2000 Points Eldar Tournament - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    It came from the warp... Fleeting Æther's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x2)

2000 Points Eldar Tournament

Ok, so my local GW has apparently switched over to 2000 points for its 40k tournaments (I'm not a huge fan of 2k, preferring 1750 or 1850, but it's the only tournament I'm aware of locally.) So, basically I started from scratch, adding units I felt were necessary to deal with any threat I'm aware of in my local metagame. The armies I've seen at the local tournament so far are:

-Space Marines: Foot-slogging Space Wolves, Mechanized Cantor Marines, newbies with random units
    -Tyranids: Mixed3-4 Fexes, 1-2 squads of stealers, ravenors, Flyrant, 2 Squads of Gaunts
    -Orks: Mixed(3man nob biker squad, Tooled out Nob squad w/ Warboss/Painboy/etc. in a Trukk, Boyz in a Battlewagon, Nobz in a Trukk)
    -Tau: Standard Tau with Broadsides, Suits, Hammerheads, and mounted Fire Warriors
    -Necrons: Mixed(Lord on foot, Destroyer Lord, multiple warrior squads, Destroyers, Heavy Destroyers, Monolith
    -IG: Steel Legion Mechanised(6-7 Chimeras, 40Guardsmen, 1-2 Veteran Squads, Command Squad, LRx3 (Battle Cannon, Vanquisher, Demolisher), Hellhound
    -Chaos: Mixed(Demonic Possession Defiler, 2 Rhino CSM squads with dual melta, 10 Terminators w/ T.Lord, 2x 3 Oblits, Demon Prince w/ Wings/Warptime, 10 strong CSM)
    -Witch Hunter: Unknown composition

==HQ==
    Yriel – 155
    Farseer – 105
    ---Doom, Runes of Warding, Runes of Witnessing
    ==Troops==
    10 Dire Avengers – 152
    ---Exarch, Dual Catapults, Bladestorm
    Wave Serpent – 140
    ---Scatter Laser, Spirit Stones, Star Engines
    10 Storm Guardians – 127
    ---2 Flamers, Warlock, Destructor
    Wave Serpent – 125
    ---Scatter Laser, Spirit Stones
    10 Wraithguard – 396
    ---Warlock, Spiritseer, Conceal
    ==Elites==
    2x 8 Fire Dragons – 145[290]
    ---Exarch, Dragon’s Breath Flamer, Crack Shot
    2x Wave Serpent – 125[250]
    ==Heavy==
    2x Wraithlord – 130[260]
    ---Starcannon, Wraithsword
    Total – 2000

I'm not opposed to going full mech at all, as that's what I've run up until this point.

Last edited by Fleeting Æther; November 23rd, 2009 at 03:21.
    Scratchbuilding Fire Prism Crystals
    2K Mech Eldar in 2010: 25Win/4Lose/8Draw

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

Wraithguard are crap on foot first off. Even with Conceal, they're just way to slow on foot and way to easy to kill. T6 doesn't go as far as it looks on paper. If they get charged by anything built for CC, they're also screwed. I'd say mount them but you need Troops so cut them imo.

I'm liking the rest. A good combo is 1 DA squad for every 2 S Guardian squads. I'd bump up to that for 3 solid Troops. A unit of Pathfinders for insurance would also be wise if you can squeeze them in.

A few EMLs on....something would be a good idea, probably the Serpents. Scatter Lasers can go on the Wraithlords, I don't know why you took Starcannons. They're way to expensive and only 2 shots? No way.

You can shave points on RoWitnessing and Star Engines, both won't add much if you need a points squeeze.

Exarchs are a waste of points for Dragons. They shoot a BS4 with Meltas, the Exarch doesn't help that. Stick 6-8 in your Serpents, charge heavy vehicles and roll them bones.

You have a good amount of areas to save points on, gun swaps would benefit you as would better Troops. Good premise going.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

101 (x2)

==HQ==
    Yriel – 155
    Farseer – 105
    ---Doom, Runes of Warding, Runes of Witnessing
    ==Troops==
    10 Dire Avengers – 152
    ---Exarch, Dual Catapults, Bladestorm
    Wave Serpent – 140
    ---EML, Shuriken Cannon, Spirit Stones
    2x 10 Storm Guardians – 127[254]
    ---2 Flamers, Warlock, Destructor
    2x Wave Serpent – 140[280]
    ---EML, Shuriken Cannon, Spirit Stones
    ==Elites==
    2x 7 Fire Dragons – 112[224]
    2x Wave Serpent – 125[250]
    ==Fast Attack==
    8 Warp Spiders – 203
    ---Exarch, Dual Death Spinners, Powerblades
    ==Heavy==
    2x Fire Prism – 115[230]

Total - 1993

Dropped Wraithguard and Wraithlords, Fire Dragon Exarchs, Star Engines

Added another Storm Guardian unit, Warp Spiders, dual Fire Prisms
    Changed multiple Scatter Lasers to EML+Shuriken Cannon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

I'd drop the Spiders for a small Ranger unit to hold your homer objective and upgrade your Serpent guns with the left over.

Get the Wraithlords back in if you can, or Walkers with 2x Scatter Lasers. They're much better Heavies than Prisms on average.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

101 (x2)

What is a Wraithlord with a Scatter Laser going to do better than a Prism? Especially when we're talking about pairs where the Prisms can link beams. I play reserve mech so Rangers will often be the only thing on the board for the first two turns of the game. I also think 4 troops is too much in an Eldar list, our troops aren't at all versatile like Marines or Orks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

368 (x8)

It doesn't die, where a Prism gets rocked around like an uncared for baby. Playing Reserve Mech in all situations is....not a good idea. Reserving is situational, there's many many armies where it will cost you.

Eldar Troops aren't versatile but they're very good. I don't see how having a respectable number of scoring units is bad, that's why I always slap Eldar around in my games. They have 2-3 Troops, I take them out and I win. Big weakness for the army.

If you insist on always Reserving, sure ignore the Rangers. They're amazing for being so cheap though, just because they're a respectable hold back unit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

101 (x2)

I'm very aware that reserving is situational, I learned that the hard way through losing to Tyranids and Orks a few times because I wasn't on the board to stop their advance. I'll admit, Rangers(more specifically Pathfinders,) are amazing at holding objectives, when they're in cover...the problem is, the GW where I play tournaments at doesn't have much in the way of area terrain, and as a result, I may end up on a table with only a few rock outcrops clustered along the center of the table, leaving my Rangers nothing more than glorified Guardians in Capture and Control missions. As a result of this lack of LOS obstructing terrain, my Fire Prisms often have a very clear view of most of the table, and since I often reserve my army, I can place them wherever my opponent doesn't have AT weapons.

Another question, what army do you use that can swat 3 Wave Serpents out of the sky with ease? I've only had a very small handful of games where the opponent is able to down more than a Wave Serpent or two of mine.
    Last edited by Fleeting Æther; November 23rd, 2009 at 23:05.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

368 (x8)

Ah that sucks about the terrain, lack of terrain makes 40k a very mediocre game. A GW store should have plenty but I'm somehow not surprised.

I just don't like Prisms, most armies have a few long range guns to mess with them. IG has many, Orks have Lootas and Rokkits, 'Nids have a few guns, many armies have Lascannons etc.

They don't die if you slap Holo-Fields on them but they only get one shot a game usually. Just not worth the points from everything I've seen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

101 (x2)

Often times there's not even that much terrain on a tournament table. Last tournament we had 11 tables used, most had about 75% of what's shown on the above pic. I'm bringing in my personal set of 10 cities of death buildings for use in the next tournament, but that will only help a little bit, almost one extra building per table.

Anyways, back on topic of the army list, what exactly is a Scatter Laser Wraithlord going to do other than survive? I mean that's 115 points each for a few shots I could easily put towards a Wave Serpent with most of another squad. Everyone also seems to be so focused on downing my 4+ Wave Serpents that my Fire Prisms are generally ignored. I'm not trying to refuse to use certain units, far from it in fact, I just want to know the relative strengths, weaknesses, and uses of units I've never used in a particular configuration before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

368 (x8)

It's a matter of playstyle. Most armies above 1750, which you're playing in, can shake 2 AV12 vehicles and have guns left over for Serpents. Not EVERY army will but the more popular armies often will.

Wraithlords are a CC threat and a speedbump. The shooting isn't a big deal, obviously. Wraithlords can sit in CC with a squad and keep them busy for a number of turns and they will draw more fire than a Prism, because they have wounds and can't be Shaken obviously. Either way you're paying for a distraction, I'd rather have the bigger distraction that can actually do something else.

I still like Walkers the best, especially with Autarchs. Scatter Lasers into rear armor is a vulgar display of power.

Sorry about your tables, I'm blessed to have a shop with 50+ tables and more terrain than they need. Rep for being cool enough to bring terrain and make the games more fun for everyone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast