Mentors and experienced Necron killers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Murrieta, CA around Torrey Pines and Margarita
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentors and experienced Necron killers

Would someone kindly advice and help me in building a 1300PT army to do away with my friend's Necron army. I've looked everywhere and I don't see anyone else hell-bound as I am for killing those pathetic immortal beings.

My friends army list:

2 UNITS of 10 Warriors
    2 Tomb Spiders
    6 Immortals WITH 1 Naked Necron Lord
    2 Heavy Destroyers
    4 Destroyers
    5 Pariah

I know I need to take out his head first. Kill all of his Destroyers, attack Spiders and Immortals every turn and eliminated them right after I do his Destroyers. Then sweep the board with my Fire Warriors dusting away any of his warriors that are left.

BUT I want to know YOUR experience. What has proven to be most effective out there?

The Greater Good

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Oh No! Not Him Again! Non Marine Player's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    94 (x2)

I'll gladly write you a list, as i do love slaying armies with straight 4 profiles, but i do need to know what you have, or is this fine for you to proxy??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is what my entire army consists of:

1 Commander

3 Stealth

3 Units of 12 Fire Warriors

1 Unit of 12 Kroots and 1 Krootox Rider

6 Gun Drones

6 Pathfinders with 1 Devilfish

1 Broadside

1 Sniper Team

4 Shield Drones (Always put 2 on my HQ and 2 on my Stealth.)

1 Marker Drone (Always with my Stealth)
    The Greater Good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

If you want to effectively fight Necrons then you will need more Crisis suits as they are the best place to get Plasma Rifles.

What is your Broadside equipped with, Smart Missile System or Plasma Rifles?

If you want a list to deal with Necrons effectively then I would recommend Fireknife (Plasma, Missile, Multi-tracker) or Helios (Plasma, Fusion, Multi-tracker) Crisis teams. My preference would be for the Fireknife due to the added range. I would also try to fit in 3 Sniper Drone teams. They aren't as effective in an all-comers list but if you know you will be facing MEQs then the AP3 can be very useful.

When you play remember that the best way to beat Necrons is focused fire and to play for phase out. You will need to have some railguns in your list in order to deal with any monoliths your friend has but you shouldn't waste shots on it as the monolith is expensive and significantly reduces his phase out value.

Oh No! Not Him Again! Non Marine Player's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    94 (x2)

Right then, this is what you can try from what you have:

HQ:
    1 Shas'o
    Plasma Rifle
    Fusion Blaster
    Multi Tracker
    HW Drone controller
    2 Sheild drones
    Stim injector
    Iridium Plates

Troops:
    3 units of 12 fire warriors
    Photon Grenades
    Shas'ui
    drone controller
    2 gun drones

12 Kroot
    Shaper
    6+ save

Elites:
    3 Stealthies
    Targetting arrays
    1 Fusion blaster

Fast Attack:
    6 Pathfinders
    EMP grenades
    Shas'ui
    Drone controller
    2 Sheild drones
    Devilfish
    Disruption Pod

Heavy Support:
    1 Broadside team leader
    Advanced Stabilisation system
    HW drone controller
    Marker drone

1 Sniper drone team

Total - 1301

Why and for what?

I gave the broadside a marker drone mainly due to personal experience. I usually fail my re-roll without that useful little laser guiding my broadside true.

The kroots can outflank, but if you want to sit them in cover with a krootox and shoot stuff, just remove the photon grenades from your fire warriors, as i notice he hasnt really got any assault units.... 'cept pariahs, but they cant use we'll be back....

The stealth team are really just a one hit wonder to be honest. Using the pathfinder devilfish they deepstrike, and help your fire warriors kill some dudes. The stealth field will protect them from anything too bad, and they will die anyway if too much is shot at them, so no real need for the sheild drones. The pathfinders need them for the reasons the stealth team doesnt...

Commander is to kill from the range, jumping around like a spring chicken, and is ver resistant to prety much anything, so he should be capable to wear your mate down like the rest would

If this was me, i would have WAY WAY more crisis suits, but they are quite expensive, so i can see why some people dont have them. I would also consider more sniper teams, maybe to have 3 in one heavy support slot, but this should have enough firepower to deal with any straight 4 profiled enemies (believe me, i am one of 2 people at my local club who dotn use marines/chaos/necrons, and i have beaten all of them, but not necessarily with this sort of list...... or this army........ but i know what im saying here..

EDIT
    Just to say this is something i woud do with these models alone, other peoples choices (and my personal) may be different
    Last edited by Non Marine Player; November 26th, 2009 at 20:18.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp_slug View Post
    If you want to effectively fight Necrons then you will need more Crisis suits as they are the best place to get Plasma Rifles.

What is your Broadside equipped with, Smart Missile System or Plasma Rifles?

If you want a list to deal with Necrons effectively then I would recommend Fireknife (Plasma, Missile, Multi-tracker) or Helios (Plasma, Fusion, Multi-tracker) Crisis teams. My preference would be for the Fireknife due to the added range. I would also try to fit in 3 Sniper Drone teams. They aren't as effective in an all-comers list but if you know you will be facing MEQs then the AP3 can be very useful.

When you play remember that the best way to beat Necrons is focused fire and to play for phase out. You will need to have some railguns in your list in order to deal with any monoliths your friend has but you shouldn't waste shots on it as the monolith is expensive and significantly reduces his phase out value.
    He has TL-PRs
    The Greater Good

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok
    first off ile say i do not have a lot of experience with tau vs necrons, but one suggestion made was Tau FW with photon grenades or something? Seriously, are you stoned mate? lol. your 36 FWs come to more cost than my 48 do.
    Just have each squad with 12 guys and a shas'ui for extra ldrship

at 135points for 12 guys

Theres about 80 or so points already, and if we take away the kroots armour upgrade (they're in cover, come on, how many flamers can necrons get which are AP-, the upgrade is useless) we're up by almost 100 points !!

Also, how many monoliths are in his friends list? 0. no need for EMP nades, and if there were monoliths, how can 4+ save T3 models get to it without getting utterly massacred by everything else, and the monolith itself.
    Pathfinders are meant for their ability to sit in cover, and just point out targets for others to kill.
    So have just 6 @ 72 points and have their devilfish go take some FWs on a trip.

Even though your proposed HQ is a good guy, he isnt really a Tau commander, by means of not doing what a tau commander should. That is, deploy centre fieldish, behind extreme cover, jump out in movement, shoot at something, and then move back behind cover to block LOS in the assault phase. Not only is iridium armour irrelevant to this tactic, it actually hampers it. Since you dont get shot, dont have stim injector, dont have a shas'o, take a shas'el wiht array instead. dont have a fusion blaster either, too short range

Why have i made these alterations you ask? hmm
    lets see
    Oh look at that, we now have close to another 200 points extra which was on wasted items. 200 points of a HH and extra guys or anything. Even though you have limited models, the upgrades which were offered by people who shall remain anonomous have almost no effect at all anyways. your vs necrons

+ Reply to Thread