1000pt. Tyranid 5th ed. DS list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000pt. Tyranid 5th ed. DS list

As a disclaimer, this is my first attempt at making a Tyranid army, let alone with the new codex.

HQ
    Hive Tyrant - 265
    (Dual Scything Talons, Wings, Adrenal Glands, Hive Commander, Paroxysm, Psychic Scream)

Elites
    Zoanthrope - 110
    w/ Mycetic Spore (Cluster Spines)

Troops
    Warriors x3 - 185
    (Scything Talons, Boneswords, Adrenal Glands)
    w/ Mycetic Spore (Cluster Spines)

Genestealers x8 - 112

Hormagaunts x16 - 128
    (Toxin sacs)

Heavy Support
    Trygon - 200

Total: 1000

Initially I wasn't going to include the Trygon in 1000 pts. But I think with the style of play I'm aiming for (in their face), having another MC besides the Flyrant to draw fire seemed to outweigh the cons of the points cost. The Tyrant gives +1 to reserves rolls, and I can elect to have the Hormies outflank, or enter from table edge (Trygon hole) depending on the situation.

Genestealers flank obviously, everything else drops in on the enemy. Hoping the warriors will cause some pain to enemy elites, the Zoan is obviously there for anti-tank, though I'm sad I could only fit a single one in.

Anyways, I think the strategy is pretty obvious: in-their-face destruction. I'm looking for lots of feedback though, as I'm sure this list can be improved upon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

humble bump, for great justice.

Going to battle with this today and looking for any last-minute tweaks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry I read your list too late, and I won't be able to respond before you play today. Let me know how the game goes though and I'd love to give you any advice I can on how to make your list a little bit better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright, so I just got home from today's battle, using my original list above. The mission was kill points, deployment was pitched battle, and my opponent was Blood Angels.

His list included, roughly:
    - Dante
    - 3x Death Company
    - 10man Tactical Squad w/ flamer/rocket
    ---- (in a Rhino)
    - 5man Assault squad w/ fist
    - 5man Termies w/ fists and sgt. w/ p.sword
    - Baal Predator
    - Furioso Dreadnaut

I won the rolloff, but passed turn 1 to him. He deployed, I reserved everything. (I went ahead and reserved the flyrant, later deepstriking him as per jump infantry. But the codex says he "moves like jump infantry" so I'm not sure this was legal. oops!). My opponent reserved his termies, and placed everything else along his table edge, fairly spread out.

Turn 1: My opponent moves a little, scratches his head.
    Turn 2: His turn is the same. On my turn everything but my Warriors and Hormies come in. Genestealers outflank and assault his poorly placed assault squad (again, need a rules clarification; I can't deep strike and assault, but nowhere in reserves or outflanking rules does it prohibit assaulting, that I could see). My single Zoanthrope hops out of the spore and gets a destroyed-explodes on his Baal Predator (much to his annoyance). The Trygon comes up in the middle, near the assault squad. Genestealers roll the assault squad losing no casualties.

Turn 3: Termies land, but too far, so they spend the turn moving. My opponent rushes Dante in to assault my Genestealers, which was an epic sight, though he got eaten up and killed only one genestealer. He rushes his rhino over towards my Trygon/Zoanthrope/Flyrant (lawl), hops out his tactical squad and pops the Zoanthrope, takes a missile shot at the Trygon and does 1 wound to it. He moves his Dreadnaut closer to the fighting. On my round the warriors and hormies come in. The warriors drop near his termies (far enough to ensure I charge), and hide behind the spore for cover. The hormies flood out of the Trygon tunnel and mass, ready to pounce on that tactical squad. My Genestealers assaulted his Death Company and rolled them.

Turn 4: My opponent attempts to flee with his rhino from the hormagaunts, leaving his squad behind for some reason. To its credit, the squad does shoot and wipe out a good 8-10 hormies. His dread inches closer, hoping to take on the coming genestelers. My flyrant swoops to catch his rhino, rips it apart. My hormies assault the tactical squad, just to tie them up. I do kill 2 marines on the charge though. The Warriors charge the termies and kill 3, and inflict a wound on the sergeant (mmm boneswords), then one warrior gets powerfisted at S8 in the face, causing instant death to him (oops). Two warriors and two terminators are left toe-to-toe. My Genestealers charge his dreadnaut and I get two Penetrate values of 13, and roll a 6 on the vehicle damage chart, and roll over the Dreadnaut.

Turn 5: My opponent has precious little left, and everything that is, is in combat. So we resolve that. I finish his terminators without losing another warrior. My hormies get wiped, but I run the trygon in and finish the marines. In the end I have 8 kill points and he got 3.

So it was a pretty epic win for the nids. This is my first game playing nids, and his 2nd time playing blood angels, and 40k in general. So I definitely recognize those factors in this win. With more experience, I think he would have fared better. His list could have used a bit more shooty too, but meh.

MVP? Genestealers. My unit of 8, un-upgraded Genestealers (112 pts) ripped through his assault squad (140pts?), Dante (200 pts), 3 Death Company (techincally free, but otherwise 90 pts), and a Furioso Dreadnaut (100 pts). By the 5th turn they would have assaulted again but there was nothing left in their path of destruction.

Surprisingly my Flyrant didn't do much. He killed a rhino, and 3 or 4 marines. I love the concept of the flyrant, but for 265 points I could have another 16+ genestealers That being said, my opponent's fear of both the trygon and the Flyrant drew fire away from the stealers, letting them do their job. So maybe there is a balance.

Anyways, I think the list was successful. I think it is potentially very vulnerable to a shooty army, and that is the major downside. But I think with some advanced tactics that could be worked with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice report, I enjoyed it, but it seems you were very lucky with dice!!!

The probability of the solo Zontrahope to destroy the Predator in one shot is 17,5% (psychic test + hit + penetrate + 5/6 to destroy it)

The probablility of the 8 "vanilla" Genoraptor to slain a Dreddy are 29,52% (1,23% for each attack) b/c you have to hit him, obtain 6 for rending, obatin 5/6 for 13 penetrating hits, and again 5/6 to destroy it...

I would rather used the Hive Tyrant to destroy it (148% probability to destroy it)...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I admit I was getting a little cocky towards the end with the stealers vs. dread. And yeah, the dice gods smiled upon me, that's for sure.

EDIT: Oh, and technically by the time they were assaulting the dread, there were only 7 stealers I rolled 21 dice for hit, quite a bit hit. I ended up rolling I think 5 or 6 rending 6's. And from those two got an additional 5-6 to beef up to 13 pen. And yes, I rolled a 6 for destroyed-explodes. Just mad rolling, but I think I instilled a fear of genstealers in my opponent than will not soon be forgotten.
    Last edited by elfneck; February 1st, 2010 at 10:26.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 warriors that are subject to instant death are no good. Drop them for a tervigon or something.
    WH 40k Armies (W/L/D):
    Tyranid: 2250 Points of Awesome (5/4/1)
    Necrons: 1000 Points (4/0/1)

+ Reply to Thread