1500pts new to dark eldar. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x2)

1500pts new to dark eldar.

I've decided to start dark eldar as my showcase army but I still want them to be competitive. I really like the models of warriors, raiders, wyches and ravagers so I think I have spammed them in this list (if this is a mistake then please correct me, lots of list include them so they seem competetive). I'm not running fast attack as more than half the lists fast anyway and they don't seem that good. Anyway heres the list (it looks to me like it has too many models in it but that may be because I'm a marine player).

Hq 216
    Dracon w/ punisher and tormentor helm
    Retinue of 3 Incubi and 2 warriors with splinter cannons
    Raider

Troops 552
    10 Warriors w/ 2 Dark Lances
    10 Warriors w/ splinter cannon, syrabite, agoniser, blaster, raider
    10 Warriors w/ splinter cannon, syrabite, agoniser, blaster, raider

Heavy Support 360
    Ravager w/ 3 Disintegrators

Elites 374
    10 Wyches w/ plasma grenades, wych weapons, succubus, agoniser, raider
    10 Wyches w/ plasma grenades, wych weapons, succubus, agoniser, raider

I'm working on the theory that if a squad of something is good, why not take two? My only worries are
    a) the list may be called spam (which doesn't worry me that much)
    b) am i lacking anti-tank? I only have 4 dark lances, is this enough?
    c) Have i got the point costs right?

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

The foot warriors with splintercannon do not need sybarites - they will not save the squad from getting smushed by anything tougher than guardsmen and you've suddenly upped the units cost by 25% for virtually nothing.

However your concern about lances isn't truly jsutified as the raider is an excellent lance paltform, the problem this list will have (as does a lot of wych focused lists) is that you can very easily get your mobile lances destroyed quickly because the raiders are high priority targets.

The approach I took to solve this issue (other than fewer wych squads, but that is jsut me) is to take a small raider squad (8 strong in my case) with blaster and splintercannon and a riader - it covers all bases perfectly and is only 130ish points. With them not carrying anything truly monstrous they can easily be ignored for the real threats - the wyche's and archon's raiders.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Sancraer View Post
    b) am i lacking anti-tank? I only have 4 dark lances, is this enough?
    You have another 5 on your raiders, so you have 9 lances and 2 blasters, that should be enough but i'd drop the wytch squads down to 9 models and add a duo of blasters to each squad, call it insurance. This will give you a few extra points, enough to put a goblet of spite on one of your wytch Succubuses.

The Emperor Protects
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

81 (x2)

Just looked at the list and realised there are only 7 wyches in each squad, I changed the points without changing the squad number. Thanks for pointing out the DLs on the raiders, forgot about them.

Outsider: who are you referring to when you say "The foot warriors with splintercannon do not need sybarites" The footslogging warriors don't have a syrabite or splintercannon, they have dark lances. If I confused you by putting warriors instead of raider then I'm sorry.

I'll have another look at the list and try and put your comments into effect.
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x6)

For the retinue, you could consider dropping down to 2 Incubi and adding 3 more Warriors. The unit will still be quite effective against most troop units that aren't crazy good in CC (that's what the Wyches are for), and your Dracon & Incubi will generally last longer with more meatshields.

And you can never have enough DLs, so you may find that you'll want one on each Ravager for added flexibility and anti-tank support.

And I agree with Outsider, the Sybarites aren't necessary on the Raider squads. The only way a Sybarite can carry a squad of Warriors to victory is if he has combat drugs, and that's a lot of points to spend when keeping them shooty is so much cheaper.

--•-My 40K projects-•--

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Sancraer View Post

Outsider: who are you referring to when you say "The foot warriors with splintercannon do not need sybarites" The footslogging warriors don't have a syrabite or splintercannon, they have dark lances. If I confused you by putting warriors instead of raider then I'm sorry.

