1.5K New to Necrons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    244 (x5)

1.5K New to Necrons

Hello all. I play SM but I do like how the Necrons look, not to mention their background in the Codex.

List I decided to make up, based off the Battle Box Set for $90 on GW.

Help much appreciated

HQ:

[165] Necron Lord
    -Warscythe
    -Destroyers body
    -Lightning Field

Elite:

[288] Pariah x8

Troop:

[180] Necron Warrior x10

[180] Necron Warrior x10

[180] Necron Warrior x10

Fast Attack:

[84]Scarab Swarm x7

[150] Destroyers x3

[150] Destroyers x3

Heavy Support:

[110] Tomb Spider x2

Total: 1487

OR

HQ:

[165] Necron Lord
    -Warscythe
    -Destroyers body
    -Lightning Field

Elite:

[168] Immortal x6

Troop:

[180] Necron Warrior x10

[180] Necron Warrior x10

[180] Necron Warrior x10

Fast Attack:

[84]Scarab Swarm x7

[150] Destroyers x3

[150] Destroyers x3

Heavy Support:

[110] Tomb Spider x2

[110] Tomb Spider x2

Total: 1477

Last edited by Lani Guy; November 11th, 2009 at 21:15.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

Hey Lani Guy, Welcome to the Tomb!

You've put together a rather interesting list. First off I'm gonna let you know something. Pariahs are considered an advanced unit for Necrons. They don't always mesh really well with other units, don't add to phase out, and can't regenerate as everything else can. They tend to be rather finicky about what they fight in CC, since they have low init and only one attak. That said when they DO fight something that they are strong against, (see = TH/SS anything, Daemons, Characters) they slaughter their target with a gleeful efficiency. As far as their shooting goes, they hit like immortals, so most people suggest they replace them with said unit.

The lord is decent, good leader to go with scarabs, and since you have the spyders to guard your warriors, you shouldn't need the res orb against most armies. Pariahs might help this as well. Are you facing a lot of horde lists? that's where this sort of unit really shines, causing boyz/gaunts to take a wound every time they kill a model that's just as squishy as they are is pretty amusing. I might look at trying to fit d-fields on your scarabs, they make a pretty nasty tank hunting unit that way, especially with a Warscythe tooling around with them.

Remember that your Spyders allow your Destroyers a far wider operation range, Destroyers can actually punch through some side armor, and if you can get into a position to allow this, it will really help you against vehicles, generally though, Destroyers will always be your hardest hitter. Keep them out of combat though, you can't afford not having those shots! And spread them out so battlecannons/plasmacannons can't kill the whole squad.

Tomb spyders are there to kill everything that isn't a frontline heavy assault squad. If something is in range, and isn't filled with high strenght power weapons and invulnerable saves, charge it! Keep a scarab up and running durring shooting to soak heavy weapon fire, but I wouldn't make one before charging (the scarabs saves are easy to punch through, and can end up causing excessive wounds on the spyder).

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    244 (x5)

Thanks Alzer, very insightful. I actually posted another list that popped into my head, I dont think you got to see it in time Check that out and see what you think.

To me, the Spyders are the tank hunters, 2d6 +6S is great for any side armour. Scarabs seem to be a more focus fire for infantry, because they are small I'm pretty sure they get some sort of bonus for it which makes them harder to hit. The warriors are decent imo. Stats are solid (almost exactly same as SM) and SM troops are super good. I figured my leader would woosh around with my Destroyers, seemed like a good fit. Honestly, IDK what upgrades to put on the HQ, I'm not exactly sure how necrons fair against what, but I mostly play against Eldar, SM, CSM, Nids and IG.
    Last edited by Lani Guy; November 11th, 2009 at 21:33.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

Aha, no I hadn't, however my advice works for both.

Generally speaking, Necron Lords are most useful kitted out with a Ressurection orb, and stuck in your warriors. This protects your main force from everything except sweeping advance (which is ludicrously powerful against necrons), and massed fire (which tends to be rather ineffective in the first place). This is refered to as an "orb-lord" some people put warscythes, or gaze of flame, or some other little toy on them, but they are there for the res orb.

However there are several other kits for a lord depending on what unit you combine them with.

-Veil of Darkness, and Ressurection Orb/Nightmare shroud, can be used with Immortals to create a "Flying circus" which lets you jump around the board pouring out S5 AP 4 shots from pretty much any angle you can get to safely.

-Wraithlord, Destroyer body, phase shifter, res orb, maybe warscythe. Goes with Wraiths, adds some armor penetration and serious durability to the unit while they fly around causing havok. Unfortunately can't fly through walls like wraiths can.

-Bug Zapper. This is the lord you've stumbled upon. Destroyer Lord, with lightening field. Stick it with a scarab swarm, every wound the scarab takes, the enemy takes, and since scarabs are unbelievably squishy compared to everything else in the Necron force, it's a great combo for taking down light infantry, the warscythe lets the lord run up and happy-slap a tank as well (5+ 2d6 v.s rear armor is love).

Tomb spyders, in my experience tend to be a bit on the slow side for vehicle hunting. Most often I use mine to bulldoze a troops squad, or mid sized assault squads (assault marines mostly). Sometimes you can get them to tie up something big and really nasty, but not always. Generally just letting destroyers, immortals, or warriors zap vehicles with gauss is what gets me by. Or taking a couple heavy destroyers.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

244 (x5)

Bug Zapper, LOLOLOL

Hmm, well it seems I'm still noob'in it. What would you switch around then? I listed what I play, it seems like I'm going to have a complex my first game haha

The more info. the better, I'll sponge it!

+ Reply to Thread