Space Marine Help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Space Marine Help

I have trouble against space marines even in the new edition. Any tips at a good space marine counter, what kills them best, and maybe a list? My friend loves to use his power fists against me... Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What specifically do you have the most trouble dealing with. Are you having trouble with tanks, Terminators, regular marines, marine bikes, or all of the above?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His power fists killing my t4 warriors instantly, wasting a lot of points. His librarian's psychic power that ignores armor saves as well was trouble. It was out of range of any shadow in the warp.

UnderWater Ninja-Tiger .. Xpyre35's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    147 (x3)

My best suggestion is upgrade a smaller brood of warriors with boneswords. Hidden fists will not be a problem then.

Larger broods of Warriors take Adrenal Glands, and get the charge. You may lose a warrior or two, but you should crush any 10man squad out there.

Another is to multi-charge his tacticals, get his Sgt. in base with another squad. Then the fist can't hit your warriors.

Another thing to try is to get some shooting on the tacticals prior to assault. Careful with this, if the SM commander is cunning, they will choose to fail their morale and fall back out of assault range.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had 3 warriors with bonesword/whip and scything talons after mycetic sporing. The 5 marines charged I got my attacks in killing 3. His 4 fist attacks from the charge killed all three wariors. I don't feel like I got my points worth from them.

So if I multi assault why would his fists be useless? Also you can choose to fail marale? Even fearless?

UnderWater Ninja-Tiger .. Xpyre35's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    147 (x3)

First, if you dropped a pod near this 5 man unit, did you shoot at this unit (with another unit, or the 6 shots from the pod itself)? And cause no wounds? [I realize the pod could have drifted further than 6" away from the 5-man unit.]

Second, how did he get 4 fist attacks? Most from a Sgt. would be 3.

Thirdly, He got some incredible rolls then. Needing 4+ to hit, hitting all 3 is not easy.

In general, I wouldn't send 3 warriors at anything by themselves, especially with no ranged weaponry out of a pod. You're asking for them to get pounded on. You gave the other player the perfect opportunity to use a powerful weapon. You'll keep hidden power fists in mind from now on, that's a punishing lesson. But its not the Tyranid Warriors' (as a unit) fault.

Attacking with multiple units limit the models in base to base to only swing at the unit they are in base to base with.

Example: If you have two broods assault the same tactical squad, lets say a gaunt brood and the warrior brood, assault with the gaunts first, get one in B2B with the Sgt. then move the warriors. His Sgt can then only target the gaunt brood till they are all dead. Needless to say 13 tyranids v 5 man tactical is over kill, but the same method can be used with Lictors or against larger Tactical squads.

Additionally, with Warriors you are going to want to get that charge. Let your opponent break the 12" barrier then assault him. Or bring his numbers down so when you strike at initiative you have enough wounds to kill off the buried P. Fist.
    Last edited by Xpyre35; January 26th, 2010 at 01:55.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know much about other armies it was probably three attacks. Regardless he killed all three warriors with one model as cheap as that sounds. Anyway I decided that warriors are not an effective choice against space marines. If you want them to be effective you need to rely on the enemy to get in 12 inches of assault range and I figure that is not reliable.

What I would like to know is a strategy that worked in RL against space marines. Even my trygon didn't last very long (4 wounds on the first enemy shooting phase after tunneling).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

*Double Posts Eliminated*

Unless this thread starts getting into army lists, I'm going to move it to the Tyranid forum proper instead of the Army Lists form.

Alzer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have run across this problem myself many times. The answer to instant death powerfist attacks is not to use multi-wound models against them. Here are some ideas:

Against regular marines squads, use Genestealers, Hormagaunts upgraded with toxin sacs, and Termagaunts upgraded with toxin sacs. Always get the toxin sacs for the gaunts because they will always wound on 4+. Hormagaunts especially will tear up marines with 3 attacks a piece on the charge rerolling 1's to hit and wounding on 4's. If you have the points to spare give the genestealers toxin sacs as well, but it you can't afford it its ok.

Against Terminators only use Genestealers. If you use Tyranid warriors, Raveners, Carnifexes, or any other multi-wound model, you are either going to lose the combat because he scored more wounds with instant death, or you will be wiped out. So don't use multi-wound models against Terminators unless you have no other choice. Also, big units of gaunts are effective against terminators, but you are more likely to just tie them up as opposed to killing them.

As far as dealing with psykers, the Tyranids have a handy dandy solution for them and its called the Deathleaper. I know that he is expensive, but lets see that Librarian make his psychic tests at minus D3 leadership. The trick with the Deathleaper is that you need to make sure you keep him alive. Also, he is really handy for objective missions. Put him down close to an objective being held by your opponent on turn 5 or 6 and then run him over to it and contest it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Genestealers own terminators im a marine player and when they come in i focus my fire on them to keep them from wiping out my troops or elite choices. Also ive had a genestealer squad own my special character such as lysander and calgar. Fexs dont do to well against alot of SM stuff but can be effective if kept away from scouts, terminators, sepcial characters. Most SM playeers dont use librarians. Terminators might be nasty in CC vs you but many of your heavy weapons own them. Also a simple solution vs power fist ishive tyrant with gaurd he will own the terminators but manliy use genstealers.
    Space marines 6 dread army Wins: 4 ties:2 Loses:7 Modified Standard nilla marines Wins:37 Ties:8 Loses 42 Daemonhunters Wins:3 Ties:0 Loses:1 Full assualt concept army wins: 6 Ties: none Loses: 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast