    Superior stamina may win battles, but the ability to quickly recover wins wars.

+ Reply to Thread