Ard Boyz List Idea - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Ard Boyz List Idea

BUGS DROPPING FROM THE SKY...well, mostly

Hive Tyrant: Wings, STx2, Hive Commander
    I am assuming that he will be able to deep strike in with the rest of the force, if the FAQ does not address this issue I will be pissed because I see this as the only truly viable option for an all reserve list to get Hive Commander.

Alpha Warrior: Boneswords, DS
    Dropping in with one of the warrior broods

Zoanthropes x3: Spore Pod

Zoanthropes x3: Spore Pod
    Pretty self explanatory

Death Leaper
    Helps the thrope's blasts get off

Hormagaunts x20: Adrenal Glands, Toxin Sacs
    This squad outflanks via hive commander and presents a true 18" threat range off of the table edge

Genestealers x15:

Genestealers x15:
    Outflank or inflitrate depending on what opportunities arise.

Warriors x7: ST, Death Spitters, Spore Pod
    Guard my own objective or put the hurt on some infantry

Warriors x7: ST, Bone Swords, Spore Pod
    Must Kill Nobs

Mawloc:

Mawloc:

This leaves me 5pts to play with.
    Bonuses to this list are...
    • I own all of the models,
    • Threats get were they need to go without taking 2/3 rounds of shooting,
    • Should allow quick turns, which is important at Ard Boyz
    • Good Bye Land Raiders,
    • +1 to reserves...IMO...is just fine
    Threats...
    • Opponents that go 2nd and put everything of theirs in reserve, this is part of the reason I do not want the +2 to reserves as then I have nothing on later turns to reinforce weak flanks
    • Only 2 anti tank shooting units, need to test how effective it will be against parking lots
    • You Tell Me!?!
    Please let me know what you think of the list, as well as the possibility of reserve lists in general.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

I don't think you get the bonus +1 to reserves if your flyrant is not "in play". Thus you're going to have to deploy him, or at least be able to defend yourself when your opponents says that he can't do that. The norm is a unit has to be in play to use it's abilities/wargear unless the ability itself states that it can be used while he's not in play.

The list is pretty good for a non-monstrous list. However, I feel that you should try to fit one of the best units - the Tervigon - in there (+ some termagaunts). Outflank him instead and he'll be popping gaunts on his way in. Combined with poisoned attacks, furious charge and counter-attack, those could be some nasty gaunts.

Also, IMO the hive guards are much better than zoans. Why? 1) Rhinos, wave serpents and chimeras are much more common than land raiders and monoliths, 2) they can go hide behind buildings and shoot safely, 3) no cover for vehicles that don't pop smoke, 4) don't have to worry about psychic hoods, runic weapons or runes of warding and 5) zoans tend to get assaulted on the turn after they drop and die. On average, they wipe out a 35-120pt transport and next turn you're losing an 180pt unit. Get 1 squad of each. With the points left over, consider investing in a tervigon + termagaunts.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

I am writing this response directly after reading your reply, so bear with me a little.

I am trying to wrap my head around the outflanking Tervigon. I picture this MC as being most effective in the first two rounds of play in order to keep your other gribblies alive and build up your scoring units. Him arriving turn two and hitting something with Catalyst that has also just arrived sounds interesting, though.

The real idea of this list is to end deployment with nothing on the table. Hive guard are a unit that I have considered as a lure...place them behind some terrain and if my opponent advances his forces to pursue them then they become more vulnerable to my deep striking. I will simply have to playtest more to find out which I prefer. At the moment though, I am firmly entrenched in the Zoanthrope's camp.

As far as the Hive Commander power...the only stipulation that it states is that the Tyrant must be alive for the ability to work...and even if he is in reserve, he is still alive.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Sniperfex215 View Post
    I am trying to wrap my head around the outflanking Tervigon. I picture this MC as being most effective in the first two rounds of play in order to keep your other gribblies alive and build up your scoring units. Him arriving turn two and hitting something with Catalyst that has also just arrived sounds interesting, though.
    While you could outflank him, you don't have to depending on scenario and deployment. But at least you have the flexibility. Think about it. In a lot of objective missions, usually there would be an objective in or near the enemy deployment zone. By outflanking the tervigon and spouting forth gaunts means that you can actually claim it, and with a monstrous creature that's hard to get rid of. Plus, it'll add a lot of pressure on the opponent to have to face so many monstrous creatures/dangerous units all at once. Meanwhile, your gaunts will be claiming your home objective. With so many TMC's coming at the opponent at the same time, he'd be forced to ignore your gaunts at the home objective to defend his turf.

The real idea of this list is to end deployment with nothing on the table. Hive guard are a unit that I have considered as a lure...place them behind some terrain and if my opponent advances his forces to pursue them then they become more vulnerable to my deep striking. I will simply have to playtest more to find out which I prefer. At the moment though, I am firmly entrenched in the Zoanthrope's camp.
    Sound strategy. I think that's the nids most competitive build - the all-reserve deepstriking/outflanking army.

As far as the Hive Commander power...the only stipulation that it states is that the Tyrant must be alive for the ability to work...and even if he is in reserve, he is still alive.
    Ok, consider this scenario. A Grey Knight w/psychic hood (unlimited range for DH's) is in reserves. Can he still use his hood while he is there?

The norm is that a unit must be in play to do anything. You have to be in play to move, to shoot, to assault, to fall back, to use a psychic power, etc. It doesn't have to say that the unit must be in play. That's a given. It's one of the fundamental mechanics of the game.

What the rule is saying is that the tyrant must be alive. Every thing else must still obey the fundamentals of the game, unless stated otherwise under the special rule's description. Thus, the rule must also specify that the power works even if the tyrant is reserves. Otherwise, it has to be in play.

We may disagree here, but just be aware that in tourney setting, there will be people who will challenge you on this.
    Last edited by jy2; January 31st, 2010 at 00:57.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by jy2 View Post
    Ok, consider this scenario. A Grey Knight w/psychic hood (unlimited range for DH's) is in reserves. Can he still use his hood while he is there?

The norm is that a unit must be in play to do anything. You have to be in play to move, to shoot, to assault, to fall back, to use a psychic power, etc. It doesn't have to say that the unit must be in play. That's a given. It's one of the fundamental mechanics of the game.

What the rule is saying is that the tyrant must be alive. Every thing else must still obey the fundamentals of the game, unless stated otherwise under the special rule's description. Thus, the rule must also specify that the power works even if the tyrant is reserves. Otherwise, it has to be in play.

We may disagree here, but just be aware that in tourney setting, there will be people who will challenge you on this.
    My counterpoint would be that Hive Commander is an inherent ability while psychic hood is piece of wargear. Also, the Lictors pherimone trail states that the lictors presence on the board is required while Hive Commander does not.

+ Reply to Thread