new nids player - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new nids player

Knight of Goodlyness paladin777's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new nids player

Ok, so I happened along about 1800 points of VERY old nids for free, and I'm wondering what I should get next, here is my roster so far

2 tyrants, bonesword/lashwhip, venom cannon (i have the barbed strangler parts, they're just not installed)

6 warriors: 1 w/ venom cannon, 1 w/ strangler, 2 with devourers, 2 with scything talons, (all with rending claws)

4 raveners, all with 2 pairs scything talons,

1 lichter

2 biovores

2 zoanthropes

1 carnefex w/ 2 pairs scything talons

30 gaunts (fleshborers)

17 genestealers

a few ripper swarms.

I'm personally thinking some more stealers, enough to have 2 broods of 12;
    another squad of 30 gaunts
    and another carnie or 2

Originally Posted by Reinnon
    to be a thousand son general isn't a choice in gaming, its a state of mind.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x1)

Well, it all depends on what kind of list you want to run. If you can tell me that, I can help better. Do you want nidzilla? Stealer shock? Gaunt swarm? From what you posted it seems you want something leaning toward nidzilla/stealer shock, but not completely in that direction.

I can give you a few pointers to begin, though:
    1. Lash Whips/Bonesword is really not a very good combo. The catalyst power isn't great as nids typically have good initiative base, at least on the models that it's really going to have the most effect on. There's nothing WRONG with lash whips, it's just that for the points other weapons/biomorphs are better.
    2. You may want to reconfigure your warrior squads. As it is, you'll be running either two squads with different weapons on all of the warriors (not good as they perform better if they are all tailored for a certain role) or two squads one of which is 2 CC warriors and one ranged, which again is mixed role and not very efficient.
    3. Biovores are not that great at the moment, so I wouldn't recommend using them. In my experience proxying them, at least, they've done very little and I missed the points that I used on them that could have gone to another couple warriors.
    4. Lictors tend to get exponentially better as you add more of them. For maximum impact, field 3. This will make your opponent dread forests and allow you to have a large amount of control on any deepstriking units that you have.

If you want anymore suggestions, please tell me what kind of list you are interesting in running and I will attempt to help from there.

Knight of Goodlyness paladin777's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, these are just what I was given, so I didn't get these with a design in mind, it just happened. For the tyrants, I was thinking about just a pair of scything talons.

other than that, for my other armies, I normally like to run balanced list that include some of a lot of things, (for 2 of them anyway).

I've played a game now and I Really like raveners, and I am going to have to agree that lichters probably would work better with more of them.

as for troops, for larger (ie. 2000 ) how does 2 full broods of genies and 2 full broods of gaunts sound, or does this not work.
    Originally Posted by Reinnon
    to be a thousand son general isn't a choice in gaming, its a state of mind.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Hey there, paladin777. To let you know, all threads concerning army lists (or army list inquiries) are to be posted in the army list section. No worries. I just so happen to have this magical dust I pilfered from Tinker Bell that should do the trick.

*sprinkles Tinker dust... thread transported to the army list section*
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by paladin777 View Post
    well, these are just what I was given, so I didn't get these with a design in mind, it just happened.
    For the tyrants, I was thinking about just a pair of scything talons.
    I'm going to assume that you meant two pairs of scything talons since you are required to take two bio-weapons. This can be an effective setup, especially if the Tyrant has wings and warp field. Do that and you'll be pretty much assured that you can take out any enemy vehicles (except eldar tanks or maybe the monolith [I can't remember it's rules vs monstrous creatures at the moment]). I'm skeptical about two with them though, as the one on foot won't be doing anything for a few turns until it gets into combat.

other than that, for my other armies, I normally like to run balanced list that include some of a lot of things, (for 2 of them anyway).
    Well, nids is a pretty good army then since they have a lot of effective units.

I've played a game now and I Really like raveners, and I am going to have to agree that lichters probably would work better with more of them.
    I agree with you that ravenors are very cool, but you have to be careful using them. They are fairly easy to kill, especially for the points they cost, and after you use them a couple times your opponents will quickly make them a priority target. I wouldn't advice AGAINST using them, just be careful when doing so.

as for troops, for larger (ie. 2000 ) how does 2 full broods of genies and 2 full broods of gaunts sound, or does this not work.
    That sounds pretty good, the only thing might be objective capturing. I would advice splitting one of the gaunt broods into two smaller ones with Without Number so that they can respawn to capture rear objectives. Otherwise, just running all of those guys up with the gaunts screening the genestealers should work pretty well.

+ Reply to Thread