1500 pt. Toys for Tots Tourney - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

1500 pt. Toys for Tots Tourney

Hey fellow Orks,

My LGS is having an Toys for Tots tourney in the second week of December. The only special rule in this tourney is no "Named Characters"!! The reason being is because they want this to be a very low key tourney without any uber-cheesy named characters like Eldarch and the like.

Unfortunately, this means I can't take Snikrot, but I think overall Orks benefit from that rule since they usually focus more on basic troops and HQ's and rely very little on special named characters.

Here is the List I'm planning so far.

HQ
    Big Mek w. KFF, Cybork Burna 115

Warboss w. PK, Cybork, 'Eavy 100

Troops
    11xBoys, Nob PK BP in Trukk w/ Ram (HQ 1) 146
    11xBoys, Nob PK BP in Trukk w/ Ram (HQ 2) 146
    20x Shoota Boyz, 2 Big Shoota w. Nob PK BP 170
    10x Gretchin + Runtherd 40pts
    12x Boyz Nob PK BP in Trukk(no upgrades) 147pts

Elite
    9x Lootas 135 pts
    9x Lootas 135 pts

Heavy
    BattleWagon w/ Deffrolla, Grot Riggers, Big Shoota 120 pts

Total 1499 pts.

The units/upgrades marked in Red are a few that I'm debating on taking.

--I know Trukk boyz are good, but I currently only have 2 of the recent model of GW trukk and on older model (the GorkaMorka model I believe, which is about 1/3rd the size of the newer models), so I'm hoping nobody would have a problem with it. I was also considering using it and another small "Kustom" vehicle as a pair of Warbuggies.

--Deffrollas are always nice, but there are lots of turns when I want to move 6" or less to use the 40+ shots from the Shoota boy squad...which often makes it hard to Tank Shock. I'm also not sure about Grot Riggers, but it seems pretty good to keep the BW on the move. What do you guys think?

--The Warboss has nice stats, but since I'm not taking Nobs, I may be better off with a Warphead or another Unit.

At any rate, If I remove those, I could potentially free up 177-277pts (15pts for each Deffrolla, because I would give them Rams for the Reroll). Which could be enough to take one of the following options I've been considering; DeffKoptas, Looted Wagon, Burna Boyz, StormBoyz, Kommandos or Warbikers.

EDIT" I've had some suggestions for Warbuggies and Big Gunz, but I don't currently own any of those models right now. I have a GorkaMorka Trukk which I could probably use as a Warbuggy, but I would any other suggestions on how I could Kustom build Buggies or Big Gunz.

Last edited by Darkzephyr; November 22nd, 2009 at 20:15.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The boss is fine, but I'd give him a combi scorcha. He'll do fine with a trukk mob. I stopped putting a boss with my nobs as it was just overkill as the nobs are good enough without the extra punch of a boss and he adds alot to a trukk mob.

THe one thing I would do is drop the boyz in red and add some rokkit buggies. Get as many as you can and break them up in to three FA slots to help them last longer.

Other than that, the list looks good and fast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Hmm,

Well, right now I only have a GorkaMorka Trukk and another Kustom Trukk that could probably work as a rokkit buggie.
    Wish I could afford Rokkit buggies at GW prices. Do you have any ideas of how to get them cheaper or kustom build them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is the great thing about an ork army, the more you scratch build, the better it looks. Just grab some leftover bits from other kits and start putting them together. You can chop up some deffkoptas if you have too many. or, as you say, use the gorka morka trucks as buggies. The most important thing is that your opponent can recognize with they represent without too much confusion.

As for rockets, I've seen people use pen tops and glue fins on them. With orks, it all works. Just go wild and it'll be fine.

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

Since you asked for my advice, here's my take.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkzephyr View Post
    HQ
    Big Mek w. KFF, Cybork Burna 115

Fantastic HQ, best Orks can take imo.

Warboss w. PK, Cybork, 'Eavy 100

Pretty useful as well, mainly as an armor buster. He's not a great fighter in many situations because of the low I and bad save.

Troops
    11xBoys, Nob PK BP in Trukk w/ Ram (HQ 1) 146
    11xBoys, Nob PK BP in Trukk w/ Ram (HQ 2) 146
    10x Gretchin + Runtherd 40pts
    12x Boyz Nob PK BP in Trukk(no upgrades) 147pts

Everything is good here, I'd up the Grots to 19 if you can. Barely a points investment but ups the chance of them holding an objective.

Elite
    9x Lootas 135 pts
    9x Lootas 135 pts

One of the best units in the game, good pick.

Heavy

Good here as well.
    Looks all good to me, I have no criticism. 5 scoring units, one hold back, all units have speed, you have Lootas and PKs for armor, cover all around. I'd advise all the Boyz being Shootas, the Trukk units don't say. They're more useful in almost every situation over Slugga Boyz.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

I agree with the Prince, the army looks solid. The only thing I'd do is find the points (perhaps by removing the big mek's burna) to give the trukks with slugga boyz in them some stikkbomb chukkas, and the warboss a combi-skorcha. Because it's AP 4, the combi-skorcha is a lot more useful than the burna. The stikkbomb chukkas are because when facing Imperial Guard and other Ork armies, and your opponent is hiding in cover, they'll mean the difference between a swift victory and a slow, crushing defeat.

Good luck!
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Thanks for the responses guys. Just wanted to ask a few things.

Quote Originally Posted by The Prince of Excess View Post
    Looks all good to me, I have no criticism. 5 scoring units, one hold back, all units have speed, you have Lootas and PKs for armor, cover all around. I'd advise all the Boyz being Shootas, the Trukk units don't say. They're more useful in almost every situation over Slugga Boyz.

I could have all the Boyz be Shootas, though I kinda like having Assaulty units in Trukks sicne they don't last long and Shooty units in the BW, since its got better Armour. What do you mean by "Trukk unit don't say", Dont say what?

Anyways, if I do go all Shootas, I'll have to convert some more boyz.

Lastly, if I do buy more Gretchin (only have 10x atm), Where would you free up the points?

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisgrax View Post
    I agree with the Prince, the army looks solid. The only thing I'd do is find the points (perhaps by removing the big mek's burna) to give the trukks with slugga boyz in them some stikkbomb chukkas, and the warboss a combi-skorcha. Because it's AP 4, the combi-skorcha is a lot more useful than the burna. The stikkbomb chukkas are because when facing Imperial Guard and other Ork armies, and your opponent is hiding in cover, they'll mean the difference between a swift victory and a slow, crushing defeat.

Good luck!

Good Call Grax, IF I remove the Burna, I could get 15 pts back, which allows for all 3 Trukks to have a Stikk Bombs, or 2 Trukks to have them and give the Boss a Kombi-Skorcha. But that still leaves a Trukk without a Ram

Again, though...I'm uncertain about how useful the Deffrollas will be when I'm probably going to be moving 6" every turn in order to fire the Shoota Boy shots. Or will I??
    IDK, How do you guys use Shoota Boy BW's w/ a Deffrolla? It seems you usually have to pick one or the other.

What if I dropped one or Both Deffrollas instead? Or should I keep them "just in case" I get with range of something that I could really hurt?

P.s. AFAIK, this tourney will allow Tank-shocking Vehicles with the Deffrolla. At least most platers there say it's legal according to RAW.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Oops, I missed the other trukk. For 5 more points you could always downgrade the big meks cybork to 'eavy armor. That should be good enough.

I don't like shoota boyz in trukks. It's not really enough to make a significant impact, but it's more than enough slugga boyz to get the job done. I'd use shoota boyz in battlewagons and slugga boyz in trukks.

Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alternative opinion regarding stickbombs and sluggas/shootas in truks.

Last tournament I've played, i had two trukks. One with sluggas, one with shootas. Every single time i was about to move my sluggas, I wished they were shootas. That extra 6" range makes all the difference in the world.
    But the most important thing is that shootas do not become completely useless after trukk explodes and u have a squad of 7 left.

As for chukkas and stickbombs:
    1. You will kill any IG in melee whoever strikes first.
    2. Other orks you can simply shoot at (especially if he has sluggas )
    3. You pay five points/trukk to get questionable one time benefit against limited amount of targets, provided your trukk is not destroyed before the assault takes place.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by Galakhad; November 23rd, 2009 at 21:13.
    Be what you are I tell myself. And myself tells me we can't be anybody else (c)DP

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

511 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Galakhad View Post
    1. You will kill any IG in melee whoever strikes first.
    2. Other orks you can simply shoot at (especially if he has sluggas )
    3. You pay five points/trukk to get questionable one time benefit against limited amount of targets, provided your trukk is not destroyed before the assault takes place.

1. Not against combined platoons of 30-50 guardsmen, with a commissar leading them, making them stubborn.

2. Hitting on 5+, wounding on 4+, and your opponent saving on 4+ reduces a trukk full of shoota boyz to 7 hits = 3-4 wounds = 1-2 kills. A battlewagon filled with shoota boyz (counting the nobz's pistol and the big shootas) gets 3-4 kills. Hardly earth shattering. You need the assault in order to break them.

3. You say that now, but when it costs you a game (and it has cost me a game), trust me, you'll shill out the 5 points for the stikkbomb chukka. Yes, it's not always necessary, but it's a pretty silly reason to lose a game.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast