<1000 Snakebites - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Snakebites

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Snakebites

Well here it is my first list, fairly experimental and more fluff than tactically sound; but that's my way I am guess?

HQ:
    Warboss*': power klaw, shoota-rokkit combi-weapon, ammo runt, bosspole &
    Weirdboy*": 158

Troops:
    Gretchin x30 +3Runtherd one with grot-prod 125
    Shoota-boyz x30, 3 bigshoota upgrades, nob upgrade +bosspole *' 210
    Slugga-boyz ‘Mad-boyz’ x30, nob upgrade +bosspole & bigchoppa *" 200

Fast attack:
    2 Cyboar wartrakk w/ twin linked bigshoota 70
    These are based on old cyboar figures that are actually too small to mount orks on but if I put them side by side and put some decking and a gun between them I've got wartrakk equivalents (will increase to 3 trakks if I ever get another having brought 5 cyboars)

Heavy support:
    3 Squig catapults (lobbas), 3 ammo grunts, 6 additional crew, Runtherd with grotprod 117
    Squigoth w/ kannon & 10Shootaboyz (troops) 120

Total 1000

I would like to add boar-boyz and will probably house rule these as ork rough rider equivalents (fast attack)
    Probably buy AOBR & ork megaforce to start this and try to sell the bikes, Koptas & Marines to fund the grot & forgeworld squiggoth purchases.
    Clearly I also lack trukks at present but if I'm putting 10 Shootaboyz on each squiggoth (yes I'm looking to get a second at a latter date) and they are counting as individual troop units a trukk-worth hardly seems wothwhile, even if they are Ardboyz with stickbombz.
    Other option would be to field 3 units of 10Nobz in Battlewagons as I have no elite at present.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

Drop the Combi and the Runt on the Warboss, it won't help him in the long run. Grab a Cybork and Eavy Armor instead.

Upgrade the Weirdboy to a Warp'ead

You only need about 19 Grots, they're better off camping an objective than being living cover, it's very easy to get cover without them now. Save points there.

Nobs need PKs, it's still fluffy and VERY needed. The rest of those units are fine.Switch your

Boartraks to Rokkits and leave them as Buggies. You can still use your fluff but they don't need to be Trakks. Make sure they're different units as well, don't squad unless you need too.

Don't buy additional crew or anything for the Lobbas, just hide them and fire. They shouldn't take damage most games but if there's Outflankers or DS they'll die anyways so don't waste points.

Squigoths aren't legal so I'd run it as a Battlewagon myself. Give it a Big Shoota, Deff Rolla representing it's biting ability, Grot Riggers representing it's toughness and maybe Extra Armor as the same.

Hope that helps.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanx for suggestions:

Will do as you suggest with HQ, wierdboy was originaly a warphead but army came to too many points and easiest reduction was to lose his upgrade which was exactly the number I was over.

If I'm trimming grots off of the big unit I may well try and include 2 units of 19 (I guess the 19 is to reduce the number of runtherders to 1, rather than 20 which would need 2?)

Wanted to powerclaw the unts nobs but very expensive, maybe just the 'mad-boyz-mob'.

Will hold off on lobba crew & consider the weapons allocation on the 'buggies', I think I have some epic harpoons that would look pretty snkebitey & these could easily by classed as rockits.

Got to stay with my squiggoth as I just love the figure. Was thinking about this and since theyre monsterous creatures they could move together with a unit of shoota-boys distributed between them? Even if one dies the boyz that get off will have no problem keeping up with the other squiggoth; assuming its not just sat on an objective firing its kannon. Your right though they are not legal, but neither are they unbalanced (weak if anything), this is why future fast attack are likely to be boar-boy rough rider types rather than proxied bikes which doesn't look or feel right.
    Its a shame squigoth are individual heavy support rather than squads or dedicated transports, but I wouldn't think anyone would mind me replacing nobz battlewagons with them as such?

I Sincerely Want a Parrot counterwavecounter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x1)

I don't think Power Klaws are Snake-Bite fluffy at all, they're crazy Mek-Boy inventions that have all sorts of wires and electronics linking them to the Ork's nervous system, doesn't sound very Snake-Bite to me. The quintessential Snake-Bite War-Boss/Nob weapon is the Big Choppa. Furthermore, if you're Snake-Bite, the War-Boss needs an Attack-Squig, the tribe is, after all, renowned for their Squig breeding techniques.

I really dig your Boar War-Trakk idea, very creative. I also second fielding that Squiggoth as a Battle-Wagon.
    "The man in the bowler hat is Mr. Average in his anonymity. I, too, wear one; I have no great desire to stand out from the masses." - Rene Magritte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

You can easily do a counts as for PKs. Maybe they have a very large pet squig that can bite things in half or some strange plant that gives them berserker strength. Good themed lists don't gimp themselves but they find ways to keep good upgrades in theme.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.

I Sincerely Want a Parrot counterwavecounter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by The Prince of Excess View Post
    You can easily do a counts as for PKs. Maybe they have a very large pet squig that can bite things in half or some strange plant that gives them berserker strength. Good themed lists don't gimp themselves but they find ways to keep good upgrades in theme.
    The problem I have with doing things like that is I consider it fluff abuse, anyone can make up some story to justify anything in their army; I could easily say, well my Snake-Bites have found a way to use native Spine-Spitting plants as guns, huzzah, I can now take Lootas... come on, that's stretching it. That very large pet squig is cool, but it better be modeled and modeled well.

Fluff armies and Competitive armies rarely see eye-eye. I think competitive players like to convince themselves their armies are fluffy, example, my Imperial Guard army are survivors of some war, bingo, justified Veteran spam, but that story has been told a thousand times by a thousand people and it's uninspiring. If you're going for fluff make it creative and be prepared to sacrifice competitive options in favor of options that contribute to your army's character.

P.S.
    I still don't think Power-Klaws belong anywhere in a Snakebite army.
    Last edited by counterwavecounter; November 14th, 2009 at 07:28.
    "The man in the bowler hat is Mr. Average in his anonymity. I, too, wear one; I have no great desire to stand out from the masses." - Rene Magritte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

368 (x8)

I'll just respectfully disagree. My army is pretty well themed in lore and models and is VERY competitive. Fluff is not something you can abuse, it's a backstory to a game and Warhammer fluff is VERY lenient. I guarantee I could find a Deathworld in official canon that has the plants you describe.

Snakebites favor old ways of fighting, old ways being no armor and not many big guns. Lootas would be a bit of a stretch but PKs, it's to easy to justify to make me scoff. Heck O&G in Fantasy have squigs that do just what I was talking about and they can grow into Squiggoths! Being a fat ball of muscle that hits hard and slow seems well within their accepted fluff.

Thinking outside the box is good and adds to an armies originality and conversion opportunities. You can be the best painter/modeler/lore guy in the world, you still want to win SOMETIMES so why not use what is accepted as true?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

re-writting the Boss-man etc

Warboss + replace choppa with 'power klaw' represented by a decrotive 'cave squig' miniature, attack squig & bosspole 105.Use Squiggoth's as Trukks effectively with armourd plates, grot riggers & wreckin' ball for 60pts. Dedicated transports for samll units of 12 slugga boys with bosspoled nob.Use boarboys as dakkaless warbiles for 17/model as a house rule if I'm allowed.

+ Reply to Thread