Thanks
    I can't read, the splintercannon raider squads is who I was referring too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not a DE player (Space Marines) but I do play against the m regularly and the biggest pain in my side are Grotesques. I rarely have St. 6+ guns on mass so this unit just wonders around the board doing what it likes. With your list a SM player would have to focus SO much plasma/melta/assault cannon fire at them that your Raiders and Ravagers will get to where they need to go. Aside from that, I like your list, look pretty good to me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by enigma462 View Post
    I am not a DE player (Space Marines) but I do play against the m regularly and the biggest pain in my side are Grotesques. I rarely have St. 6+ guns on mass so this unit just wonders around the board doing what it likes. With your list a SM player would have to focus SO much plasma/melta/assault cannon fire at them that your Raiders and Ravagers will get to where they need to go. Aside from that, I like your list, look pretty good to me.
    The problem with grotesques is that they die normally in combat, they may be resistant to shooting but in combat they truly are nothing special, and the focus of DE lists is generally using their speed to get close. Grotesques would be much better if they were able to capture objectives.

The Emperor Protects
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x6)

Some interesting suggestions.

I am curious why everyone likes the Dracon – even if you are trying to save points the Dracon is worth any investment you can afford. I do not mind the punisher and t-helm but the other necessities are combat drugs, plasma grenades and even a trophy rack as the retinue starts to die off. If you are purposely trying to save points then go with the agoniser/pistol as this will save points and strength will not be an issue.

Not crazy about the mixed retinue – making this squad shooty will just cause you problems, you’ll either kill the models in your charge radius or you will cause a morale check and they’ll run out of charge range. If you are really sold on putting warriors in your incubi retinue then just use them plain as a meat shield for that is all they are good for.

As for the wyches – I would easily drop them until they have 2 blasters in each squad so I would ditch one wych per squad. You can go as low as 8 wyches and not lose much offense. The blasters are not for popping armor but for popping marines – the blasters give the wyches a presence in the shooting phase as it is much easier to kill a marine with a blaster than it is to “slap” them. Later in the game, the blasters do come in handy as that pesky rhino, wave serpent or devil fish will just have to die and all those freaking disintegrators will just not do much. I also would not count on those sniper squads to do much – they will never survive a game let alone be around in the last turns to be able to provide any support – I will let experience be your teacher there.

I also think the sybarites would need plasma grenades if you want your agoniser to hit in initiative order – don’t waste that wonderful initiative. Another add would be a horrorfex on the raiders but that is more of an advanced item for more seasoned players – the fex could allow you to strike in initiative order for the whole squad when they charge into cover. I know you got wyches to do the assaulting but I think outfitting the raider squads will give you better support and make them well rounded.

I would also change one ravager to a 3 lance version – no, this list is not anti-tank crazy. I think the list too geared for crowd control and when that land raider army comes along you will find that the sniper squads either in the wrong position or shot up on the first turn. Even mechanized Eldar or Tau will roll this list over and you will wish you had more dark matter weaponry.

Just my 2 cents.
    "On a hunch, I melted them down and inhaled the fumes and read the dark eldar codex again, AND FOUND A BUNCH OF NEW RULES HIDDEN BEHIND THE OTHER WORDS..." [Gardeth on modelling & interpreting the DE Codex]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

81 (x2)

Okay, thanks for everyones comments. Based on what you've said I've changed the list but I'm 99pts short and have no clue what to do with it.

So, 1401pts (should be 1500):

Hq 162
    Dracon w/ punisher, combat drugs, plasma grenades and tormentor helm
    Retinue of 3 Incubi
    Raider

Troops 500
    10 Raiders w/ splinter cannon, blaster, raider
    10 Raiders w/ splinter cannon, blaster, raider

Heavy Support 345
    Ravager

Elites 394
    8 Wyches w/ plasma grenades, wych weapons, succubus, agoniser, 2 Blasters raider
    8 Wyches w/ plasma grenades, wych weapons, succubus, agoniser, 2 Blasters raider

I was thinking of maybe upgrading the dracons retinue, adding some wargear to the squads + vechiles but I don't know. Suggestions please?
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast