total 40k newb my cron 1000pt list HELP! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

total 40k newb my cron 1000pt list HELP!

okay so im totaly new the whole 40k scene and i was atracted to the necrons as my first army i typed up a list but i do not know how this will perform on the tabletop okay so here is the list
    Necron army list
    HQ
    Necron lord with
    Phase shifter
    Phylactery
    Res orb
    Warscythe
    Total 185points
    ELITES
    -----
    TROOPS
    11 warriors
    11 warriors
    FAST ATTACK
    3 wraiths
    4 Destroyers
    3 scarab swarms
    HEAVY SUPPORT
    1 Tomb spyder

i wasnt sure if i was allowed to post unit ugrade points and such so i deleted them for fear of the ban hammer

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

Welcome to LO Zurcas, And welcome to the Necron Tomb!

I wouldn't bring out the hammer if you posted points costs (just edit them out) though not posting them at all is fine.

Your list lacks focus. It seems you are trying to bring too many combat and shooting elements together, and in this format I don't see it being terribly succesful.
    Rule of thumb, either take wraiths, or take destroyers, but don't take both. This way you can field two squads (or three) which will dramatically increase the effectiveness of either unit.

3 scarabs, honestly, aren't going to do diddly in 5ed. It's unfortunate but really they are best left at home, unless you take at least 6 (or even more in higher points).

Your lord also seems to be a little overdressed for a 1k party. A simple res orb, and warscythe if you so desire, should be all he needs. Necron lords are support leaders, not combat monsters the way so many other races' are. In 1k, it may work, as their comprable power is increased, but there may be better things to do with your points. I'd try both ways and see what you prefer honestly.

So either,
    Drop your wraiths, cheapen up the lord, and grab another destroyer squad.
    or.
    Drop your destroyers, grab another squad of wraiths, another tombspyder and bulk up your scarabs.

Honestly I suppose a pair of destroyer squads, and a wraith squad could work at 1k, wraiths make excellent vehicle hunters in 5ed, especially when you aren't going to be seeing TO many heavy vehicles.
    Also, Army List threads should go in the appropriate army list subforum. I have moved your thread over just this once.
    Next time may incur tomato throwing and a sandwich board sign that says "I posted in the wrong forum."
    Thanks
    Alzer
    Last edited by Alzer; December 5th, 2009 at 08:08.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice mate. I see where you're going with the whole focusing of my army, in all honesty the only reason I included the scarabs at all was because they came with my necron warriors, so for the sake of saving money and all that jazz I think that might get the extra destroyer squad or two as you suggested but wouldn't that mean that I would have no close combat unit? I don't know about you but the thought of a massive ork horde chopping my preciously painted and nutured necrons to little pieces is slightly offensive.

Okie so here is what I came up with;

Necron army list
    HQ
    Necron lord with
    Phylactery
    Res orb
    Warscythe
    Total 165
    ELITES
    -----
    TROOPS
    10 warriors 180 points
    10 warriors 180 points
    Total 360
    FAST ATTACK
    5 Destroyers 250 points
    4 destroyers 200 points
    Total 450
    HEAVY SUPPORT
    1 Tomb spyder xx points
    Last edited by Alzer; December 5th, 2009 at 18:08. Reason: double post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ehm, this looks like a nice list to me, but I'm sure you cant post induvidial point costs. And the rezzorb is 10 points more ^^
    Last edited by Alzer; December 5th, 2009 at 18:09. Reason: Don't quote posts that are breaking the rules!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

Alright.
    Zurcas, I'll run over this for you now, though I feel it would be good if you had a look through of the rules. First, the "no posting points" applies to upgrades and un-upgraded units.
    I.E. you may post the total cost of your Necron Lord including all wargear, however you may not post the cost of each piece of wargear and/or the lord's base points.
    Second, textspeak is prohibited. Type out full words, use punctuation, and practice proper grammar.
    Third, instead of double-posting, utilize the edit button on the bottom right-hand corner of your posts (it is the pencil-over envelope icon).
    Fourth, please do not format your text in-post except for simple emphasis, having a half-capped triple sized, bold post is rather disruptive.

I've combined, and edited your posts, please be mindful of these things in the future.

@FKellog, if you think someone is breaking the rules, please don't quote it, that makes two posts for me to edit!

Thank You
    Alzer

Oh also, Zurcas, your points were wrong on your lord and warriors, so I went ahead and edited those for you, your list comes to 1030.
    For combating Orks, Necron Combat units really just are not powerful enough to hold hordes off, out-maneuvering and shooting them to death is pretty much one of the only way to take them down.
    Tomb Spyders are generally rather effective, having 1-2 around is great at 1k.
    9 Destroyers at 1k seems a bit heavy-handed to me. It will work, but seems a little over-the top.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eh, the list is fine.

However, I would make some slight changes.

I'd swap out the phlactery for Gaze of Flame, the negated charging bonus for opponents makes all the difference when trying to survive horde attacks and close combat in general. And the -1 leadership modifier helps when trying to get the enemy to fall back (won't really work on orks or tyranids).

At 1000pts, I'd just have 2 squadrons of 4 destroyers, making it a total of 8. But depending on the opponent, I would even consider dropping a further 1 or 2 destroyers.

If the 2-3 destroyers are dropped, you can field an additional tomb spyder and a scarab swarm with disruption fields. Scarab swarms are invaluable as they can move quickly, have lots of attacks and wounds at T3 and a fairly cheap for what they can do. Many people underestimate or overlook what scarabs can do.

Tomb spyders are very survivable when you spawn ONE scarab swarm base only. Thanks the "if no majority exists, use the highest toughness" rule. This means you have a monstrous creature at T6 with 4-5 wounds, all for 55pts. Bargain I say. And provided you don't kill the spyder, you can replenish those wounds by spawning another scarab swarm after the previous one has been killed.

But the important thing is that you need to get some games under your belt, experience it for yourself and find what works for you.

Just my thoughts.
    Necrons W68-D13-L10 (3rd edition codex)
    Necrons W3-D1-L1 (latest codex)
    Skaven still being assembled

+ Reply to Thread