building competitive 1000 point Eldar - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

building competitive 1000 point Eldar

I'm just getting back into playing 40k after a 9 year break and I almost feel bad doing this because I see this sort of post a lot. But if someone would be able to give me some advice it would be great.

What I'm hoping to build is a competitive 1000 point Eldar army.

I don't have any play style preferences so if you could also mention the tactics that would be helpful.

What i currently own are

1 Avatar
    1 Farseer
    2 Warlocks
    19 Guardians
    6 Rangers
    1 Heavy weapon
    1 Support weapon battery
    7 Warp spiders (including exarch)
    11 Striking Scorpions (including exarch)
    1 Vyper
    4 Shining Spears
    2 Fire Prisms
    1 Falcon

As you can see this collection of models was done with little regard to strategy, that being said I am willing to purchase some more models.

Any advice is appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

Welcome to LO speare!

For future reference, army list threads should be posted in the appropriate "army list" subform. I've moved your thread there, no worries.

You have an odd mix to work with, and for "competitive" Eldar not really the best starting point, but I'm sure we can make it work.

First focus I always make is my troops/HQ for when I build a list so we'll start there.

Both of your current choices are strong, though for 1K i'd really take the cheaper Farseer. This gives your army a strong core of support. Doom or guide are great places to start, though fortune may find it's way in here as well.

As your options are pretty limited on the troops front, you'll basically end up with some rangers/pathfinders, and then guardians. What heavy weapon do you have for your guardians by the way? Generally scatter laser or missile launcher would be my choice for it. Since guardians are going to be forced to walk across the board in the case of some objectives games (or just entrench like crazy). I feel having 12-14 would be good, along with a warlock, on which embolden or conceal could both serve well.

After all that, you're going to need some punch, and some mobility. As you don't have a wave serpent, the falcon will have to do for carting around troops. 6 Striking scorpions, with a claw exarch and stalker. Scatter laser on the falcon, maybe some hollow fields, and you're good to go.

Fire prisms will provide great fire support, one or two is your choice, though if you want vehicles, it's best to have several, that way your opponent's anti-tank guns don't just have one thing to pick on the whole game.

After that, Warp Spyders seem to be your best bet. Use them to harass enemy units, mess with assaults and generally cause havok, with a bit of damage as well. One of the actual Eldar players can probably tell you more about how to use them than I can.

Anyway best of luck with your game! And enjoy your stay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry for the mix up Alzer, and thanks for moving it.

Also a big thanks for the advice, and the weapon plateform that i have has the scatter laser already on it, but i could probably take it apart and use magnets so that i could change it easily.

I will definitly give a list a try with your advice

I was reading around and found a list that alot of people seemed to like was as follows

2 farseers
    2 Wave serpants
    2 squads of 10 dire avengers
    2 fire prisms

I think I might try to slowly build towards that maybe purchasing 2 eldar battle forces and another box of dire avengers, that way I'll also get 2 war walkers and more guardians with heavy weapon plateforms which would give me some flexability in putting other lists together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok so after some math and a bit more reading i have come up with 2 very different lists, both of which i could put together with the models i already own.

First one (based off suggestions)

Farseer 100
    -doom
    -guide

5 rangers 95

13 guardians 156
    -scatter laser
    -warlock
    -conceal
    -embolden

6 striking scorpions 108
    -exarch

5 warp spiders 127
    -exarch
    -additional spinner

Falcon 175
    -scatter laser
    -holofields
    -spirit stones

2 Fire Prisms 230

=999

basic tactics, troops hang back, scorpions in falcon move up, warp spiders flank, everything shoots

Option 2, this one is a little more unique and uses a turtling, tar-pitting, assault technique.

Edited

Farseer 125
    -doom
    -fortune/guide
    -spirit stones

10 Guardians 135
    -scatter
    -warlock
    -conceal

10 storm guardians 135
    -warlock
    -conceal
    -enhance

2 fire prisms 230

3 War walkers 180
    -scatter laser x3
    -scatter laser x3

=960

so guardians would lead the charge with the avatar and either the farseer joins them casting fortune to keep them alive longer or the farseer stays back with the grav tanks and war walkers casting guide. and i still have 40 points left over for something else. Not sure if this makes this army competitive enough or if its just too many different thngs going on at once to be effective.

suggestions on either? and it looks like my first match is going to be going against a tau army, but i do not not have any details about what it is made up from
    Last edited by speare; November 26th, 2009 at 02:28. Reason: changing list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

I would stick more with your first list. The second could be interesting for a friendly game, but I wouldn't count on much past that. 20 t3 5+ save models, are still just 20 t3 5+ save models when the bolter rounds start flying. (or other, reflavored S4 AP 5 weapon). Fortune is great, as long as you get saves in the first place.

Nab a claw on the scorpion exarch if you can. There's nothing more depressing than watching your armored space ninjas get bogged down by 3+ saves or the like. 3 WS5 S6 powerfist slaps can get through far more trouble than you might expect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would favour your first list as well:
    Farseer 100
    -doom
    -guide
    drop a power or add a spirit stone, you wanna use what you buy

5 rangers 95

13 guardians 156
    -scatter laser
    -warlock
    -conceal
    -embolden
    1 abality/warlock I would say conceal if the terrain is thin embolden if you will have enough cover

6 striking scorpions 108
    -exarch
    add a claw you can chose to attack with scopri blade at given init or if faced with high T or a Dreadnaught use the claw. If you dont give special stuff to exarchs than you might as well leave it and use the extra points to grab a nother member

5 warp spiders 127
    -exarch
    -additional spinner
    Well its a little against my words up there but, drop the exarch and you can have 2 additional spiders so 7 in total, true that you still get 4 shots but wih bs4 but a nother extra body with it

Falcon 175
    -scatter laser
    -holofields
    -spirit stones

2 Fire Prisms 230

Overall a good listIt looks solid, if you still have extra points use them to get a few more guardians or if you happen to have good terrain than the rangers could be pathfinders and that 2+ cover from the 4+ makes wonders^^ except if you face templates....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok so the edited first list looks like this now.

Farseer 120
    -Doom
    -Guide
    -Spirit stones

5 Rangers 95

11 Guardians 133
    -Scatter
    -Warlock
    -Embolden

6 Striking Scorpions 123
    -exarch
    -claw

5 Warp Spiders 110

Falcon 175
    -scatter
    -holofield
    -spirit stones

2 Fire Prisms 230

=986

So i decided to take conceal off the warlock as i figure i will just always try to place the guardians in cover but now i have 14 points left over and am wondering what to do with them, its not enough for more spiders, so should i just add something to the farseer, or take conceal?

another option would be take out a guardian and make the rangers pathfinders

and thanks again for all the feed back

edit looking forward would it be a smart move to replace the falcon with a wave serpant and add 3 more scorpions or replace the rangers with DA or a storm squad and warlock?
    Last edited by speare; November 26th, 2009 at 02:07.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

i would replace the guardians with a unit of 10 DA, they will average more kills against MEQ and at better range, allowing 1-2 turns of shooting instead of 0-1, but i really am not a fan of guardians in their current incarnation,

at 1000 points i like having at least 3 troops. i know you are dealing with the models you have but..... that does not change that you will be very hard pushed in any game type besides anniliation, neither of your current troops can stand up to an assault. your scorpions can only contest.

storm gaurdians with flamers and destructor warlocks, DA, and multiples of 3 jetbike guardians, and your one unit of rangers make a good core troops

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what about instead of rangers i get a basic squad of 10 DA (no exarch) and take the guardians down to 10?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

If it was up to me i would add the DA, keep the rangers, replace the guardians with 10 DA or a jetbike squad

I ran the mathhammer and for the cost DA will outperfom guardians, and the HWP is only signifigant if you use starcannon or brightlance, and their are more effective ways to get those, such as warwalkers

The point is that you only have 2 troops, you do not want to replace either of them, you want to add another.

For two modes of gameplay, out of three, the ability to capture objectives can only be done by troop slots, in an annilation game you have 3 hs, hopefully putting lots of plates over your opponents army and killng them off, but in the other 2 modes you will only really have the ability to contest which at best leaves you with a draw, unless you wipe them off the board, then you automatically win

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast