1500pt vs Tau - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1500pt vs Tau

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    149 (x3)

1500pt vs Tau

This will be my first game against Tau and am looking for some input on my list.
    My opponent did state he will be using an 'unconventional Tau list'.
    I have the Tau codex (for study) and, well, here is goes.

1500pt
    HQ:
    Farseer w/Singing Spear, Stones of Witnessing, Spirit stones, Doom, Eldritch Storm, Fortune, Guide
    -or- Eldrad

Elite:
    Fire Dragons x6 +Exarch w/firepike, (or replace with Banshees)
    WaveSerpent with linked Shuriken Cannons, Spirit Stone

Howling Banshees x7 +Exarch w/Executioner, Acrobatic, War Shout

Striking Scorpions x7 +Exarch w/Biting Blade, and ShadowStrike

Troops:
    Pathfinders x5

Dire Avengers x6

Dire Avengers x6

Heavy Support:
    Fire Prism x2

So I know that Eldrad is often considered too expensive for 1500 but divination is soo awesome!
    I did give the farseer 4 powers, but that's also because I don't know what to expect and think Elrdritch Storm might be very useful (at killing/pinning troops and spinning vehicles), and guide good for Fire Prisms or Pathfinders.

My idea is to infiltrate the Scorpion Serpent and assault unit/vehicle of my choice first turn. This also will throw him off by having a threat in his lines right away, giving time for my Banshees and Fire Dragons (or 2nd unit of Banshees) time to get up the board.

The Pathfinders will sit back and in cover to hit his crisis suits and hopefully rend and/or soften up targets for the CC troops. The DA's are more a reaction/grab objectives while the Aspect warriors do the hard work.

War Walkers or Dark Reapers are another option instead of the Fire Prism(s).

-John

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Okay, definitely take Eldrad instead of that other set up...if you want all 4 of the powers that bad, then at least do yourself a favor and be able to use 3 different ones a turn instead of only 2.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can't infiltrate Scorpions if they are in a serpent. Which is fortunate for you, because those 6 man foot slogging avenger squads are kind of garbage. You should infiltrate the scorps and give their serpent to a 10 man avenger bladestorm squad. Then Eldrad should ride with the the banshees or avengers, and those serpents should fly together and you should doom two targets per turn. one for the avengers to shoot up and the other for the banshees to charge. Then use fortune/guide/eldritch storm as you see fit.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

149 (x3)

So here's what I ended up running:

Eldrad
    Dire Avengers x9 +Exarch w/dual catipults, bladestorm
    Wave Serpet w/Spirit Stone and Linked Shuriken Cannons

Banshees x9 +Exarch w/Executioner, Acrobatic, War Shout

Fire Dragons x5

Pathfinders x5

Striking Scorpions x8 +Exarch w/both powers

Fire Prism x2
    ------------------------------

Eldrad fortuned the Banshee and Fire Dragon WS's before they went Flat Out (this saved them vs railguns)

Fire Prisms were useless, mostly due to bad die rolling

Scorpions got wiped out before they could get into CC (though the Tau railgun tanks did this, this allowing my WaveSerpents to get closer)

Eldrad and the DA's hung back near objective and soaked up an unbelievable amount of damage (thanks to fortune), then dished it out thanks to guide and doom.

However I lost...in turn 4 my Banshees had just wipe out a Fire Dragon squad when they rolled double 6's for a pinning test and were subsequently gunned down (as they lay down).

Then Eldrad and the DA failed a morale check with less than 50% left and fell back from the objective, this leaving it open.

A very fun game and my first against Tau. Looking forward to next time.

-John

hind sight...my original list would've fared better. Transporting the Scorpions and having 3 scoring units (though not very hard hitting) would've proved better. Should keep Eldrad near pathfinders to guide them methinks.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    253 (x7)

You can't infiltrate or deepstrike in a transport, but you can outflank.
    Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points
    Chaos Daemons -Fate Crusher- 3500 Points
    Grey knights - 1000 Points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not really sure the first list would run better, it seems as if you just had lousy luck.
    As for the scorpions, i find the best way to use them is outflank, as you usually have enough targets to choose from, and have 2/3 of a chance to get here you want to. Infiltrate rarely worked for me.

If i were you, though, i'd drop eldrad, and go with the regular farseer, with doom, fortune and spirit stones (130) and a regular guideeseer (75), totaling in 205, which is 5 points under Eldrad's price. Put the doomseer with one of the DA squads, with fortune they will be very survivable, and guideseer with your pathfinders, though i think pathfinders should hit enough as it is. Personally, i'd go with a fortuneseer (85) instead of the guideseer, and put him with the banshees.

Usually, i run banshees with doom and fortune, however, against Tau, it might not be all that necessary. Fortune is still nice to get them to where they need to be, but otherwise, i'm pretty sure they kick plenty of blue ass as is.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

149 (x3)

Thank you for the input. I completely forgot about flanking, and that would've made a huge difference.

+ Reply to Thread