1750 List, new player - Warhammer 40K Fantasy
 

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!


Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    1 (x0)

    1750 List, new player

    Hi there. New to the site and the last time i played 40k was about 20 years ago so would appreciate some advice.

    I want to field a necron army, would appreciate any advice ...

    HQ
    Necron lord + RO + GoF = 155

    Elites
    Immortals x8 = 224

    Troops
    Warriors x10 = 180
    Warriors x10 = 180
    Warriors x10 = 180

    Fast Attack
    Destroyers x3 = 150
    Destroyers x3 = 150

    Heavy Support
    Tomb Spyders x1 = 55
    Monolith = 235
    Monolith = 235

    Total: 1744

    Please bear in mind that i have yet to buy any models and that i may well have gotten something wrong since i have only been reading the codex. I will am trying to acheieve an army that can shoot the hell out of the enemy and keep teleporting / regenerating long enough to really annoy my enemy

    Thanks in advance.

    Q.


  2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    No Life King Alzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin/Minnesota, USA
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,819
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

    Hello Blaq Sun, welcome to LO! Also, welcome to the Necron Forum. I hope you enjoy your stay here!

    or 1750, your list looks to be pretty well set. Between the core resilience of the Monolith, warriors and Immortals, and the Firepower of the immortals and destroyers, this list should make for some fun games. Not really much I could say that would make it better honestly.

  4. #3
    I Sincerely Want a Parrot counterwavecounter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    462
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x1)

    Not a fan of Monoliths. Their rules make them the most durable vehicle in the game, true, but their damage output is not very good and most of the time people just ignore them. The Portal is nice, but hardly game-breaking, and it's either the Portal or Particle Whip, which reduces their tactical flexibility. I would drop the Monoliths altogether and re-work the list to look something like this:

    HQ: Necron Lord: Veil of Darkness, Resurrection Orb

    The Veil of Darkness gives you an excellent method of capturing/contesting objectives end-game.

    ELITE: 10 Immortals

    Since this is your only unit of Immortals, the more you have the better.

    TROOP: 10 Warriors

    TROOP: 10 Warriors

    TROOP: 10 Warriors

    These are fine!

    FAST ATTACK: 5 Destroyers

    FAST ATTACK: 5 Destroyers

    In 5th edition, Destroyers are the work-horse of the Necron army. Take as many as you can.

    FAST ATTACK: 10 Scarabs w/ Disruption Fields

    These dudes are fantastic for screening your units giving them a 4+ cover save, for turbo-boosting to contest objectives, and for swarming vehicles and glancing them to death. I think every Necron army should have a squad of these guys.

    HEAVY SUPPORT: 2 Tomb Spyders

    Two will give you a larger zone of effect for maintaining WBB saves, (one on each flank), and provide an excellent counter-assault unit.

    TOTAL: 1750
    Last edited by counterwavecounter; December 6th, 2009 at 07:30.
    "The man in the bowler hat is Mr. Average in his anonymity. I, too, wear one; I have no great desire to stand out from the masses." - Rene Magritte

  5. #4
    Senior Member JeremyKyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    322
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

    Don't drop monoliths altogather,they are going to be the most important unit if you want to keep your necron army competitive,the main problem is mech type armys like rhino spam,vendetta,falcon you get the picture, and necrons simply don't have cheap enough anti-tank to do well,i suggest you test out a C'tan mainly the Deceiver he is by far one of the best point for point unit necrons have,also why wouldn't you have the best vehicle (monolith) aswell as a very powerful HQ (Deceiver) then fill the rest with warriors and destroyers.
    Eradicating chav scum since 2005!

  6. #5
    Senior Member the_pariah7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Age
    24
    Posts
    406
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    21 (x1)

    Against mech spam armies, wouldn't the deceiver just become a fire magnet for all of those lascannons and etc?

    This is a good list, can't see where you need to drastically improve. The good thing about having two monoliths is having one to particle whip and the other to portal. So you don't really need to decide between the power matrix abilities.

    If you find that you need more mobile or anti-tank units, it is easy to swap out one of the monoliths and buy 3 heavy destroyers, more destroyers and/or scarab swarms.

    Personally, I think one monolith is fine, provided that you don't deepstrike it into the middle of the enemy forces. I'd consider using the points from the second monolith to add one more destroyer to each squadron, get about 7-8 scarab swarms with D-fields and fill out the immortals squad if you can. Any leftover points could be used to get another tomb spyder if you can.

    Just my thoughts.

    EDIT:
    Rather than making a new post, I'll just answer PrinceChimera here.

    I suppose its not a bad thing and it is quite valuable if it spares your destroyers and monoliths. My only concern is the points sink in the unlikely event that save rolls are really bad and you lose it before it does anything.

    Then again, I'm yet to field a deceiver in a real game so I'll just see how it goes and then offer my opinion and observations.
    Last edited by the_pariah7; December 7th, 2009 at 01:24.
    Necrons W68-D13-L10 (3rd edition codex)
    Necrons W3-D1-L1 (latest codex)
    Skaven still being assembled

  7. #6
    Senior Member JeremyKyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    322
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

    Quote Originally Posted by the_pariah7 View Post
    Against mech spam armies, wouldn't the deceiver just become a fire magnet for all of those lascannons and etc?
    And thats a bad thing ?.

    Even lascannon don't do much to the deceiver he will just shrug it off with a 4+ invun and if he is wasteing shots on your c'tan then his a idiot,which almost means free shots from monolith,destroyers etc.
    Eradicating chav scum since 2005!

  8. #7
    I Sincerely Want a Parrot counterwavecounter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    462
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x1)

    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceChimera View Post
    Don't drop monoliths altogether,they are going to be the most important unit if you want to keep your Necron army competitive.
    I have yet to witness a dual-Monolith army win consistently, they certainly don't hold up well at Grand Tournaments. I've never been to a Grand Tournament, but I've watched a lot of U-Tube videos of first-hand accounts and in every instance the dual-Monolith always loses. It's a viable build at 2500, but at 1750 dual-Monoliths take up way too many points.
    Last edited by counterwavecounter; December 7th, 2009 at 04:38.
    "The man in the bowler hat is Mr. Average in his anonymity. I, too, wear one; I have no great desire to stand out from the masses." - Rene Magritte

  9. #8
    This is for the haters... CrownAxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,308
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

    Quote Originally Posted by counterwavecounter View Post
    I have yet to witness a dual-Monolith army win consistently, they certainly don't hold up well at Grand Tournaments. I've never been to a Grand Tournament, but I've watched a lot of U-Tube videos of first-hand accounts and in every instance the dual-Monolith always loses. It's a viable build at 2500, but at 1750 dual-Monoliths take up way too many points.
    I've seen plenty of of Twin Tower list do incredibly well at 1750. I ran it in a 1750 Elimination tournament and got 4th place eliminating DH, Orks and Eldar

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

    CrownAxe there showing us that it's the general that really makes the win, not the list! There is a lot to be said for how you use a list, regardless of whether it's optimised for the "best" units or not.

    I think the double monolith could be really fun to use, as such I'd be more than happy to use the original list, although it is something I haven't tried yet as I've only got one monolith (that I'm still tinkering with!).

    I'd be quite interested in how you'd use the list, I'd imagine it would work quite well as a Phalanx with Monoliths and Destroyers on the flanks, the Tomb Spyder and Lord in the middle to cover everything and some clever formations from the Warriors and Immortals so that they're always in range of something to help WBB but not too clumped together to get pie plated horribly. Anything which got close would first have to weather the gauss storm, then if it assaults the squad that was charged gets teleported out + re-rolls, the enemy unit left behind gets rapid fired AND particle whipped, anything left standing after that then get charged by the tomb spyder. Have to make good use to terrain to stop multiple squads getting charged though, and of course that phalanx might not be a good move against large numbers of pie plates from mech imperial guard. Still, I like the possibilities!

  11. #10
    Senior Member JeremyKyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    322
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

    Quote Originally Posted by counterwavecounter View Post
    I have yet to witness a dual-Monolith army win consistently, they certainly don't hold up well at Grand Tournaments. I've never been to a Grand Tournament, but I've watched a lot of U-Tube videos of first-hand accounts and in every instance the dual-Monolith always loses. It's a viable build at 2500, but at 1750 dual-Monoliths take up way too many points.
    Then your using necrons all wrong,dual monolith is the best thing necrons have,ever heard of the feared "necron roadblock" the 1 with 3 monoliths that constantly dominated tournaments tau players had to bring 9 broadsides just to counter it ?.

    Quote Originally Posted by Malagate View Post
    CrownAxe there showing us that it's the general that really makes the win, not the list! There is a lot to be said for how you use a list, regardless of whether it's optimised for the "best" units or not.

    I think the double monolith could be really fun to use, as such I'd be more than happy to use the original list, although it is something I haven't tried yet as I've only got one monolith (that I'm still tinkering with!).

    I'd be quite interested in how you'd use the list, I'd imagine it would work quite well as a Phalanx with Monoliths and Destroyers on the flanks, the Tomb Spyder and Lord in the middle to cover everything and some clever formations from the Warriors and Immortals so that they're always in range of something to help WBB but not too clumped together to get pie plated horribly. Anything which got close would first have to weather the gauss storm, then if it assaults the squad that was charged gets teleported out + re-rolls, the enemy unit left behind gets rapid fired AND particle whipped, anything left standing after that then get charged by the tomb spyder. Have to make good use to terrain to stop multiple squads getting charged though, and of course that phalanx might not be a good move against large numbers of pie plates from mech imperial guard. Still, I like the possibilities!

    Malagate the thing that makes the win is the MONOLITH! the fact you can re-roll broken down units is still greatyou can still deep strike into your monolith onto a objective teleport your warriors and bam you've contested or controlled,particle whip is still 1 of the best weapons necrons have,and i have yet or ever seen balanced necron lists do well in GT's,go use your balanced list against dual lash combo and tell me how you do.

    Quote Originally Posted by CrownAxe View Post
    I've seen plenty of of Twin Tower list do incredibly well at 1750. I ran it in a 1750 Elimination tournament and got 4th place eliminating DH, Orks and Eldar

    CrownAxe has hit the nial on the head,if your not running dual monolith in 5th or atleast 1 monolith your using the army wrong.
    Last edited by JeremyKyle; December 7th, 2009 at 15:09.
    Eradicating chav scum since 2005!

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts