1250 Doubles Tournament POLL!!! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1250 Doubles Tournament POLL!!!

Hey everybody. So I'm getting ready for a tourney in two weeks that I won in September with my Chaos Space Marines and my friends Nids. Between now and then I have been working on my beastmen Imperial Guard and my new Necrons (which just won me a paint competition and an old box of Skaven clanrats I have absolutely no idea what to do with...) After much tinkering and thinking I have decided to keep my tourney-winning marines on the shelf and put off finishing my guard until after the tourney, so I will be taking my crons. The rules of the tournament are pretty simple and straightforward: Normal Force Org, 1250 point maximum per player, two players per team, 3 games per team round robin style, special win conditions change each round (tabling is automatic win with full points awarded), overall winners of the tourney will be determined based upon points total after all games have ended, breakdown of 3 points for a loss, 5 points for a tie, 7 points for a win, additional points added depending upon mission conditions. All in all, not too complicated. The armies that will be showing up are sure to be varied with many of the typical tourney cheese lists making appearances (Genestealer Horde, Ork Horde w/ ordnance, Dual Lash lists, Tank Heavy IG, etc. etc. etc.) As far as tactics are concerned, I am very new to Necrons, however I am a 7+ year veteran of 40k and have played enough games against necrons with my Orks, Chaos Marines, IG, Grey Knights and Dark Eldar that I'm not too concerned about learning how to play from the other side of the table and have an intimate knowledge of what scares the hell out of a Necron General's Opponent. My partner is going to be either a Deathwing Termie player that will bring a few squads of deepstriking termies, but mostly a lot of scouts and a drop pod dreadnought, or the same Tyranid player I won the tournament with last time who favors Carnivores, Zoanthropes, Genestealers and Devogaunts.

Below are two lists. I am unsure which I will be using, but I would like to know what you guys think. Be sure to take into consideration partners and any crazy opponent lists you can think of (They just might show up, and if they probably wont I'll tell you as much). Thanks very much in advance guys, and in the mean time be sure to have a happy new years.

JL

List #1:

Necron Lord w/ Resurrection Orb
    4 Destroyers
    2 Heavy Destroyers
    10 Necron Warriors
    10 Necron Warriors
    10 Necron Warriors
    Monolith

List #2:

Necron Lord w/ Resurrection Orb, Warscythe & Destroyer Body
    4 Destroyers
    4 Destroyers
    2 Heavy Destroyers
    10 Necron Warriors
    10 Necron Warriors
    10 Necron Warriors

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

So I played a 1k each tourny where I had necrons and he had Nids. He brought super tooled out genestealers and outflanked 3 squads. They had rending, S6 attacks, the works. The idea was, I went shooty (Necron strong pt), and he went CC. We came in 2nd, we had a draw against 2 guard players with all mech (cheese list). I would say you don't really need Heavies' but it's your call (and likely to be the first thing shot out of the sky). Since yours is 1250 you could add the monolith or whatever you see fit. But tons of destroyers was AWSOME with his CC focused list. So I'd vote 2nd list, but I'd lose a squad of warriors (since they reallky kinda suck) and manipulate those points (more Destroyers, another heavy D, try to get the lith back, etc). However, I probably wouldn't take a lith and focus on more Necron type models (not Warriors though).

I brought the following:
    Lord+Orb
    10 Warriors
    10 Warriors
    5 Destroyers
    5 Destroyers
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm...
    I might go for a mixture here. Heavy destroyers are not really my first choice, the points can be better spent but its your call. For 1250pts, I find the following list quite favourable:
    Lord (in whatever role with ResOrb)
    10 Warriors
    10 Warriors
    4 Destroyers
    4 Destroyers
    1 Monolith

which leaves 115pts to get scarabs or get D body for the lord. Whatever else. Depending on the opponent and the mission, you can potentially keep one warrior unit off table to avoid being PO'd by turn 2-3. The monolith can block LOS to your units until they get in range. Or if you're feeling brave, you can drop the lord and a destroyer (risky I know) and pitch the Deceiver in. The Deceiver can do a LOT in 1250pt split games and often becomes a fire magnet which allows you and your ally's units to march relatively unmolested. Obviously, the trick here is to keep one warrior unit off-table and the other behind the monolith or somewhere nice and safe to keep PO in check while the destroyers and Deceiver wreak havoc. It requires smart play but can really work if you can pull it off.
    Necrons W68-D13-L10 (3rd edition codex)
    Necrons W3-D1-L1 (latest codex)
    Skaven still being assembled

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

Deceiver

10 warriors

11 warriors