2000pts Biel'Tan Mech - Tournament - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

2000pts Biel'Tan Mech - Tournament

Hi all! I'm putting together a tournament list wanted this one to fixate a little more on CC, as I seem to do better when I can throw off my opponent from their best laid plans, I thought this list might do the trick. It's a rather standard mech list, but just in case something is horridly wrong with it, I thought I better get some more opinions.

HQ: Yriel, Prince

HQ: Farseer Doom; Runes of Warding

Elite: Howling Banshees ( 10 )
    Howling Banshee Exarch - War Shout; Acrobatic; Executioner
    Wave Serpent - Spirit Stone; TL Scatter Laser

Elite: Striking Scorpions ( 10 )
    Striking Scorpion Exarch - Shadowstrike; Stalker; Scorpion Claw (SClaw)
    Wave Serpent - Spirit Stone; TL Scatter Laser

Troops: Dire Avengers ( 10 )
    Dire Avenger Exarch - Bladestorm; 2 Avenger SC
    Wave Serpent - Spirit Stone; TL Bright Lances

Troops: Dire Avengers ( 10 )
    Dire Avenger Exarch - Bladestorm; 2 Avenger SC

Troops: G Storm Squad ( 11 )
    Warlock - Destructor

Heavy Support: Fire Prism

Heavy Support: Fire Prism

Total : 2000 points

I figure Yriel will get me the +1 to reserve rolls, meaning I can start off-board (if possible), and get on the table quick enough. Farseer rides with Banshees most likely. Yriel rides with the Storm Guardians as he'll most likely split off to EoW a squad, or kill tanks.

The Scorps in a Serpent, and flanking can give my opponent a nice healthy fear of board edges. Doesn't matter cause they can still get to the middle pretty quick.

I'm not sure if I want to try and turn one more TL-ScL into a TL-BL on one of the serpents. Would I need it? Or would it just be redundant?

Also, what armies are going to be my weakness? Which ones would be easy prey? This is so I know what to practice against.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Last edited by darquewing; October 26th, 2009 at 19:55.
    Arvan'drynn Craftworld - 15,000pts (deceased)
    Tau - 2,000 points (atomized while on patrol)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

I like it. Personally I'd switch the DAs to Storm Guardians like you have. Even more CC and they can do more damage than DAs in a lot of circumstances, especially with Doom.

I don't know what you can do with the points netted but....something. :] A great list overall.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

well this is a nice list

to answer your questions:

1) you will not nesisarily have problems with any army in paticular, however you will have problems with certain elite squads some include- nob squad w/ pain boy, and cyborg bodies, and thunder hammer and storm shield terminator squads and large tank formations such as leman russes. these are all going to be fairly common in tournaments and i would suggest taking some fire dragons as they will most likely be able to solve the problems of the tanks formations and those maxed out nob sqauds.

hope my advice helps and good luck!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my opinion u realy need Fire dragons... probably u can finde points for them just dropping some banshees (9 are too much in my opinion) and some striking scorpions. I like to flank with my SK and use them in little numbers. in this way u can use theyr transports for the fire dragons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

Thank you all for the replys.

PoE, believe me, I would like to see so many Storm Guardians in a list of mine, but am without funds to buy the 3 boxes of them to fill out the other serpents. So instead of a Mech USF I am doing Mech BT. Also, this one can let me keep a little more range, and the DA's can possibly get in cover on an objective and still provide some close fire support.

Nigel and az, I previously had Fire Dragons in this list instead of the Scorpions, but swapped since I figure Scorps are more likely to be around late game. Thus to ease the lack of AT, I put in the Bright Lances on the Serpents. Also, I do have Yriel with his Staff of Twilight, and two Witchblades floating around. If not facing Land Raiders, my Scorpion Exarch could also handle rear armor easily enough. Not to mention their flanking Serpent with it's Scatter Lasers.

But mostly I'm depending on my Serpents for bringing down heavy armor, which is why I'm wondering if swapping one of the TL-Scatter Lasers to TL-Bright Lances might be a good choice. I'd have to drop War Shout and the Runes of Warding to get it though.

Are people playing many psykers these days? Will War Shout actually make a difference?

Again, thanks for the feedback. As usual it brings more questions to mind, but it's still very helpful. =D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably is just a matter of game style, but FD imo are the best eldar unit.. for only 80 points u have 5 termic shots that can help you in a lot of situations not only against land raider (i love to destroy a tank with BL and then kill the terminetor inside with my fire dragons). I usualy put my FD in a falcon couse i want to be sure to have thise guyes in the center of action at the rigth time.

Always take rune of warding!

oh and take the 2 flamers for your storm guardian squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

Thanks az! I will definitely keep the Fire Dragons in mind, and may end up moving back to them instead of the Scorpions.

Instead of the Scorpions this is what I would insert there:

Elite: Fire Dragons ( 10 )
    Fire Dragon Exarch - :edit: Tank Hunters; Crackshot :edit:
    Last edited by darquewing; October 29th, 2009 at 15:33. Reason: I flubbed my copy and paste

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by darquewing View Post
    Fire Dragon Exarch - Bladestorm; 2 Avenger SC
    fire dragon exarch w/ bladestorm and dual cats??? well im sure it was a typo or somthing along those lines. anyway this is good because it allows some more tank hunting and dealing with those pesky maxed out nob squads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

Fixed the FD listing. Rushed that one a bit I suppose.

So, now I have an armor ignoring assault squad and an armor ignoring shooty squad. Also, I fit in the fourth TL Bright Lance.

Does this seem more useful than having a flanking unit of Scorps in a Wave Serpent? Has the metagame changed to people having so much heavy armor?

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

There is a lot of heavy armor but more so transports. Personally, I'd roll the BLs to EMLs. BLs, on average, do a poor job against heavy armor, Dragons are where it's at. EMLs deal with medium/light armor well but are good with troops too. It's a more flexible choice.

Outflanking Scorps seems pretty good. They have a lot of potential, I'd test it out.

If you have a lot of speed your EMLs can get side or even rear, only Land Raiders are going to be a problem but that's what Dragons are for!
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast