2k wraithlist need help finishing up - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

2k wraithlist need help finishing up

OK, my friend has left me his eldar wraith army for a few weeks and I feel compelled to use it as it is far to good looking to leave in a closet. Now I know wraith is not the most competitive but I want to feild a list that can cause some headaches. Here is what I have so far.

HQ
    Eldrad 2**
    Yriel 1**

Troops
    10 wraithguard 396
    warlock, conceal, spiritseer

10 wraithguard 396
    warlock, conceal spiritseer

10 stormguardians 127
    2 flamers, warlock, destructor

waveserpent 130
    TL EML, spiritstones

HS
    Wraithlord 155
    Brightlance, EML, 2 flamers

Wraithlord 155

Wraithlord 155

comes out to 1869 so far. The general idea is a wall of wraithguard being fortuned by eldrad with yriel ready to jump out and eye the first serious melee threat. The lords are there for ranged AT to keep some of the big guns from hammering the wraith wall as it advances. Stormguardians were added for another scoring unit ( with some speed ) and the triple flamer can hopefully slow down a swarm army.

Now as the title states I need some help with the rest of the points. I could grab a group of yo yo hawks to get a few more templates to thin swarms ( and put those lovely models on the table ). A small guardian jetbike unit would give me a 4th scoring unit with some speed and a bit of shooting. Another option was pathfinders to sit back as the rest of the army marches into the enemy firestorm, guardians could also do this for me and give me another psyker so my lords are not tied so closely to the wraithguard line.

I have toyed with the idea of dropping yriel and putting in a big harlie unit to help free up wraithguard that get tied up in melee. The fact that the harlies are great models helps make this an interesting option. I have also looked at removing one of the wraithguard units ( probably for pathfinders or another triflamer storm unit ) This would give me some extra points to play with.

So please give me your ideas and thoughts on the list so far, what could be added, or what changes could be made.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    253 (x7)

I would drop the storm guardians, wave serpent, and yriel.

Then I would add an Avatar, Pathfinders or Defender Guardians

Harlequins to advance forward. Use the shadow seer and death jester. more shooty, VoT, and another psyker.

I would fortune the harlequins and avatar every turn with eldrad. With a fortuned 5++, i believe its 55% success rate. which is way better than 33.3%.

Then pray your wrathguard make it to cause head aches.
    Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points
    Chaos Daemons -Fate Crusher- 3500 Points
    Grey knights - 1000 Points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

108 (x4)

Hmm interesting. I always run my wraithguard fortuned, they are extremely pricey to loose. I had thought of dropping one of the wraithguard units for pathfinders. If I did that I could switch out yriel for the avatar and use the rest of the points for the harlie unit. Fortuning the guard and the avatar then use the VoT to keep the harlies safe. possibly changing to fortuning the harlies once the fight turned to close combat.

Is there a reason you would drop the storm squad and the transport or is it just to shave points? They are one of the few units in the list I feel good about when facing hordes.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    253 (x7)

Because A) horde armies are str 3, except orks on charge. Wrathguard are T 5 or 6...its doubtful they will inflict many wounds. and they have a good save. Its quite possible you will sweeping advance horde armies because they have low ld too. the 3 wrathlords are your main AT, then you can use the harlies as counter assault so the wrathlords dont get bogged down. To also save points I would turn 1 wrathlords into only have a sword and running every turn . and make the avatar run too. and the farseer if need be to keep up to fortune. basically move and run everything except the 2 shooty wrathlords.
    Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you dont need the two warlocks upgraded to spirit seers as wraiths dont need to test anyway as long as there 6inch away from a psyker, i suppose the long range wraithlords will use it first couple of turns anyway but id be tempted to run them all up together anyway, i often take lists that are really hard to kill , fortuned squads conceal locks and big jetbike squads really fit in thier with the turbo boost. i would say a big squad of bikes 10 maybe and three cannons is 250pts and that would help with the speed a bit so they can help out the wraithguards as soon as possible or maybe a 7-8 man warp spider squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

108 (x4)

For the wraithguard to count as troops the warlock needs to have spiritseer, I do plan on moving most of the army together but it is nice to have better coverage of psykers for more flexiblity on movement. As for bikes I am considering them as a scoring unit with speed and a bit of shooting but generally I run the around 6 strong, more and I struggle to hide them.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

253 (x7)

I would say you dont really need any speed detatchment, unless you want those turn 5 contesters, in wich case 3 jetbikes or a vyper (held in reserve of course) can do the trick.

I wouldnt waste points on spiders or a giant squad of bikes. Just run your eldar zilla army across the board. A standard board is 48" long. with 12" in deployments, leaving 24" in between. If you start your wrathlord and avatar at 12", you only have a couple turns of moving and running before you will find something of the enemys.
    Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

108 (x4)

Ok so I'm dragging this back up because I am going to field the list in an actual tournament is this weekend. I have played around with several lists but in the end have gone with a fairly classic wraith list.

HQ
    Eldrad 2**
    Yriel 1**

Elites
    10 harlequins 286
    troupe master, power weapon, shadow seer, 9 kisses

Troops

10 wraithguard 396
    warlock, spirit seer, conceal

10 wraithguard 396
    warlock, spirit seer, conceal

5 pathfinders 1**

Heavy

Wraithlord 155
    EML, brightlance, 2 flamers

Wraithlord 155
    EML, brightlance, 2 flamers

Wraithlord 125
    Eml, Sword, 2 flamers

total 1998

It offers up only 9 kill points and has 3 scoring units. I have found that unless all the force is good against small arms fire the weaker units were getting targeted and removed quickly. This is why the faster units ( like the guardians ) have been removed from the list. Now I did play this list twice in the last few days against other peoples tournament lists ( both working out the bugs in new lists themselves ) and did rather well. The tournament is going to be objective missions for W/L/D with VPs determining ties between the same records, as we didn't know what the missions are going to be we just lined up in pitched battles and fought for VPs.

I took this list against a marine players tournament list. And managed to survive the gun line he had and then slowly grind down the vehicles and small squads once I got up to him. This is actually one of the few times that I think the wraith list was a better match up than my normal mech council lists as he had around 20-30 str 6 or better shots around but few that punched through the 3+ saves of the wraithguard. When it ended I still had a nearly full strength guard unit with eldrad and yriel still alive and all 3 lords still kicking, only units that weren'tcombat effective were a guard unit down to a guard and the warlock and the harlies that were down to a fusin gun and the troupe master. VPs ended up being in my favor at 1200 to 400 roughly. It ended round 5 or I would have probably lost the harlies and the wraith unit but picked up a thunderfire cannon 2-3 razorbacks and 1 or 2 dreads so the difference is points would have been about the same.

I also took the list up against a nid players new list that he plans to run in the tournament. I feel the list he is using is fairly weak as aside from 4 MCs he had little that could bypass my 3+ saves and little that won combat against me consistently. I got to ID a tyrant ( thank you GW for not making them immune any more ) eldrad and yrield accounted for 2 more and the lords got the 4th. Fearless combat res killed off mass numbers of little nids and the runes of warding caused several wounds on the MCs. Don't remember the VP total but at the end of round 5 he had a broodlord, a genestealer, and a spore pod. I still had most of 1 guard unit a small part of the second, eldrad and yriel, the pathfinders and 1 lord.

I believe it to be the current meta at the store I am playing at but people are unprepared to handle the wraith wall with shooting ( few lists can handle them this way it seems) and most lists seem to be lacking the heavy melee punch to take them out also so at worst they are gettting tied up for several rounds and grinding down the enemy or the harlies come and clean up. The only thing that has been making me cry is landraiders with SS/TH termies. If I can break open the LR or atleast immobilize it the fight tends to go my way but if they get dumped into a wraithguard unit I will loose more often then not as I loose to much of my expensive shooting punch.

I was never able to get a game against a deepstrike heavy army so I am unsure how I will deal with them. I think I will reserve the harlies, and maybe some of the lords and outflank the pathfinders then sit close to my board edge with fortune up on the wraithguard. I hope they can weather the storm as my bait and thus put the newly arrived enemy units close to my edge for reserves to move on and pick prime targets.

Anyway thanks for reading all the way to the end if you did. If you didn't shame on you. In either case any minor changes to the list people would recommend or comments on how to handle deep strike and LR termies would be welcome and I will be posting up a summary of the tournament in a few days.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

253 (x7)

I read it, i am glad that the list is working out well for you.

I just hope you dont face a guy who has 3 vindicators. That is generally always my Heavy support choices when I play Marines. (they have a str 10 ap2 ordance weapon)
    Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

115 (x6)

Vindicators aren't usually taken from what I remember because of their short range, but they are devastating to wraithguard. Remember, you have 2" of coherency, USE IT! Though, your brightlances should be able to take them out with relative ease, or at least stop them from shooting.

Good luck, and make Iyaden proud!
    40k: Silver Angels of Our Martyred Lady 7/2/3 - Daemons of the Great Squiggle! 3/1/0
    Fantasy: Windhost of Athel'Loren 2/0/0 - Daemons of Another Great Squiggle! 0/0/0
    Warmahordes: Legion of Everblight (Absylonia)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast