Experimental Army (2000pt) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Experimental Army (2000pt)

Hi guys, this is my first attemp to set up a formidable Tau army against wide range of armies (but focused on MEQs or lower: IG) so I welcome everyone to take a look and leave comments. This army is what I think is decently mobile and will provide good amounts of fire with decent accuracy (possibly 8 marker lights per turn with 50% hit ratio)
    Version 2 of epermental list with advise by Number 6
    HQ

Shas'El (BS-4)
    - Fire knife varient (plasma rifle, missile pod, and TA)
    - HW multi tracker
    - HW drone controller W/ 2 shield drones
    - 1Body Guard with same equipments except one less shield drone

Elite:
    /////////////////////////////////////////
    VX8 battlesuit (fireknife)
    -HW muti tracker
    - bonding knife
    -HW drone controller W/ 2 shield drones
    VX8 battlesuit (Death rain: TL-missile pod)
    -targeting array
    VX8 battlesuit (fireknife)
    -HW muti tracker
    - bonding knife
    -HW drone controller W/ 2 shield drones
    VX8 battlesuit (Death rain: TL-missile pod)
    -targeting array

Troops:
    //////////////////////////////////////// (mobile squad)
    12 Firewarriors with bonding knife and team leader upgrade
    //////////////////////////////////////// (mobile squad)
    12 Firewarriors with bonding knife and team leader upgrade
    -DEvilFish with disruption pod
    ////////////////////////////////////////
    10Krrots with 5 hounds

Fast Attack:
    8 Path finders with leader upgrade, target lock and bonding knife
    - Devil fish with disruption pod
    Piranha Skimmer (2 of them in seperate squad)
    -Fusion blaster
    -Disruption pod
    Flechette discharger

Heavy support:
    ///////////////////////////////////////
    3 VX88 broadsides with stabilisation upgrade
    - team leader upgrade for 5pt.
    -Bonding knife
    - [HW] drone condtroller W/ 2 shield Drone
    //////////////////////////////////////
    Hammer head with railgun, burstcannon, multi tracker, and disruption pod

//////////////////////////////////////
    Hammer head with railgun, burstcannon, multi tracker, and disruption pod

Total: 61 models

More mobile army than pervious static army, and have 30 points left for discussion. (perhapes seeker missiles?)

Last edited by MarneusCal; September 22nd, 2009 at 20:36. Reason: Army list revised for better performance

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

This isn't too bad.

You'll want a bonding knife on your XV88s. For only 5 pts, you can have a good chance of staying on the table, even if reduced down to just 1-2 of your suits.

I would drop the markerlight FW unit and exchange it for a unit of Kroot with Hounds. The ability to infiltrate a big counter-assault unit like this can be priceless. If nothing else, they make a nice speedbump to give your army more time to shoot. Never leave home without Kroot.

I would strongly recommend finding the points to get another couple of Crisis suits into the army as well. Your two units look OK so far: how about one more unit just like them? Crisis suits and the Tau HS choices are where the army puts out most of its real damage. You can't have enough of these things as a result.

I would strongly encourage you to get a pair of Piranhas in the army as well. You mentioned in your intro that you've read all the tacticas and such. If so, then you'll know why I think they're absolutely vital to keeping the enemy at a safe distance so you can go about the business of killing.

If you exchange the FWs and drop one unit of Pathfinders (but not their devilfish) you can easily find the points for all these changes. I think one unit of 8 Pathfinders will serve you well enough. You've got targeting arrays in most places, so mostly what you need markerlights for in this army is for removing cover saves on your desired target. 1 PF unit will be enough for that.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see, I may have focused too much on the markerlight which I focused on killing one squad at a time for sure (garanteeing BS-5 for all of my FW squad) and now I realize the danger of being either drop-pod assualt or the fast moving armies. So I will take Kroots (And they are cheaper I must say)

I'm not sure about the Pirahnas though, my friend did play it against me while playing with marines they seemed to be shot down by 1st turn from my side (I knew how annoying they were so I focused all lascannons into them...) but I see your point on why you should take them instead of another PF sqaud.

I'm not sure I would have enough Crisissuit group after these changes (let's see... 155pt plus the 116 pts for Pf squad... I might not able to get another crisis team for point wise. So Is pirahna important than crisis suit team on a long run? )
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ultramarines and Tau player

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

If you don't back up your piranhas with enough guns, the piranhas may not be worth it. But I don't know of any other way to actually keep the enemy at bay with something that you don't actually mind sacrificing if it comes to it. So if you don't take piranhas, how will you prevent yourself from getting smashed in the face? I don't think this army or Tau armies in general can actually outshoot many enemies. Nor are we fast enough to literally outrun many enemies. We are quick and nimble, but not "fast" per se. Piranhas are the only literally Fast thing we have. They are also the only unit -- along with Kroot -- that we can afford to sacrifice if we must. But never underestimate the power of 4+ saves to keep Piranhas alive and piss away all of an opponent's firepower.

I was also going to suggest as well that you trim upgrades from your suits. I run my 2000 pt army very stripped down to maximize firepower. (No targeting arrays, no drones except on Broadsides.) With Tau, I'm a firm believer that more is more, not less is more. Defensive measures are very expensive for Tau. You can usually get more guns for the same price. I prefer offense to defense. Hide suits so they don't get shot. Put Kroot and Piranhas in the enemy's face so that's what they have to focus on rather than your suits. Create a buffer/killing zone and don't let anything cross it without getting blocked, shot down, beat up, or all three at once.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm, I see your point of Targeting array. If I already have enough markerlight, and they have decent hit:miss ratios why not use that points for something else? (60 points and some drone will help me add another crisis suit I think)

Also I guess you prefere Pirahnas (and it does sound better: Tank-hunter skimmer)

Is there a recommendable number for Kroots? I'm thinking around 10~15 or some hounds plus the 10 Kroots (maybe shpaer upgrade?)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

I think 5 Hounds -- 100 pts total for the Kroot unit -- is the minimum requirement to make a decent clean-up/counter-assault unit out of Kroot. More Hounds will always be better, but 5 can be enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well my list is getting better =D, well one last question: I should fill out two Pirahnas seperately correct? I heard putting two together is not good (so far from reading the articles about them)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by MarneusCal View Post
    well my list is getting better =D, well one last question: I should fill out two Pirahnas seperately correct? I heard putting two together is not good (so far from reading the articles about them)
    The only time you should squadron piranhas is if you take more than two. Say you take 3, for example. Put 2 in a squadron and leave the 3rd independent. If you take 4 -- which is not uncommon for 2000 pt Tau tournament armies -- then you get two units of two piranhas each.

I think you can get by with just two, but I also think that more is usually helpful. As I said earlier, however, you need to back up those piranhas with guns. Lots and lots of guns, otherwise you won't get as much out of your piranha tactics as you might need.

Squadrons definitely have their downsides. But considering what you need piranhas for, it's not really a hardship for them. Just no reason to squadron if you don't have to. (Unless you're really worried about KPs, I suppose.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm, I have about 30 points left because I decided to get rid of seeker missile and one shield drone from the HQ squad. What should I do? (I'll post revised version up in a moment)

+ Reply to Thread